News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

Re: Part II of the Melvyn Manifesto now posted under Feaure Interview section
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 09:15:27 AM »
Heavy sigh.  There is a difference between not celebrating and sabotaging.  You could have stood clear, but it would seem as though your goal was to sabotage Ran's intro.   I can't understand why when there are plenty of opportunities to get into with M.  Why do it on Ran's intro? 

Sean,
I won't speak for the others who have posted, but I for one am more disappointed in the moderators of this website for not stopping the behavior YEARS ago than I am in Melvyn for continuing it. I did a quick search through the archives and found Melvyn equating a fellow poster to concentration camp workers...I have a feeling other nasty comments were long ago deleted. Fair or not, these interviews equate for me to an endorsement not just of Melvyn's message, but his behavior in this DG. I understand that Melvyn's name calling, etc. is perhaps a minor blip compared to the outrage caused by those seeking access to private clubs, but giving him a forum after he's ignored general etiquette and decency is IMO disappointing at best. That's my objection and that's why this thread is a good spot to bring it up.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »

Mac

Thanks for the reply, as always you make it a joy to read as so clear in your statements.

In all honesty I do not want to see the R&A disbanded, but we do need a governing body that listens and is closer to the game, concentrating on the game itself as well as being accountable.

Yes, I understand this thing about ‘Being a Golfer or not or even just a player’, but to be fair I must again lay this at the doors of The R&A for allowing so many variations of the game to contaminate the one great game of Golf. Who is right or wrong, no one knows, it’s OK to ride a cart, but not in The Open, it’s fine to use electronic aids but again I believe they are still not allowed in The Open. It’s full of confusing and mixed messages, it so desperately needs to be clarified and really resolved. I do take your point and it’s a very fair question why should certain players who believe they are playing by the Rules be regarded as not golfers, as yes I can see it may be a bone of contention.

We must remember that this is an internet Discussion Group where opinion are offered be they right or wrong they are just our opinions, worth just the weight of our own convictions. They have no legal binding whatsoever or for that matter makes any difference in what the ruling bodies actually say or do. It’s like you saying I am not blond because I am loosing most of my hair, it is your opinion, but do I get mad with you, no, it’s your opinion.  But let’s get back to the matter in hand, golf and its definition.

The subject of distance aids and caddies are as I believe just a crutch, because the info gained is overruled by one’s mind as soon as your eyes re check the pin/ball then ball/pin just prior to taking the shot. As I said man goes into auto mode and it’s the eye brain co-ordination that makes the final decision as to your swing and ultimately shot. However, it’s the energy generated by walking that makes the overall difference. That article on the American scientific study on just lifting and setting down ones bag in energy consumption which I believes show the possibility of the total unfairness of a cart, to the point that it changes the structure as well as the physical and mental nature of a game of golf. Let’s get away from needing or not a cart, let’s look at it openly and honestly, to the point that I would like to see a new study by the R&A/USGA taking into account the total difference between walking and riding. Its need to prove once and for all if there is there a massive saving in energy that a rider gets over a walker. If so then let’s add a handicap to the rider in accordance to the energy saved.

If it proves as it would appear to be an advantage, then the R&A/USGA need to take the appropriate action of banning the carts or place a stroke handicap upon them. Now if that happens I wonder if the numbers of carts used will fall because many will not be keen to see their score cards rise in numbers. I can hear it already shouts of that’s unfair, but from that report from the 1920 on energy we already know there is a massive advantage just related to picking up and dropping a bag without taken into account walking or walking while carrying the bag. So the advantage has been unfair in favour of the rider (IMHO) for the last 60 years.

Yet this still leave the tradition of the game that of walking, it’s still the only way to play The Open so it should be the only way to play golf, However if you want a cart, do so but I fell then a name should reflect the game you play call it American Golf if it uses carts or Cart ball or Mountain Golf, yes its golf but a variation of it not on the same par as traditional golf – why let’s get that energy test done, and see if there is the difference. As for needing a cart for mobility or to get around, fine use one, good idea, but again it is an aid and your score should reflect that aid, because without it you could not survive one round let alone 36.

In closing, I see nothing wrong is using a cart to play golf that is as long as you clarify the game you are playing. My game is golf, it require walking and thing in the traditional manners laid down over six centuries. Call it The Royal & Ancient Game of Golf. Call golfing with carts American Golf that is so clear and defined, it’s like playing Poker is the game not defined before the game starts.  The whole thing is a fudge, a weak governing body lost within itself trying to understand what it should be doing but failing badly. We, the golfers have no come back or method to question decisions or even know or understand who is making these rules or not. They are affectively unaccountable thus making them even more remote form the average golfer.

