News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Dunne

Re: LINKS 100
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »
Sean, just wanted to say that what you're doing here is really the best way to use the LINKS100. It's what I personally enjoy about it the most, at least. Over time our tastes and preferences change--and courses change, too, of course--and one's LINKS100 ballot is a great way to reflect on/keep track of all of that. Whether or not the whole process is pointless can be debated ad nauseam, but that's another thread. For what it's worth, I appreciate seeing someone simply use the thing in a way that takes advantage of one of its better design features. So...thanks!

Sean_A

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2013, 12:13:48 PM »
9th ten - all minor changes

81 Sherwood Forest

82 Prestbury

83 Nairn

84 Dunbar

85 Stoneham

86 Knole Park GC

87 Bearwood Lakes

88 County Louth

89 European Club

90 Royal St. David's

10th ten - all minor chnages except for the entry of Blackwell - despite its consistent dreadful maintenance regime, the bones of something quite special are clearly evident

91 West Lancashire

92 Mid Pines Club

93 Tralee

94 Blackwell

95 LuLu Country Club

96 Hillside

97 Royal North Devon

98 Trevose (Championship)

99 Southport & Ainsdale

100 Turnberry (Kintyre)

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jud_T

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »

Uof M dropped nearly 30 spots based on my last play.  The mowing lines were shocking and any course Dr Mac was involved with relies heavily on these sorts of details to pull the design together; no great shakeups after this.

I believe work starts at the end of this season to begin implementing the Master Plan.  Nowhere to go but up!  Kind of surprised to see Westward Ho! so low...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sean_A

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »

Uof M dropped nearly 30 spots based on my last play.  The mowing lines were shocking and any course Dr Mac was involved with relies heavily on these sorts of details to pull the design together; no great shakeups after this.

I believe work starts at the end of this season to begin implementing the Master Plan.  Nowhere to go but up!  Kind of surprised to see Westward Ho! so low...

Jud

I am excited about the UofM project.  Its terrible to have such a classy course with its details stripped.  Indeed, I feel much the same about Blackwell.

I always say the rushes either make or break RND for the golfer; unfortunately, I really dislike these holes and think they are bad design for windy site - plus they are wet.  There isn't enough other good stuff to make up for the rushes, but for all that RND is a god course.  

The final courses; none of these really do much for me, but LINKS listed them so I included them on my list.  I have played other courses not listed I think are better, but shouldn't really be on a top list so take these with a pinch of salt.  In other words, LINKS shouldn't list these courses for the rankings!

101 Crail (Balcomie)

102 PGA Catalunya

103 Ballybunion (Cashen)

104 Merion (West)

105 Forest of Arden

106 The Belfry (Brabazon)

107 Grand Traverse (The Bear)

108 Nefyn & District

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:00:13 PM by SArble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2013, 11:59:09 PM »
Sean, I assume you are talking about Bulls Bay in Wales and not in Charleston.  I can't think of many who would have included it.  I think it is one of the reasons I put Fowler at the top of my best architect list.  He could take a site like Bulls Bay and fashion a course with a minimum of earth moved.  There are some holes there that are unlike holes anywhere else on the planet.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2013, 01:37:41 AM »
Sean, I assume you are talking about Bulls Bay in Wales and not in Charleston.  I can't think of many who would have included it.  I think it is one of the reasons I put Fowler at the top of my best architect list.  He could take a site like Bulls Bay and fashion a course with a minimum of earth moved.  There are some holes there that are unlike holes anywhere else on the planet.

I assumed Sean was referring to a course in America.  The one on Anglesey is called Bull Bay.

I'm looking forward to seeing Reddish Vale crash the list after Sean gets to play it again next week...  ;)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2013, 08:45:17 AM »
Sean, just wanted to say that what you're doing here is really the best way to use the LINKS100. It's what I personally enjoy about it the most, at least. Over time our tastes and preferences change--and courses change, too, of course--and one's LINKS100 ballot is a great way to reflect on/keep track of all of that.
This is what I love about the Links100 list.  I went through my list recently and besides getting to 300 courses, I found myself changing a few rankings based on recent experiences.  Wel done Tom.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back