News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Miller

Pinehurst- 8 rounds
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:40:42 AM »
Heading to Pinehurst in late June with a buddy and trying to figure out where to play. We are there for four full days (wish it were more), and lodging is already setup: we are staying at the resort.

So many courses and so little time, trying to figure out where to play has been a challenge and so far I've been fighting hard to get away from the resort and explore Dormie (depending on their outside play rules), Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Southern Pines. The thought is to play #2, #4, #7 and #8 with the other 4.

I've done all this without ever visiting before, so thoughts on how to approach Pinehurst as a first timer are appreciated?

I searched relentlessly for old threads on the subject, but there seem to be a variety of opinions on the courses in the area so I though a new sampling from the treehouse might be in order  ;).

P.S. Is 36 holes a day unrealistic that time of year, even for a couple of young guys?

Mac Plumart

Re: Pinehurst- 8 rounds
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:44:05 AM »
36 a day is certainly do-able.

4 others...

Dormie...a must play.  Very good to borderline great course.
Pine Needles...very good course.
Mid-Pines...fun golf.
Tobacco Road...polarizing.  A must play to see which side of the fence you are on.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 02:03:42 AM »
Mac's right... Tobacco Road is polarizing but I think is a must play.  Drop one of Mid Pines, Southern Pines, 7 or 8 to play it...those courses are good, but you won't see anything unique there.  Tobacco Road should be seen.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 10:37:57 AM »
During a trip last spring, I played Southern Pines, Pine Needles, #2 -- in that order -- as well as #7 and Dormie.

It was interesting to experience the Ross courses according to degree of difficulty.  Had I played Southern Pines after either Pine Needles or #2, it almost surely would have disappointed by comparison to the other two.  But as a prelude, it fit perfectly.

Dormie made for an enjoyable round with a lot of interesting holes.  Of the C&C courses I have played, I would group it with Kapalua -- ie, behind the likes of Sand Hills and Bandon Trails, but ahead of Sugarloaf and the Warren.

My recollection of #7 is fuzzy, as I played it as part of a wedding party outing.  But speaking generally, I would definitely make time for another round at any of the other four courses mentioned above before returning to #7.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
and explore Dormie (depending on their outside play rules), Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Southern Pines. The thought is to play #2, #4, #7 and #8 with the other 4.

Day 1, start with Southern Pines. Mid Pines.
Day 2, Pine Needles. #2.
Day 3. Dormie. #8.
Day 4. The newer course at Forest Creek (North? South?) Finish with Tobacco Road. 

Mark Johnson

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 03:42:39 PM »
When planning your trip, also consider time of day.    U definitely want to play the deuce and southern pines in the  morning (probably dormice too but I have never played it).   Their conditioning will shine this time of day and you will enjoy them more   

Also tobacco road is great for match play as well as a beer or two so I would probably play it in the afternoon

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
I don't know the current rules about playing #2, but I wouldn't leave without playing it at least twice and as many times as you can afford.
I would certainly kick and scratch to not play 4, 7 & 8 vs. playing #2 again.
I would rather walk # 2 than play 4, 7 or 8 by a wide margin.

Have fun.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:04:17 PM »
I don't know the current rules about playing #2, but I wouldn't leave without playing it at least twice and as many times as you can afford.
I would certainly kick and scratch to not play 4, 7 & 8 vs. playing #2 again.
I would rather walk # 2 than play 4, 7 or 8 by a wide margin.

Have fun.

Thanks Mike. The person/people I'm going with really love the resort, perhaps to a fault. Price is a factor in playin #2, but maybe if we play it in the first couple of days that will influence us!

Is Bruce's suggestion of an 8 round trip agreed on? I appreciate all the help given.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »
Is Bruce's list agreed upon?  Probably not.  It is a good list, for sure, but I doubt everyone on the site would agree that it is the ideal agenda. 

Heck, playing #4, then #2 will highlight just how damn good #2 is.  And Bruce didn't list #4.

It is tricky down in Pinehurst...so many good golf courses.

Mike is right, #2 is extra special.  Really something great.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 07:45:04 PM »
I would hate to finish on Tobacco Road.  There is a chance that some/all of your group won't like it.  I always prefer to end my golf trips on a high note.  I would recommend playing them in a different order.