If we are referring to golf then I naturally presume that it’s the Royal & Ancient game of golf that of walking and thinking, that game which has been the bedrock of golf for 6 centuries, not this new variation born out of the original game to make life easier some 50-60 years that as watered down the commitment of many a potential golfer leaving us with more a country clubs than a golf club.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »
EVERY sport has evolved...you can not find any that haven't!  Why should golf be any different? Look at skiing...the evolution from leather work boots and wooden barrel staves and rubber straps to keep you attached to those slabs of wood, to today's equipment is a testament to making something more comfortable, safer and easier.  Skiing at its highest level (World Cup) DOES have regulations placed on the equipment to somewhat standardize performance.  But then, so does every other sport....INCLUDING golf.

If the original intent of golf was to kill some time and have fun, then it hasn't strayed too far. Advances in equipment have come about because that is what golfers want. And those advances that make the game more enjoyable also make it more attractive to new golfers.   One of the beauty's of golf is that within your club, within your regular foursome, you can play any number of "games" with any number of "local rules".  Golf is a flexible, always morphing game, that is determined by its participants. That is something few other sports offer participants. It has ALWAYS been that way.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
I think Melvyn, for all his good points, is wrong on his cart stance. Sure if you are 20-30-40 something get off your backside and walk. However he is missing, IMHO, the graying of the population and the fact that people now live longer than they did in the 1600's. If you made it to 50 back then you were and old man. Now, I hear, 60 is the new 40. People are living longer and want to persue their love of the game longer.

We had a gentleman at our club with a terrible back disorder, it finally killed him. But what I will recall is the smile on his face when he played. He did his best and did not abuse the cart rules.  He honored every tradition of the game and its rules and had that giant smile on his face while playing. He was a golfer in the truest sense of the word. I really don't think a cart diminished him nor the game.

There must be some allowances made for those who do not enjoy good health. My Dad played with a blind golfer, there was a love of the game and its traditions. Should he have been excluded??  I would hope not.

We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »
Plain and simply, really good points.  All of you.

Melvyn, I find that when I play the way you suggest the magic imbedded in the game comes flying out.  Now, it may take a few holes to get my brain fully dialed in...but when I do it is pretty cool.  I don't think 160 yards out, wind maybe a club, uphill a bit, my 5 iron goes 170...that is the club I should hit.  It is simply this, by the time I walk up the fairway to get to my ball I grab my club without thought (as my brain already knows it is a 5 five or mashie or whatever), get set, and swing.  Grab my bag and move on.  The feeling is like nothing I've felt before.  All I can come up with is magic to describe the feeling. 

But that is me, others might be different.  And I am okay with that.  BUT, I do feel if people would try it many would love it.  That is why I don't tire of hearing Melvyn's point re-iterate again and again.  However, I do understand why others could.

It is a discussion group, so we must discuss.  Inherent in that is difference of opinions...otherwise what are we discussing.  Nothing.  We are just agreeing.

Do a lot of people make great points about the tone of the discussion?  Yes.  That could be much improved on everyone's part.  Me included.

But to me, the magic that the "traditional" game of golf brought to me is worth the fighting.

But, again, that is just me.  And I have, no doubt, a bit of an over-the-top love for Golf.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David_Tepper

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »
"Has anyone seen the lastest Woody Allen movie?  Remember the scene in the end of the movie when the lady from the past wanted to go back even further in the past because that was the good ol' times?  That made me think of golf."

Mac P. -

Yes, this whole affair reminded me of Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" as well. My guess is that anyone transported to what they think were the "good old' days" would be terribly disappointed. While it is easy to embrace what might have been good in the "good old' days,"
it is even easier to ignore all that was bad. Chances are one would also encounter people there who were longing for the good older daysl.  

Of course, the ultimate irony is someone using the internet to tell us how much better life was 100+ years ago! ;)

DT

Tom_Doak

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »
I think Melvyn, for all his good points, is wrong on his cart stance. Sure if you are 20-30-40 something get off your backside and walk. However he is missing, IMHO, the graying of the population and the fact that people now live longer than they did in the 1600's. If you made it to 50 back then you were and old man. Now, I hear, 60 is the new 40. People are living longer and want to persue their love of the game longer.

