News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Colin Macqueen

Re: Scotland at the forefront as always!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »
Marty,

Ach, the prescience of thae Fifers particklerly!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »
You can also give shoutout to the gca-study program at Cornell University, whose alums include Gil Hanse & Tom Doak (and Robert Trent Jones).

Marcus Kaye

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »
I think thats great news. Hanse > Nicholas all day long for me. I haven't yet had the fortune to play Crail (want to try and fit it in this april) but managed to grab a round at Rustic Canyon last year, which has to be one of the best public courses in California.
Didn't Gill Hanse have a hand in helping Kyle Phillips at Kingsbarns also?

My first post btw. Hello all...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:35:28 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdelbaset_al-Megrahi

I miss Scotch and hate the thought that I will never see her great courses.  Even that didn't hurt as bad as giving my son my Linn amp. He didnt have a clue how great it was.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 07:59:59 PM »
We hear you loud and clear John!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »

John

Keep seeking the high ground or would it be more appropriate to suggest that ‘he who is without sin should cast the first stone’. And boy have you some beauties hidden away never to have been dealt correctly with the full force of the law.
The steady flow of dollars into the killing fields of Northern Ireland and let’s not forget that disaster at Bhopal and Union Carbide getting away with just a smack on the wrists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster The total deaths for both the above exceed the poor victims of Lockerbie and 9/11 combined. Get some balance into your sad life John and let’s keep this site clear of attacks against Scotland 

Yet I suppose the silver lining being that you will never again darken our courses. Great there must indeed be a God.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »
Johnny-boy,
I trust you're building all your roads out of concrete or asphalt too. Don't want to be using any Scottish products there, no sir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Loudon_McAdam

Always a pleasure.

F.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:09:10 PM by Martin Glynn Bonnar »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »
MHM and FBD.  An unholy alliance not to be messed with.........
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 04:19:05 PM »
MHM and FBD.  An unholy alliance not to be messed with.........

;D ;D ;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »
I think thats great news. Hanse > Nicholas all day long for me. I haven't yet had the fortune to play Crail (want to try and fit it in this april) but managed to grab a round at Rustic Canyon last year, which has to be one of the best public courses in California.
Didn't Gill Hanse have a hand in helping Kyle Phillips at Kingsbarns also?

My first post btw. Hello all...

Marcus,
nearly missed your first post in amongst all the usual keech. WELCOME!!!
All the best. Drop me a PM if you'd like to catch up while in Bonnie Scotland.
We're not all international terrorists.
cheers,
FBD.

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »
"Scottish or British?"  Interesting article in today's Financial Times:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/99b307c0-690d-11e1-956a-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1okj2cTRG

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 06:06:29 PM »

Braveheart the 1995 film c/o Mr Mel Gibson who has not only lost his own identity, but seem uncertain of his nationality too was a total load of ballocks. Gibson film corrupted the truth and the hard fought battles in the pursuit of Scotland’s idea of freedom. Today that freedom is tangible in that that our Royal House claim to the throne is through the Stuart Kings of Scotland. We have two voices one in our Scottish Parliament and one at Westminster. We can interfere in English laws but the English cannot do the same to us as they have no say in our Scottish Parliament.

I am, subject to age, available to be called up to serve Scotland in her armed forces as and when that happens, but as I do not live in Scotland (at the present time) I have no right in voting for or against an independent Scotland. So say the SNP who reassure us that they seriously care about the Scottish Nation and her people.

One has to wonder if the SNP is the latest film being released by Mel Gibson, because again one wonders just how much of the truth will be distorted this time and will Scotland history be one of the first casualties?

