News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re: The Best Finish in Golf
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
Minnesotans:

Haven't played either of them enough to know, but Northland's and Interlachen's 16-18 both seem really good to me.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

David Stewart

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
It gets overlooked next to Pinehurst, but the finish at Mid-Pines is really good. From hole 14 to the end is a great stretch of holes. As Ran said in the course profile, some consider 18 to be the best finishing hole in the state.

William_G

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »
Mac, good point.

I think I'm referring to both watching and playing with Sawgrass...my buddies and I had a 3 day Ryder Cup alternating from the white to the blue to the gold tees and there was serious choking happening on the final day...I mean, we found out how far right you can hit your drive on 18, LOL

FWIW...best thing I did was have a caddie all 3 days to allow to walk...simply awesome!

Another thread may be in order however
It's all about the golf!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
Merion's is pretty strong.

Indeed it is.

I like Ballyneal's final three holes.

Final 18 holes.

Now, that's a man who knows how to pay a compliment!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
I tell you what, Castle Course has a very good finishing stretch.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:18:25 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Anthony Gray

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »

I would have to agree The Castle Course is a fine finish. You don't see many cliffs in Scotland

Bill Gayne

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2012, 08:28:58 PM »
It's been a while but Ithink the Kiawah Ocean Course will provide a great finish for the pros.

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »
Oakmont

hhuffines

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 08:55:24 PM »
So what is the best finishing stretch in North Carolina?  One of my favorites is Forest Creek South.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »
I LOVE 15-18 at Bandon Dunes.

15-17 is so wonderfully incredible and thrilling beyond most anything I've played before with 16 being the best hole I've ever played.  17 following that up with incredible and thrilling golf.  And I love the way it ends on 18, it is like the post-coital cuddle.  The thrill is over and you can think about that thrill while easing into another frame of mind and activity.

Mac:

Your "post-coital cuddle" should take place in the bar over a pint.  I'd rather have my eighteenth hole be a (to avoid going too far down this path I won't use the word climax) highlight.

Other solid closing stretches I haven't seen mentioned:  Ballybunion, Sleepy Hollow, TCC, Skokie
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jeremy Rudock

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »
So what is the best finishing stretch in North Carolina?  One of my favorites is Forest Creek South.

Old North State or Quail Hollow get my vote.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 05:30:56 AM »
Royal Melbourne (West) -- three fantastic, demanding holes, calling for a variety of shots off tees and into greens.

Scott

Is RM#18 that strong ? As a collection I prefer RME only because I think #18 on the West is a bit of a let down on the holes that precede it

Scott Warren

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2012, 06:08:39 AM »
Really? Why?

Jud_T

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:07:09 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2012, 05:46:05 AM »
Really? Why?

These are the reasons why I don't think #18 RMW is that great a hole
- only advantage by driving the corner is a shorter 2nd shot (given the blindness no bets one doesn't end up in the rough)
- despite the shorter 2nd shot one is faced with the big right green side bunker
- the green opens up and is best approached from outside the dogleg
- semi blind OOB left
- greensite choice is poor at best - flat
- little internal movement

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2012, 02:27:52 PM »
Kevin,
The case for the defence.

18 West does have OOB left - but has anyone ever hit it there? It is hardly 18 at Carnoustie.
In theory it is better from the outside if the opening of the green is the measure but that front right bunker does not eat into the green at all as exerts little influence over anything but a duff.
The green tilts quite steeply from left to right - and playing from the inside gives you a shot that is more into the slope than across it - which is what you get from the left.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2012, 07:37:31 PM »
I can't get enough of The Bear Trap.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2012, 09:39:50 PM »
Royal Melbourne (West) -- three fantastic, demanding holes, calling for a variety of shots off tees and into greens.

Scott

Is RM#18 that strong ? As a collection I prefer RME only because I think #18 on the West is a bit of a let down on the holes that precede it

Both RMW and RME enjoy a wonderful final three holes. However, RMW wins out for me due to the current 17th on the East.

Personally, I love #18 on the West. It's a beautiful sweeping dogleg and a wonderful approach shot to a huge green full of internal contours not obvious to the eye. And who doesn't love carrying their drive over fearsome looking bunkers, irrespective of how short the carry is?
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2012, 11:15:28 PM »
Joe Leenheer,

Could you define the context of the finish ?

Difficulty ?
Diversity ?
Scenic ?

Thanks

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2012, 11:36:56 PM »
Joe Leenheer,

Could you define the context of the finish ?

Difficulty ?
Diversity ?
Scenic ?

Thanks

Patrick, would all three of the things you listed not just be considered factors in determining the BEST finish in golf?

Of course, overall this is subjective, but perhaps there could be a set list of guidelines in determining the quality of the finish of a golf course.

For example:
Is it a windy site?
To what extent do the finishing holes interact differently with the wind?
Variety of the final three holes.
Sequencing of final three holes.
Sequencing of final three holes in relation to the rest of the back nine/rest of the course.
Difficulty.
Beauty.
Probably several more but this is off the top of my head

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 07:02:03 AM »
I think it's time for me to leave this site, I saw the headline and immediately thought;

Bread and butter pudding at Sandwich

The cheeseboard at Rye

Metzendorf at Prestwick
Cave Nil Vino

Tom Kelly

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2012, 07:31:44 AM »
Regarding the Castle Course, 16 and 17 are both fairly strong, 17 especially, but I'm not a fan of 18 myself, the setting is fantastic but I find it to be a really forced and rather strange hole. It would be much better imo if the tee was further left on top of one of the big dunes/mounds. It would open up the angle better offering bigger hitters more chance to take on the narrowed section of the fairway at the corner, which at the moment from the current angle is almost impossible to hold and therefore really limits the strategic options of the hole. It would also let you see where the cliffs on the corner are, currently you can't really see the cliff edge on the right of the landing area and the hole doesn't really gives you anything to aim at from the tee. I find it very disorientating and can imagine first time players really struggling to work out what is going on, not realising that they should be aiming what feels like miles left. The tee being higher would also give you a great view of the whole hole set out in front of you. making for a spectacular climax to the round.

As for good finishes I would go for:

St Andrews (Old)
St Andrews (Jubilee) - from 15-18
Carnoustie

I also like Ian Andrew's suggestion of Commonwealth too, not one that would initially spring to mind but they are three of the strongest holes on the course, 17 is a great little hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back