We had a gentleman at our club with a terrible back disorder, it finally killed him. But what I will recall is the smile on his face when he played. He did his best and did not abuse the cart rules.  He honored every tradition of the game and its rules and had that giant smile on his face while playing. He was a golfer in the truest sense of the word. I really don't think a cart diminished him nor the game.

There must be some allowances made for those who do not enjoy good health. My Dad played with a blind golfer, there was a love of the game and its traditions. Should he have been excluded??  I would hope not.

Ed:

I'll be 51 in a couple of weeks, and I'm convinced what I need to do is get out and walk MORE, not less.  My older friends in Scotland, like Archie Baird, would never think of taking a buggy ... they will walk and play until they can no longer walk, and I am CERTAIN that they will be walking for a year or more longer in their lives because they have always got out and walked the golf course.

I have no problem with golf carts being provided for people who need them.  I don't agree with Melvyn's argument about walking being an integral part of the physical nature of the game -- in my opinion he's only going to that extreme to support a position he is adamant about, just as the PGA Tour made it in the Casey Martin court case.  [Perhaps Melvyn should meet Casey Martin.]  I am also sympathetic to people with back issues, although I'm not sure that trying to play golf out of a cart, when you have a bad back, is all that smart  But there are way too many people in golf who need carts, precisely because they are used to taking one instead of walking.  And much of politics these days is spent arguing right now about how to pay for the cart riders' long-term health care.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:45:54 AM by Tom_Doak »

PCCraig

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2012, 12:14:48 PM »
There is no doubt whatsoever that Melvyn has an incredible knowledge of golf courses in Scotland. I wish he would focus his efforts on this website to contributing more on that end as that would be a benefit to the site. Instead, Melvyn focuses his energy on long, detailed rants against modern technology in golf (carts, lasers, balls, clubs, whatever). It was cute at first as most posters agreed with him but somehow didn't believe that his ideas regarding were so absolute. Of course most of his arguments made no sense, however Melvyn banked on his family tree and his relation to Old Tom Morris to give credibility to his views. Sadly, this relationship does give him credibility with a fair amount of people on this website and also more than a handful of free passes. While some posters are removed from this website for additional adjustments or access issues, Melvyn has posted comments related to sleeping with GCAers wives, likened fellow posters to Nazis, and constantly insulting others that don't agree with him. His methods are despicable and I believe if he wasn't related to Old Tom no one would listen to his opinions, care what he thinks, or would he be welcome to post here....he would just be some guy with too much time on his hands. And Melvyn knows that.

I wont be reading his "manifesto" not because I don't believe in his right to his opinion or that I don't believe that it contains great information, but because I don't think Melvyn is a good person and his tired message is just that...tired, old, and absolute. I, like others, are tired of being called closed minded by someone who believes in only one way of playing the game, hasn't experienced the game in the United States (which seems to be the target of many of his attacks), or even plays the game himself. I don't believe I'm alone in my opinion by any stretch of the imagination.

Personally, I don't care what one person in Scotland thinks about the game. I walk almost every time I play and on only very rare occasions do I ever take a cart (usually only if my host insists when visiting a club). Walking is integral to the game, it's more fun to play when walking, and it's a great workout.  I have a genuine interest in the history of the game, the architecture of its courses, and preserving its traditions. I'm content with the way that I enjoy the game of golf. As so long as others are equally content when enjoying the game I honestly couldn't care less how they do it. If Melvyn has a problem with that, so be it.
H.P.S.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »

Of course, the ultimate irony is someone using the internet to tell us how much better life was 100+ years ago! ;)

DT

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Eric Smith

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »

I wont be reading his "manifesto" not because I don't believe in his right to his opinion or that I don't believe that it contains great information, but because I don't think Melvyn is a good person

Let's be crystal clear here Pat, you have spewed just as much venom on this website towards Melvyn as anyone. Probably more than anyone, for those keeping score. You mention his 'sleeping with wives' comment, yet fail to mention your telling Melvyn to 'enjoy your long limp to the grave.' Not exactly the type of thing a 'good person' writes to someone he's never met. On a golf website no less.

I'm sorry to write this on this thread, but this one gives me agida.

PCCraig

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »

I wont be reading his "manifesto" not because I don't believe in his right to his opinion or that I don't believe that it contains great information, but because I don't think Melvyn is a good person

Let's be crystal clear here Pat, you have spewed just as much venom on this website towards Melvyn as anyone. Probably more than anyone, for those keeping score. You mention his 'sleeping with wives' comment, yet fail to mention your telling Melvyn to 'enjoy your long limp to the grave.' Not exactly the type of thing a 'good person' writes to someone he's never met. On a golf website no less.

