News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Padraig Dooley

Re: 10,000 hours tp become a golf pro?
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »
Desire, mental control, passion,control of fear...all can be taught but that does not mean learnt...that is the thing many just do not get..
the disparity between teachnig and learning...one does not mean the other.

One can practice a task for the quoted 10000 hours and not learn it as well as somebody else..individual differences..this is what makes stars and wanna ne's.
The myelin that is laid down to learn motor tasks is not the same for everybody..just putting in the time does not guarentee the response suggested on this thread.

Read the book" the talent code ', and all will be revealed!!!!

Michael are these qualities innate? What of the players who choked early on in their careers but won afterwards? Did they not learn?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
Okay, I have it!
10,000 hours to hit a driver
10,000 hours to hit fairway woods
10,000 hours for long irons
10,000 hours for short irons
10,000 hours for various wedges
10,000 hours for various chip shots
10,000 hours to develop touch and a solid putting stroke
10,000 hours to learn to read putts
10,000 hours to put it all together and be a great club player
10,000 hours to learn how to do it in tournaments

Okay, NOW you're ready....OOPS  forgot sidehill,uphill,downhill,wind,altitude,and a sore back ;D

Pat, just curious as to what your athletic history was when you were growing up? What sports did you play, at what ages, when did you start playing golf, how much work did you do and how long did it take you to become an expert?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bill Ward

« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2011, 06:00:33 PM »
"It takes ten years of applying ones trade to be considered an expert...to become a Master involves some devine intervention...whtever that may be"
Einstein

- Pablo Picasso

I borrowed that second one from Padraig, but I really think these two say it all.  Something about this idea rubs me the wrong way.  The complete lack of passion. 

George Pazin

« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2011, 06:02:20 PM »
Don't worry, Bill - without that passion, people will never make 10 years or 10,000 hours.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Pat Burke

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2011, 02:52:49 AM »

Pat, just curious as to what your athletic history was when you were growing up? What sports did you play, at what ages, when did you start playing golf, how much work did you do and how long did it take you to become an expert?

[/quote]\\

Padraig,
Let's be careful on the "expert" thing!
My mother and father were club professionals, as was my grandfather (and his 3 brothers).  Obviously, we were a grumpy family.
I grew up in New Jersey, USA.  Really started playing golf around age 7 in the summers.  At around 13 or 14, pretty much played most summer days after caddying. 
I actually started playing ice hockey when I was 7 too.  Spent a greater part of my time playing hockey than golf.  By the time I was in high school, ice hockey was two teams, and 8-9 months.  Even played summer leagues at times.. 
Injuries and a severe case of being really short, led me to going to college on a golf scholarship.  I won the state championship my senior year in high school, but really never played full time until I went to college.
Quit school to go to work in California at 19 years old.  Played a little, but was not really that serious about it.  Quit playing at 20 years old for a year as I re entered school and was working full time.
Started playing for my junior college team, and won conference.  Transferred to CS Dominguez Hills at age 21/22.  Played 2 years and worked full time as an asst superintendent at Friendly Hills CC. 
Was transferring to Cal Poly Pomona when I found out my major was impacted.  When told I wasn't going to get my classes for at least a year, I turned professional and played mini tours.  Played for 1 1/2 years on Golden State Tour, then quit working and started playing full time at age 26.  Less than a year later, I qualified for the PGA Tour.  Just your normal path to the tour!

David_Elvins

« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2011, 07:04:24 AM »
In golf performance is entirely to do with training.

As I stated in my first post, I am amazed that people still think this.

You dont think putting is related to eyesight, for example? 

David, Vision is the most important sense when it comes to putting. What point do you want to make about eyesight?

I don't think anybody has provided any evidence as how performance isn't entirely to do with training. I don't see only one type of person on tour, I see many types.

how do you learn eyesight? Surely it is a natural ability.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Steve Okula

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2011, 02:36:45 PM »
Pele didn't become the greatest soccer player ever because no one else started playing as early or played as much as he did. Millions of kids all over several continents played the game with as much effort and desire as Pele, probably some of them more, yet Pele was palying professionally at sixteen years old. He was blessed with an extraordinary natural ability.

On the other hand, Gary Player will tell you that he has no special talent except for a rigid, indefatigable, work ethic.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:42:47 PM by Steve Okula »
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »
After just passing the 2,500 hour mark of his goal of 10,000 hours, an update from Golf.com:

10.3 handicap
2,533: hours
253,300: Number of shots struck (including putts)
160,000: Number of putts rolled
1,500: Hours spent on putting and chipping
300: Hours spent on the course
300: Hours spent in the gym
271: Number of blog entries written
102: Worst round since he started keeping score in December 2011
80: Best round
13: Number of books read about golf or learning
7: Number of pairs of golf shoes worn out
6: Number of wedges worn down

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/dan-mclaughlin-quit-his-job-play-10000-hours-golf
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John_Conley

« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »
Howard, do any of those numbers surprise you?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2012, 11:09:05 PM »
Howard, do any of those numbers surprise you?

300: Hours spent on the course

Only 12% of his time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:18:38 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2012, 02:42:09 AM »
I'm surprised how little he is playing, at the end of the day scoring is what counts and you don't learn to score on the range.
Cave Nil Vino

David_Elvins

« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2012, 03:04:22 AM »
do any of those numbers surprise you?

A 10.3 handicap with a best score of 80 (but I suspect that is a comment on the ridiculousness of the handicapping system. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: 10,000 hours tp become a golf pro? New
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2012, 03:56:42 AM »
After just passing the 2,500 hour mark of his goal of 10,000 hours, an update from Golf.com:

2,533: hours
253,300: Number of shots struck (including putts)

Seems like he just took the no of hours and multipied by 100.   Now that's fast play....or BS. :o
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:13:47 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back