Forest Creek, if you can get on, is hugely better than the other Pinehurst courses (other than #2) -as are Dormie, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and S. Pines.

Good luck.

Bart

rjsimper

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »
Fighting to get away from the resort is only really worth it for Dormie and Pine Needles. If you are staying at the resort, part of the premium you are paying there is to subsidize the cost of the rounds at the resort.

Mid Pines and Southern Pines are nice golf courses, but not in my opinion "MUST play"

Pinehurst is not so remote like Cabot or Mullen or something like that where I'd feel like I'd never get the chance to return, so don't do the selfish thing and talk your buddy out of his money by insisting on Southern Pines.

36 a day is totally doable in late June. You could practically do 54.

For 4 days, I'd prioritize the courses like this:

Dormie
Pine Needles
Tobacco Road
#4/#8 tied (depending on if you prefer manicured Augusta style or wetlands/natural style)
______

Then a big gap
_______
Then Mid Pines and #7 are very different but more/less equal in my mind.

If I were you, I'd look at hitting #2 a second time - the replay rate is more affordable. You could press for your morning and afternoon rounds early, and then try to get a replay at the resort on 1-3-5 for your 37-54 holes if you are trying to golf yourself out. I think replay rates are like 40 bucks for those 3 courses.

I agree with Bart that Forest Creek is definitely better than the non-2 Pinehursts. CCNC is good too and on the level of 4 and 8 at the resort.

So do this:

Day 1 - #4 and Pine Needles
Day 2 - #2 and Dormie
Day 3 - #7 and Tobacco Road
Day 4 - #8 and #2

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
Does Pinehurst #1 remain the genuine article?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »
I would recommend 8 rounds at the Pinecrest Inn nightly. 

Brad Tufts

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »

The best advice I've seen yet.

The same category of advice includes Dugan's Pub, the porch behind #18 at #2, and Pure Gold in Aberdeen (or so I've, umm, heard).
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »

The best advice I've seen yet.

The same category of advice includes Dugan's Pub, the porch behind #18 at #2, and Pure Gold in Aberdeen (or so I've, umm, heard).

I'm a "National" member at one of the clubs you listed.  ;)
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »
Alex,

If you've never been to the area, you're in for a real treat.

Personally, I think too many golfers traveling to the area focus on the courses at the resort. #2 is great and should be played as many times as you can afford (36 holes in one day would be a great way to go). Other than #2, I really wouldn't waste your time on any of the other courses there.

Elsewhere in town I would play Pine Needles, Tobacco Road, Southern Pines, Mid-Pines & Dormie (haven't played yet, so going on others recommendations there). If you can swing access, Forest Creek North & South are very good.

I would stay at the Pinecrest Inn. Very neat place which is perfect for a guys trip. They have a very fun bar and decent food. Duggan's is another "hot" spot in town where many visitors have dinner.

Have fun.
H.P.S.

hhuffines

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
Mike,

I dont have anything to compare #1 to but I think they did a nice job out there and I enjoy playing it despite the lack of length.   There are some good holes out in the middle of the round.

Hart

Andy Troeger

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »
On my trip last year we did the following:
Day 1: #2
Day 2: Tobacco Road and Pine Needles
Day 3: Eagle Point (2.5 hrs away)
Day 4: Dormie and Tot Hill Farm
Day 5: Forest Creek North and South

Playing #2 first was due to availability--I would have rather saved it. I loved Tobacco Road personally, but my playing companions were not as impressed. I think its a must-see, but as Bart mentions its perhaps not the one to see as the last course of the trip. Tot Hill Farm is only worth it if you like your golf a little crazy--its different. I enjoyed it, but can't say its at the level of the other courses in the area. Dormie is a must--I think its better than #2 personally. Forest Creek is worth it but requires access--the North is the highlight of the two. Obviously didn't play any other courses at the resort, in part due to availability, but we didn't prioritize them--and couldn't fit in Mid-Pines unfortunately.

John Shimp

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »
Ccnc dogwood is worth Playing.  Its very close to the resort and is relatively easy to get called onto play.  Tobacco rd is farther away from the resort than the others mentioned.  If not on a meal plan at the resort consider driving to southern pines for food/drink.  Real good food there. Love the sly fox, alstons, etc.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back