News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Blaisdell

Memorable First Tees
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »
No question that the 1st tee at Riviera is memorable and impressive as is the case for TOC, Merion and Atlantic. Aronimink also sticks in my mind. I would be interested in other nominations.

On Riviera's 1st, I worked the Senior Open there in '98 and was really taken by how small the tee was. Watching the Northern Trust this past weekend, there were a few shots of the 1st and it seemed bigger than I remember. Anyone know if the tee has been enlarged since '98??

Riviera looked magnificent on tv and I will be there for the NCAA'S this year. If any of my fellow GCA'ers plan on attending, please say hello. I'll be the goofy looking guy with glasses in my cart
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Jud_T

Re: Memorable First Tees
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:03:04 AM »
Jud
 Beautiful photo!!

What course are we looking at?
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:08:17 AM »
Kingsley Club #1
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
Mountain Ridge has my favorite first hole

Only pink pants take away from the view

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:51:06 AM by Bill Brightly »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 10:06:03 AM »
The 1st tee at Elie is memorable for the old WW2 submarine periscope which the starter uses to confirm that the fairway is clear.  The 1st tee at Crail Balcomie is memorable for the view over the course below and of the coast up to St Andrews.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 10:13:52 AM »
Prestwick?? Where else can you have a train interrupt your swing??
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »
Aswonderful asthey are, dramatic 1st holes tend to be  difficult to pull off due to the desire to want to ease the golfer into the round.  That said, the penchant for locating the clubhouse on the highest ground often affords one of the best opportunities for a dramatic hole.  
Take the 1st hole at Desert Highlands for instance.  As you come up to the tee, the whole valley lays out in front of you with Pinnicle Peak towering above on the tight, affording a sense of containment.  I remember during construction, hitting ball after ball just to watch that little white sphere floating off into space and thinking that it would never even reach that fairway - way down there - only to see it plop down right in the middle of that oasisof green.  Being my 1st experience with Desert Golf, having so much "non-grass" inplay only added to the unsettling but still majestic vista.

Spyglass's 1st also provides anOMG response.  I also like Pasatiempo's and Crystal Downs' elevated#1's as they give a quick discription of the flavor of the course.  We had what I thought was a great #1 at Greenbay Country Club until the clubhouse architect liked the vista so much he put the pro shop on the other side of the building and it became #10 (not that the new #1 isn't dramatic with it's flanking ponds and green benched into the hillside above the creek, across the valley floor.
#1 at Ko'Olau is a huge par 5 that plays over 100' down to the green and affords vistas overlooking the Windward side of Oahu.  The 1st at Makelei Hawaii was supposed to do the same (looking out to Maui) but the clubhouse I don't think was ever built in the planned location and #3 became #1.  But it makes for a nice  #17.

About as far as I've gone would probably be the 1st at del Lago, outside of Tucson.  The tees are benched into a downslope that ends in a deep cannyon-like wash and the fairway begins on the otherside.  I felt that people would come out and walk over to the 1t tee to get a feeling of what the course was all about.  I also felt that the carry would discourage people from playing more golf course than their game could support,  Kinda like a gut check for those who "want to play the whole course to get my money's worth"/

Unfortunately, with the exception of maybe #1 at North Berwick and Prestwick, there is nothing that jumps out of my memory ofrom England/Scotland.  Hopefully some of friends from over the pond can come up with  some for us.
Coasting is a downhill process

Scott Stearns

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 10:24:03 AM »
First at Garden City.  No matter what you do with the tee shot you have a chance to get the approach on the green.  Its a hint of the fun that is to come. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »
1st Hole
Site - Scotland

1st Hole from Tee

Close up of Green

Which course?

Scott Sander

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »
I'm not sure this is what you're going for, but I'll mention Cherry Hills, for a much different kind of drama.

It's been years since I played there, so this may have changed.  But at the time (1999-ish), the club kept the 1960 U.S. Open tee perfectly maintained but reserved for use by first-time guests.  

At the time I was fairly long, but I was absolutely cheek-twitchingly nervous (I'll let you guess which cheeks), so I sheepishly declined the opportunity.  Instead, I hit 2-iron off the member tees with the rest of the group.  

My feeling now:  What a stupid I am.

Niall Hay

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »
Machrihanish

Prestwick is unique as well.