Melvyn

PS A thought, in the 20th Century we went to war against many countries, so does that mean that we boycott their products, companies and travelling to their countries. Or have we all owned some Italian, German, Japanese etc., etc. goods be it cars, cloths, domestic appliances etc., etc.  Or is it just John who has decided to blame one of the victims of the Lockerbie attack, yes I mean Scotland and her people. Yet I recall a report on the CIA furnishing Gaddafi and Libya with arms and explosives in the 1980’s – What a mad, mad, mad, mad world we live in and it’s getting worse when a country for the right reasons seeks closure with what was intentionally meant to be a humanitarian act or is this just another massive movie set directed and written by a Mr Mel Gibson?

The early history of golf was so much easier to understand, come on let’s change the subject and have another debate about Merion apparently they have some Tom Morris clubs in their clubhouse.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 07:58:24 PM »
Melvyn,

My boycott of all things Scottish harms no one but me, I don't see your concern. I am very happy to report that I finally found the peaty taste in scotch I miss so dearly in an Irish whisky named Connemara. It brings my relief but little pleasure.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »

John

You seem to reflect so well the very things that you despise in others

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 08:20:22 PM »
As Tom and Gilbert will attest, there is no GCA course of study at Cornell. Instead, they study landscape architecture and go from there. I did an interview with TD once and, if you PM me, I'll send you a link.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 08:45:21 PM »
Melvyn,
I think Merion has trees too. Their collection is really something to see. Was there a few weeks ago,very nice.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
"As Tom and Gilbert will attest, there is no GCA course of study at Cornell."

Ronald M. -

You are correct. Cornell U. does not have a formal GCA study program. That being said, the fact that both T. Doak and G. Hanse did study there implies that, at the very least, the time they studied there was time well spent.

I was merely trying to reflect a little glory upon the alma mater I share with them. ;)

DT   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
"As Tom and Gilbert will attest, there is no GCA course of study at Cornell."

Ronald M. -

You are correct. Cornell U. does not have a formal GCA study program. That being said, the fact that both T. Doak and G. Hanse did study there implies that, at the very least, the time they studied there was time well spent.

I was merely trying to reflect a little glory upon the alma mater I share with them. ;)

DT   

The only official degree conferred in golf course architecture was a Masters program at Edinburgh University in Scotland, which ran for about ten years.  Among those who went through it are my former shaper Chris Hunt, and his classmate Frank Pont who posts here frequently.

Cornell gave me a post-graduate scholarship [the Dreer Award, an endowed scholarship in the Dept. of Floriculture & Ornamental Horticulture, of which Landscape Architecture is a part] to go and spend my year in the UK and Ireland, from the summer of 1982 to 1983.  It was so helpful to me that they have since given it out several more times to guys interested in golf course architecture, including Gil Hanse and Chris Monti and David Zinkand.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 07:17:21 AM »
Not Edinburgh Uni, Tom. Actually was Heriot-Watt Uni./Edinburgh College of Art. Shared many lectures and studio space with the Landscape Architecture students.
cheers,
MB.

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
Quite correct Marty. As one of the first guinea pigs students who did the course in the first year I have the dubious distinction of being the first to fail the course (or at least not complete it). Thoroughly enjoyed it but for the life of me couldn't see how I was going to make a living at it. I recall phoning one of the UK's leading gca's at the time for some advice, and honestly thought about calling in the Samaritans after the conversation, never have I heard such negative chat from someone who supposedly was at the top of the profession. At the end of the day it seemed that staying in property was a better bet  ::)

Its good to see Frank and others prove I was wrong. More power to their elbow.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
Niall,
actually been cleaning out this weekend and came across much of my coursework - been ten years since. Eek!
I'm not sure how many of the 15 or 16 guys I did the course with are still in the industry either. I gave it a couple of years of earning hee-haw, before becoming a 'Parkie'!!! "Get off my Grass!!!" ;)
cheers,
M.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 04:44:01 AM »
.....and don't forget this  :o

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 06:17:46 AM »
Jim,

Priceless!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
Jim

Is that a microwaveable version?  If so, where can I buy it!

I'm tired of plucking and gutting and boiling to death those cute but devious little bastards............

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back