News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

13 at Cabo Del Sol
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »

Very intimidating. Where do you miss it?

Anthony

Tom_Doak

Re: 13 at Cabo Del Sol
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
Anthony:

Is that the drop shot par-3, or the short par-4?

I didn't like the par-3 so much because there ISN'T anyplace to miss it.  Others would say that's its strength.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »

It is the par 3 Tom. Scary shot.

Anthony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »
Short right - where most avergae players hit it

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »
Greg:

How do you deliberately miss short right on a hole which has a cross hazard in front of the green?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:14 PM »
Greg:

How do you deliberately miss short right on a hole which has a cross hazard in front of the green?

OK, 10 yards short right  ;)

It requires a pretty well struck shot for sure.

From the back tees it is a brute but not so bad from the other pads. Plays anywhere from 120 to 215 with the angle getting tougher from each successive tee box.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:14:00 AM »
I opt for long...up on the tee of 14.  There are some nasty cactus in that ravine...still stings.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 03:18:50 AM »
Any pictures?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 07:50:17 AM »

Its more intimidating than 17 at Sawgrass for me its just such a small target. Death is short, long, left and right. Rattlesnake city. its a scorecard wrecker for the unaccomplished golfer. For most I would assume it is the most difficult par 3 on the course.

Anthony

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:52:44 AM »
Great hole...I loved it.
I can understand the cant miss it anywhere criticism, but that applies to many a penal par three that involves water.
But I agree with Greg there is more room right of that green than appears off the tee, there is about 15-20 yards of room over there, which as we all know is the direction that most players shots go....the back left pin placement, which is where it was when we played is rather challenging!!!!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »

that is the one. Hard for a high handicapper to hit from 150.

Anthony

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 10:52:26 AM »
Looks like the best miss is in one of the greenside bunkers.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
What happens if you hit it long right, up on that very steep-appearing desert hillside? Does it roll back down?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Greg Tallman

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »

Anthony

Anything is hard for a high handicapper from 150... that is why they are a high handicapper.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 11:21:59 AM »
What happens if you hit it long right, up on that very steep-appearing desert hillside? Does it roll back down?

Dan, Sometimes the ball will trickle back down and other times you have a shot out of the desert. I have been in favor of flashing a bit more turf up the slopes all the way across. We did pull the front turf line a bit further toward the tee (a few yards) which is likely where it was when orginally designed.

Strangely enough I probably play this hole more consistently than the other par 3s. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »

Anthony

Is that why you told me to bank it off the rocks in the back?

Anthony

Anything is hard for a high handicapper from 150... that is why they are a high handicapper.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »

Anthony

Is that why you told me to bank it off the rocks in the back?

Anthony

I believe that was your 4th shot that the bank shot was an option.

In all seriousness it is a tough golf hole which I have no problem with but I woudl not be against softening it a touch with some turf additions as noted above. The idea has been kicked around for some time and just not something we have chosen to pursue as yet.

Jfaspen

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »
Haven't played it.. But on first view, looks like a desert version of #12 at Augusta.  Trouble short.. Narrow green.  No "great" place to miss.  Different angle, but similar green shape.

Alex Miller

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »
Since the hole goes from short right to long left, do you need as much room in the surroundings because of the way a RH player (the vast majority) hit the ball?

What I mean to say, is that the tendency to miss short right or long left is most common with most golfers, so since the landing area mirrors that it is likely that the hole plays wider than if would if everything were mirrored, or if most golfers were left handed.

And to Jeff, I think that's part of the reason #12 at Augusta is so damn hard.

JWL

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »
I think that the design of the hole gives a pretty adequate 'bail out' long and even green high right.
It is a difficult hole for sure, but if everyone that wasn't confident in their club selection, hit one more club than they think, I am sure they would have much more success on the hole.  It lis like hitting into a wall, that keeps the ball in play imho.    We have thinned out the cactii behind the green over the years and that has helped.    Like GT says 150 yd carry anywhere is hard for the high handicapper.    The drop zone is rather easy also off a very forward tee.
I do agree with GT that it wouldn't hurt if a little more turf climbed the 'wall'  behind the green.    Just hit more club than you think you need and make no worse than a bogey...and move on.    Pretty nice golf hole imho.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »
I think that the design of the hole gives a pretty adequate 'bail out' long and even green high right.
It is a difficult hole for sure, but if everyone that wasn't confident in their club selection, hit one more club than they think, I am sure they would have much more success on the hole.  It lis like hitting into a wall, that keeps the ball in play imho.    We have thinned out the cactii behind the green over the years and that has helped.    Like GT says 150 yd carry anywhere is hard for the high handicapper.    The drop zone is rather easy also off a very forward tee.
I do agree with GT that it wouldn't hurt if a little more turf climbed the 'wall'  behind the green.    Just hit more club than you think you need and make no worse than a bogey...and move on.    Pretty nice golf hole imho.

If(when) the turf were added it might present an opprtunity for a very funky bunker that is 10 yards off the green, 10 feet above green height... yet very much in play and thus one that forces the player to make a choice.

Private message from JWL in 3,2,1...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back