News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Re: Trump Nicklaus Team Up in Scheme to Castrate Public
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »
Great rant!  Brilliant!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Andrew Calcutt

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
The Bronx is home to America's first public golf course, Van Cortland Park, opened in 1895. (The same year the USGA banned the pool cue as a putter.)  The price to play a golf course built on public land, with public dollars, on land that some wanted to be a public park, should be in line with other municipal golf courses in the area.  If golf is to attract new players, it must attract players among working and middle class Americans (New York City, median income approx. $50,000), and be affordable, or the game risks stagnation at 26M golfers.  I would like to see the game grow.  It's possible that this development could not have realistically been completed in another fashion, without wasting more tax dollars (Mr. Morrow, as far as I know, New York City tax dollars do not directly fund foreign wars). My criticism of who and how, and the apparent goals of the project, remain the crux of my op-ed.   

The headline was an attempt, (maybe lousy), at falling in line with some the New York Post's finest daily blasts.  Recall: "Weiner Pulls Out" after Rep. Anthony Weiner resigned over a sexting scandal.  For those of you with verbal senstivity issues, quit eating beef and take a ride on the number 5 train through the South Bronx.

Mr. Sweeney, you're right, the sanitation worker was probably not the proper camparison for my piece.  I appreciate the insight.  A NYC public school teacher might have been more appropriate.  Mr. Mucci, as far as a caddie or two knows, Bloomberg is at least a member of the National.  I should have said, "one of the courses he belongs to."  His home course is one probably closer to Manhattan.

Enjoyed the responses,

AC

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 03:47:54 PM »
The Bronx is home to America's first public golf course, Van Cortland Park, opened in 1895.

April 27, 1888: Kebo Valley Club incorporated as business promoting the "cultivation of athletic sports and furnishing innocent amusement for the public for reasonable compensation."

http://www.kebovalleyclub.com/history.html

The price to play a golf course built on public land, with public dollars, on land that some wanted to be a public park, should be in line with other municipal golf courses in the area.  

What about Bethpage Black?

If golf is to attract new players, it must attract players among working and middle class Americans (New York City, median income approx. $50,000), and be affordable, or the game risks stagnation at 26M golfers.  

There have been a number of arguments here from people in the golf business that golf may be better off by shrinking and focusing in on core golfers that care about the game rather have them jump in and out because it is cool. I probably agree.

NYC median income is $38,293 in 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York_City

I would like to see the game grow.  

Why?

It's possible that this development could not have realistically been completed in another fashion, without wasting more tax dollars (Mr. Morrow, as far as I know, New York City tax dollars do not directly fund foreign wars). My criticism of who and how, and the apparent goals of the project, remain the crux of my op-ed.    

Trump Wollman was the site for for a Special Needs event put on by the NY Rangers. I can't say for sure if the Rangers were charged but the kids were not.
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=552694

The headline was an attempt, (maybe lousy), at falling in line with some the New York Post's finest daily blasts.  Recall: "Weiner Pulls Out" after Rep. Anthony Weiner resigned over a sexting scandal.  For those of you with verbal senstivity issues, quit eating beef and take a ride on the number 5 train through the South Bronx.

This site is now over 10 years old. It has it warts, but why do you feel the need to change the tenor and tone of the site? There are lots of golf discussion groups where this WOULD fit in.

Mr. Sweeney, you're right, the sanitation worker was probably not the proper camparison for my piece.  I appreciate the insight.  A NYC public school teacher might have been more appropriate.  

Every public school teacher is above the NYC median salary.

Salaries are based on prior teaching experience as well as your undergraduate and graduate education. As of May 2008, starting teacher salaries range from $45,530 (bachelor’s degree, no prior teaching experience) to $74,796 (master’s degree, 8 years teaching experience). Teachers who already have a master’s degree but no teaching experience will start at $51,425. All teacher salaries are listed on the official salary schedule. Currently, teachers with the maximum combination of experience and coursework on the salary schedule can earn up to $100,049 per year.

Mr. Mucci, as far as a caddie or two knows, Bloomberg is at least a member of the National.  I should have said, "one of the courses he belongs to."  His home course is one probably closer to Manhattan.

Bloomberg bought a house on National last summer. Not sure that he is in:

http://danshamptons.com/2011/07/21/mayor-bloomberg-buys-in-southampton/

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:50:29 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »

Mr. Mucci, as far as a caddie or two knows, Bloomberg is at least a member of the National.  I should have said, "one of the courses he belongs to."  His home course is one probably closer to Manhattan.

Bloomberg bought a house on National last summer. Not sure that he is in:

Mike,

There are ONLY TWO (2) houses that might be considered on National, one is Bill Salinetti's and the other was Bill Blacks.

The house that Bloomberg was purchasing is a good distance from National, but, with it's elevation, has views of NGLA.

Most golfer's aim at the chimney's while playing # 11 or # 12.

http://danshamptons.com/2011/07/21/mayor-bloomberg-buys-in-southampton/

George Freeman

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »
Bloomberg is sure scooping up the real estate.  I believe he recently bought the massive estate visible from a few holes at the Creek Club (there is something famous about the estate, but I can't recall).
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back