Jim Colton

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:33:29 AM »
Sanctuary, memorable because you might reach 12 seconds of hang time, and with a 25-yard fairway surrounded by junk on both sides, you'll probably get to do it twice!

Tom Dunne

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »
It's memorable any time you have a gallery on the first tee. The Old Course!

Closer to home, Bethpage Black and Red both put the golfer and his nerves on full display for the assembled crowd. Red's 1st is the better of the two and is one of the great openers in golf.

SL_Solow

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:35:31 AM »
For entirely different reasons, Number 1 at The Old Course.  No feeling quite like it.

Jason Connor

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »
Bethpage Black is to me.  The hole isn't that interesting with the hard dogleg left. But the dramatic drop and so many people usually watching, it's a pretty unique first tee shot.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Jim Tang

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »
The first tee box at Sand Hills is pretty cool.  You've got the long drive out to the tee.  It's elevated, giving you an expansive view of your surrounds.

Doonbeg's first is a pretty good place, too.  Again, the tee is elevated, the clubhouse directly behind the box.  In the distance, the green is ringed by some of the largest dunes you'll see anywhere, to your left, the ocean.

Greywalls.  Standing on that tee, you know you're in for a lot of fun.  The lake is in view, the hole twists to the right around a deep ravine, rock outcroppings everywhere.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
I'm not sure this is what you're going for, but I'll mention Cherry Hills, for a much different kind of drama.

It's been years since I played there, so this may have changed.  But at the time (1999-ish), the club kept the 1960 U.S. Open tee perfectly maintained but reserved for use by first-time guests.  

At the time I was fairly long, but I was absolutely cheek-twitchingly nervous (I'll let you guess which cheeks), so I sheepishly declined the opportunity.  Instead, I hit 2-iron off the member tees with the rest of the group.  

My feeling now:  What a stupid I am.

Scott, I haven't played or seen the first at Cherry Hills other than ancient video of Palmer on the green after driving it.  But even from that championship tee it's not a long par 4, right?  Why is it nervous twitch inducing?   Just curious!

jonathan_becker

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 11:06:43 AM »

Alister Matheson

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »
1st Hole
Site - Scotland

1st Hole from Tee

Close up of Green

Which course?
Looks like the Lovley 1st hole at Strathpeffer to me Melvyn ?
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

John Nixon

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 11:10:02 AM »
 Why is it nervous twitch inducing?   Just curious!

Bill, I see you've not yet played golf with Mr. Sander.    ;)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:13:42 AM by John Nixon »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 11:18:47 AM »

Ally

Got it in one, Strathpeffer Spa is a great little course in a wonderful town that’s so English it looks out of place in Scotland. Still spent some happy time there, worth a visit, it’s the little gems that are overlooked in favour of too many rounds at other close by courses.

The photos are from the club's web-site as my ones are poor, must get a better camera.

Scott Sander

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
At the time I was fairly long, but I was absolutely cheek-twitchingly nervous...

Scott, I haven't played or seen the first at Cherry Hills other than ancient video of Palmer on the green after driving it.  But even from that championship tee it's not a long par 4, right?  Why is it nervous twitch inducing?   Just curious!

Sorry.. I guess that does sound like it's hole-induced, doesn't it.  You're right.  It's not intimidating in and of itself.

Nope - it was all me.  My nerves were (and still very much are) about as stout as a bag of warm noodles around most any artifact or reminder of gen-u-ine golf history.
Also, back then I was extremely intimidated by country club culture and quite sure I'd never have the chance to step foot on that property again.     I was an absolute mess.    

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 11:25:21 AM »
1st Hole from Tee

Ballyhack>Roanoke, VA
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 11:29:12 AM »
No question that the 1st tee at Riviera is memorable and impressive as is the case for TOC, Merion and Atlantic. Aronimink also sticks in my mind. I would be interested in other nominations.

On Riviera's 1st, I worked the Senior Open there in '98 and was really taken by how small the tee was. Watching the Northern Trust this past weekend, there were a few shots of the 1st and it seemed bigger than I remember. Anyone know if the tee has been enlarged since '98??

Riviera looked magnificent on tv and I will be there for the NCAA'S this year. If any of my fellow GCA'ers plan on attending, please say hello. I'll be the goofy looking guy with glasses in my cart

I don't think it has changed.  On TV tees and greens usually look larger.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back