News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: On Slow Play and Spitting
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:42 AM »
Terry: I read Jeff's post as agreeing with me that Eric looks like he's on his way to a disco and not all like a golfer or a host on a golf show. 

That's the difference between us Jerry. You read it for content and I scanned it looking for an opportunity for a cheap comedic shot! 
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Garland Bayley

Re: On Slow Play and Spitting
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »
"They waggle for hours; the stroll rather than walk; the dive into their monstrous bags in search of the right club and then it is the wrong number, but they are not sorry that we have been troubled; their putting is a kind of funereal ping-pong. We could forgive them all these tricks, from which we ourselves are conspicuously free, if it were not for the absurd punctilio with which they observe the rules. They will insist on waiting on the people in front of them when it must be palpable even to their intellects that the best shot the ever hit in their lives would be fifty yards short." Bernard Darwin in the essay "The People in Front".

This comes from someone who extolls the virtues of TOC as a place where you can count on playing an unhurried four-ball match in three hours. I suspect that if he played now at a time when an unhurried four-ball match is expected to take 4 and a half hours, he might have given up golf and never been inducted into the golf hall of fame.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back