I'm sorry to write this on this thread, but this one gives me agida.

Just to be crystal clear, I don't regret anything I said to him. Especially in response to a comment regarding someone's wife. What I wrote to him was in a private message. If he had the balls to say it to my face I would of broke his nose.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:36:13 PM by PCraig »
H.P.S.

Sean_A

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »
Heavy sigh.  There is a difference between not celebrating and sabotaging.  You could have stood clear, but it would seem as though your goal was to sabotage Ran's intro.   I can't understand why when there are plenty of opportunities to get into with M.  Why do it on Ran's intro? 

Sean,
I won't speak for the others who have posted, but I for one am more disappointed in the moderators of this website for not stopping the behavior YEARS ago than I am in Melvyn for continuing it. I did a quick search through the archives and found Melvyn equating a fellow poster to concentration camp workers...I have a feeling other nasty comments were long ago deleted. Fair or not, these interviews equate for me to an endorsement not just of Melvyn's message, but his behavior in this DG. I understand that Melvyn's name calling, etc. is perhaps a minor blip compared to the outrage caused by those seeking access to private clubs, but giving him a forum after he's ignored general etiquette and decency is IMO disappointing at best. That's my objection and that's why this thread is a good spot to bring it up.

Well Andy, as I rightly predicted, we are half way to yet another pile on thread.  Its the same protagonists with the same story.  If you are disappointed in the moderators, take it up with them.  Please, lets not have another Merion-like mini train wreck.  Everyone has stated their opinion so can we just let it go and leave this thread for those who care what Melvyn has to say?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

David Kelly

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2012, 12:48:21 PM »
Old time hockey is what they should play
Old time hockey? Eddie Shore?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »

Tom

How did the golfers from say 1940 back to the middle ages play golf. Did they ride horses, sheep or walk. So if they walked and have done so for 5.5 centuries then would that not constitute ‘walking being an integral part of the physical nature of the game’.

I am surprises that no one has mentioned that effect of energy study or suggested a new one to see the actual energy required to walk against riding. I was under the impression that loss of energy had a profound effect upon an athlete, to the point that Managers and Coaches are not keen for their players to have sex the night before a big match. I understand that is because of their concern about using or as they see it wasting valuable energy.

Even taken the burden off a Walker in the form of a Caddie or a push cart still leaves the mass amount of energy to walk/play a golf course, yet you do not agree that walking is an integral part of the physical and I might add the mental aspect of the game. But then you have the right to your opinion but do you have any reports or study to confirm said opinion.

I no longer can walk around TOC, I can no longer really walk the 1st Tee let alone back up the 18th without severe pain. I understand the need of some for a cart, but back problems will not get me playing again until it is resolved, if at all, so I do not play these days as golf from a cart is a poor substitute for the real thing. Nevertheless walking for me an integral part of the game so badly missed that carting cannot resolve. What other sport would allow their wounded onto their playing fields, Football, American football, Rugby, Tennis, etc., etc. – no I think not.  As I have stated I do agree that carts should be used for those with age/medical difficulties, but they are not for me as I do not like let alone enjoy the experience of being carts when playing golf – they are as welcome as the old saying ‘a fart in a spacesuit’.

PS To the best of my knowledge I have never said that life was better 100 years ago, that is another lie or being more forgiving let’s say someone is trying again to put words into my mouth, but yes we can learn from past generations, well some of us can.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2012, 01:11:56 PM »
Melvyn, when you play golf do you wear shoes with spikes? When you play golf do you use a tee, carry your clubs in a bag, keep score on a card with a pencil? If you are doing any of the the above then you are only walking, and not playing golf as it was intended 5.5 centuries ago...how dare you not embrace the full intent...if not the spirit of the great game!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »

We had a gentleman at our club with a terrible back disorder, it finally killed him. But what I will recall is the smile on his face when he played. He did his best and did not abuse the cart rules.  He honored every tradition of the game and its rules and had that giant smile on his face while playing. He was a golfer in the truest sense of the word. I really don't think a cart diminished him nor the game.

There must be some allowances made for those who do not enjoy good health. My Dad played with a blind golfer, there was a love of the game and its traditions. Should he have been excluded??  I would hope not.

