News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Barwon Heads comes charging out of the gate like few other courses, the 1st hole featuring wild fairway contours and a wonderful green that uses a false front in perhaps the most effective way, set above the golfer's head as he approaches and paired with a skyline greensite -- the fear of going long meaning many will stand disappointed in the fairway and watch their ball roll back towards them.

At just a touch over 300 metres, the hole encapsulates why the course length of 5500 metres is in no way representative of what you're in for.

A natural hardpan area is well used at the dogleg right 3rd - setting up a tempting diagonal drive before the fairway climbs to a high green, while the 4th is a par three reminiscent of Rye in its character and bold greensite (below).

The 6th is the final hole on the eastern paddock, another short par four over large undulations that is perhaps one of the best two or three holes on the course, the green well-defended at its flanks and set at an angle to favour the hard-to-hold higher right-hand-side.

As you cross the road, the most consistent and stirring stretch of golf is behind you, and though there are several undeniable highlights to come, the joy of Barwon Heads is never greater than in that first third of the course.

The 8th's valley setting and broken ground make for a wonderful par three where hidden land short of the green means it looks more imposing from the tee than is the reality, but it is bookended by two weaker mid-length par fours with somewhat forced lay-up drives and uninspiring greens.

The raised 11th green is quite different from what has come before, but extremely demanding in its domed shape. The green is the first major break in the course's character and is followed in that vein by the likes of the 14th, 16th green and par three 17th -- all of which detract from the whole, in both quality and cohesion. 11th green below.

But the final third is then lifted by the delicate drop-shot wedge that is the 13th, a smartly-bunkered par four over flat ground at the 15th (below) and the lion's share of the 16th until the new green. The 18th isn't a magical hole to rival the course's best, but the green has some interest around it and the land and setting are both good, making it a worthy close, finishing by the beautiful near-century-old clubhouse.

There's a joy to be found at Barwon Heads that is driven by the low-key links architecture where the land is king, the greens a great example of simple slopes that aren't busy to the eye, but that are fascinating to play.

In significant amounts Barwon Heads reminds me of both Rye in southern England and, across the English Channel near Boulogne, Le Touquet's La Mer course. The land is undeniably linksy and ranges from bold to extremely subtle, and the large frontal ridge that separates the course from the coast is also a common feature. The larger vegetation than is found on most links is another feature that unites Barwon Heads and Le Touquet.

While it's probably a very personal thing to me only, it was a real joy as I made my way around Barwon Heads to be reminded of both those courses almost 20,000km away, where I have spent a few of the most special and memorable golfing days of my life.

Neil_Crafter

Re: Barwon Heads (outside Melbourne), memories of Rye and Le Touquet
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:40:14 PM »
Nice post Scott.
I have seen Rye but not Le Touquet I am afraid. Still can see some similarities.
Barwon Heads is a special place in Australian golf and I love going there (and getting paid to go there is also rather nice!).

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:30:20 AM »
Scott,

Nice write-up. I agree with your views and those first six holes are certainly well worth the green fee alone. As you could imagine, there is significantly more foot traffic through those first six than the remainder of the course - a nice little loop for a late afternoon hit.

I'm interested to hear your views on the 9th and 10th holes.

To me, the second shot on the 9th is wonderfully tough and perhaps the most demanding approaches on the course, along with 12. I'm not a massive fan of the drive though with the broken ground across the dogleg. I'd like to see some fairway down the left side, promoting a risky drive to reduce the distance on the approach.

As for the 10th - I'm a fan of this short par-4 and have always found it difficult to judge the distance on the approach shot, over the rough to a raised green.

Looking forward to hearing your views on the course next door also ;)
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 04:27:48 AM »
Very nice Scott, very well written, and the use of past memories to provide a point of reference is well made.

I am fortunate to play at BHGC a few times a year, along with most, find the first six holes tremendous fun, a highlight for me is the views from the 5th tee box, with views East to the the rip, Portsea and the Lonsdale lighthouse, and more blue water South to the beach and the sound of the crashing surf, a reminder of the seaside links feel. The tee shot on this downhill P5 to a severely right to left sloping green is one that entices a big hit, especially in the prevailing breeze, but rarely yields a birdie.

Agree with Ben, I also enjoy the short 10th, a shot that is challenging and intimate at the same time, even though there is no room for a ground approach. I also think the large dune/mound that sites the 11th green could be better utilised and find the bunkering thru the back of the green infuriating for both the 11th and the 14th.

For me the highlight on the back nine is the 13th, great views, wind and downhill always challenging shot selection, a green that is tough for its size and historically significant to the local area with the Famous Beach named after the golf hole and now the neighbouring Thirteenth Beach Golf Links forever linked back to the little one shotter. I personally find the soft and slippery Poa greens out of character with the links feel, but the tilts and slopes and endless challenge, good fun. It is also great to watch the course continue to improve its conditioning along with the course improvements by Neil and Paul.

For anyone intending a visit to the area, the overnight accommodation at BHGC is fantastic, and great value, with lots of great golf in close proximity, much to occupy the keen golfer in the wonderful Seaside Village of Barwon Heads.

@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back