News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Byron

Walking Golf Shoes
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
I posted this elsewhere but since there are a good number of golf walkers here and since I have purchased and worn some of the new "walkable" golf shows out there I would like your opinion. I would note that the pga tour players are increasingly wearing these shoes - justin rose, freddie couples, kenny perry, ryan moore, even tiger woods. In addition to other brands I have I recently purchased and tried the True Linkswear shoe which is probably the most extreme - it advertises being similar to playing barefoot. So..my question to players online, is the effect these flat shoes have on your balance, swing and posture - no heels, closer to the ground, etc - and in general comfort and "golfability". Have you tried them? Has it affected any of the pros I mentioned in your opinion? Will more players switch over to these new shoes now that all the brand names have a model?
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Joe Leenheer

Re: Walking Golf Shoes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:10:33 AM »
My Nike Lunar Controls are the best "traditional" shoe I've owned to walk in. Light, comfy,& water proof
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 05:49:59 AM »
I like the Lunar Control...I like everything Nike put out, except for those pinchy tour models a few years back. Adidas has a cool-looking Samba golf shoe coming out this year~one design for each of the four majors...

I find that it helps me to feel what the architect hoped to communicate through topographical undulation. My eyes are two-dimension only (one reason why I have no pluck when it comes to reading putts) so the connection through my tootsies helps me sense differences in the earth.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »
Welcome Jonathan. You'll be happy to find that many folks here play wearing the Trues including me. Most comfortable golf shoes I've ever owned.

You'll also be happy to know that the company's co-founder, Rob Rigg, is a member of this discussion group.

Cheers

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »
Jonathan,

I wore nothing but Ecco's for years.  That is until I tried the Trues.  They're like wearing slippers. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Paul Jones

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »
I like to wear Trues when I am playing in the afternoon or playing a lot of golf - most comfortable golf shoe I have tried.  However, I still perfer FootJoy Icon or Ecco (ones that have screw-in cleats) for better grip - especially if it is a wet (or even just dew on the ground). 
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:52:08 AM »
For full disclosure...  I have always struggled with my left foot moving on my downswing - people that do not have that problem might not need the better traction of the screw-in cleats.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:14:47 AM »

You'll also be happy to know that the company's co-founder, Rob Rigg, is a member of this discussion group.

Welcome, Jonathan.

Here's a link to a good "get to know" thread featuring Rob Rigg.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48974.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jon Byron

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:17:01 AM »
I thought it was interesting on Sunday that Woods changed shoes during the round to try to deal with achilles issue. Perhaps Rob Rigg should send along a pair of True Linkswear to him for Augusta!
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, a new member of the site who's very first post mentions True Linkswear. Have to wonder what kind of devious thing that Rob Rigg is up to now. ;)

Come to think of it, his second post not only mentions True Linkswear, but also Rob Rigg.
 :o
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 11:52:46 AM »
The best shoes out there are Trues and it's not even close.

JSlonis

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 12:05:53 PM »
I tried on a pair of the new Ecco Biom Hybrid shoes last week and they were incredibly comfortable.  I got apair of theTrue's when they first came out and although they are comfortable, I have a narrow foot and I can't get past the "Clown shoe" look. 

I've always preferred a more traditional looking shoe.  One of the best shoes that I've worn that are a blend of traditional and sporty are the FJ Sport golf shoes.  Lightweight, stable and very comfortable.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
I tried on a pair of the new Ecco Biom Hybrid shoes last week and they were incredibly comfortable.  I got apair of theTrue's when they first came out and although they are comfortable, I have a narrow foot and I can't get past the "Clown shoe" look. 

I've always preferred a more traditional looking shoe.  One of the best shoes that I've worn that are a blend of traditional and sporty are the FJ Sport golf shoes.  Lightweight, stable and very comfortable.

Try the True Stealth.

JSlonis

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »

Try the True Stealth.

I'll take a look at them, thanks.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 12:44:15 PM »
Jonathan,

I was with a well respected golf professional recently and he predicted that in 2-3 years, traditional golf shoes will be a memory.

However, I did play with a fellow who was wearing the new shoe recently and after a brief sun shower, he slipped noticeably on his swing.

I'm not so sure that the current tread will suffice when it's wet.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 12:54:41 PM »
The Freddies by Ecco are the best walking show I have ever seen. My first round in them was on a hilly course on a wet morning. The course is one we all dream to play. they were perfect. I did not have any footing issues whatsoever, even on wet side hill lies with long irons and 3 woods etc.

Kirk Moon

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »
The Trues I have are extremely comfortable.  Like wearing slippers.

They do not have quite the same grip as soft spike shoes.  If the grass is wet from dew or rain I experience a slipped left foot once or twice a round.  This never happens to me when I am wearing soft spikes.

As a result, I only wear them when the grass is completely dry.  But they are my preferred shoe in such conditions.

YMMV.

Edit: I just went to their web site and discovered that they have modified the design of their sole since I bought my shoes a year ago.  The sole now has a number of small round "spikes" that it didn't have before.  I suspect that this might very well eliminate the problem with the occasional slip that the old sole has.  Looks like they have also toned down the "clown shoe" aspect with their newer designs as well.   Will have to try them out.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:42:28 PM by Kirk Moon »

Randy St John

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »
The Trues are hands down the most comfortable shoe I have ever played in.  The slippage issue does not affect me, wet or dry.  Maybe all the weight on top of them?  I wore Ecco's for years until the Trues came out.  Lot of dust on the Ecco pairs now.

Michael George

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
I wear Ecco's (Freddie) when it is dry and a more "cleaty" Footjoy when wet.  Love both of them.

Have not tried the Trues but plan on doing so when my current shoes wear out.  Unfortunately, with 5 kids, I don't play that much anymore so it may be 2013 before I buy another pair.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 01:10:44 PM »
Trues or Freddie Eccos. All I wear.

Ken Fry

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »
Got the Trues, loved them immediately.  The only part of my game it took some adjustment was with putting!  Anyone else have the same experience?

Ken

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »
amateurgolf.com review of the True Links shoes, including an interview with Mr. Rigg:

http://www.amateurgolf.com/6986-GolfNews-TRUE-phx-Golf-Shoe-Review

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
If you are an avid walking golfer, Trues are the only way to go.  I literally can not picture anyone trying on Trues and thinking there is something better and more comfortable.  If you try them on, if have to buy them.  They are so light and the wide toe box is my favorite part to let those toes spread out and grip on their own.  It actually inspired me to start running in the Vibram five fingered shoes and wearing barefoot shoes all the time.  Amazing shoe. 

David Harshbarger

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
If you are an avid walking golfer, Trues are the only way to go.  I literally can not picture anyone trying on Trues and thinking there is something better and more comfortable.  If you try them on, if have to buy them.  They are so light and the wide toe box is my favorite part to let those toes spread out and grip on their own.  It actually inspired me to start running in the Vibram five fingered shoes and wearing barefoot shoes all the time.  Amazing shoe. 

Ditto on the barefoot running shoes.  Next up barefoot dress shoes.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 10:02:45 PM »

Ditto on the barefoot running shoes.  Next up barefoot dress shoes.

I actually went to high school and graduated with Chris McDougall:

http://www.chrismcdougall.com/

I am sorry but I like a little heel on my golf and running shoes. Yes I have a pair of Trues and I prefer my Ecco's.

PS. I am still a little pissed off 30+ years later that McDougall got into Harvard and The Jesuits could only get me into Boston College. So take all of the above as another indication of Philly guys having a little chip on their shoulders!  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back