Ed:

I'll be 51 in a couple of weeks, and I'm convinced what I need to do is get out and walk MORE, not less.  My older friends in Scotland, like Archie Baird, would never think of taking a buggy ... they will walk and play until they can no longer walk, and I am CERTAIN that they will be walking for a year or more longer in their lives because they have always got out and walked the golf course.

I have no problem with golf carts being provided for people who need them.  I don't agree with Melvyn's argument about walking being an integral part of the physical nature of the game -- in my opinion he's only going to that extreme to support a position he is adamant about, just as the PGA Tour made it in the Casey Martin court case.  [Perhaps Melvyn should meet Casey Martin.]  I am also sympathetic to people with back issues, although I'm not sure that trying to play golf out of a cart, when you have a bad back, is all that smart  But there are way too many people in golf who need carts, precisely because they are used to taking one instead of walking.  And much of politics these days is spent arguing right now about how to pay for the cart riders' long-term health care.

Amen my good man. But as the owner of a terrible back, more screws in it than in congress ,a nice level walk is sometimes welcomed. Playing stonewall north in a few weeks and stockpiling advil right now. Do not want to miss the chance to play this great course because of a balky back.  ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Melvyn,

Thank you for your response and thoughts. While I respect your views, the conclusions, for me, don't square. We can agree to disagree. The tenor of this thread has drifted downward too long. I trust we on this site can return the thread to a higher plane. Even if we differ, folks shouldn't continue making negative comments personal in nature.

Ran and the others responsible for the quality of this forum deserve more respect from us, and I will strive to restrain from allowing  strong, negative language to seep into my posts going forward. I know it is hard for all of us when we really believe adamantly in something, but softening the edges, at least, should be within the capacity of all of us.

Cheers,
Kris  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:39:05 PM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2012, 06:30:03 PM »
Kris

Thanks for your response, and I can understand your opinions. So we don’t agree on some or all points. That’s life we will not be going to war or trying to get the other excluded from this site.

I firmly believe that the intention with the usual bunch is to have me removed, hence the pointless comments not just on my interview, in fact if you have read some of their posts you may have noticed that at least one has not bothered to read either Part 1 or 2, but decided to comment anyway. Others try to put words in my mouths which I have not spoken. If it is not to sabotage the tread and/or interviews, it’s trying to send me to Coventry, I presume in the hope I will leave.

My aim from the start was just to get you guys thinking with a mixture of the past, present and hopefully the future issues. I have pushed Askernish on many of you to show how original courses may have looked and played, but more importantly the ability to build good courses at sensible prices. Plus showing that good site selection can minimise the ground work allowing retention of much of the features that was there in the first place.  On these points from the numbers of e-mail I received, I seem to have succeeded, so these saboteurs have failed.

Whatever happens in the future this site has been hurt by these mindless attacks. Yet more disappointing I would have thought for Ran and GCA.com is how the vast majority say nothing, keep their silence and walk away. Ran asked me for the interview, Ran had the choice to post or not and when he did he gave what I would say was one of the best introductions I have seen on the subject of the Feature Interview.

So in the end no one wins as we all lose, frustration sets in. One thing getting back to golf that has come to light in that energy is a factor in walking and carrying clubs, it would be great if this study, originally undertaken in 1920, could be redone but based upon walking vs. riding not carrying bags. Then let’s look at the results to see to what extent – if any, a cart gives a player over a walker. If final proof is available to really judge if carts constitutes an aid. Once we know then action, if require, can be implemented. Whatever the outcome carts should be available for those with age or mobility issues.

Thank you for posting your thoughts.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:34:43 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »
Melvyn...nice play with the martyr card. 

I suggest you get over it. Some people agree with you and others don't. Some people walk and call it golf  and some ride a cart and call it golf.  If, in YOUR humble opinion, that isn't golf...fine...you are entitled to your opinions, but so is the guy that rides a cart...uses a caddie, or gets yardage off a sprinkler head. 
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »

Craig

I am no martyr, just trying to show some respect for Ran and his site. Regrettably not your intention.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2012, 07:10:58 PM »
PM/email sent.

Melvyn,

You've posted in many other threads in the past week, so I don't understand why you're avoiding my question.

Unless, of course...

Earth to Scott........Earth to Scott.........Come in Scott.

Scott Warren

« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2012, 07:18:57 PM »
Bill,

You think it's possible that Melvyn hasn't been to Askernish?

He has posted at length about the qualities of the course. And lectured Tom Doak about what he should and shouldn't do there... And was afforded a GCA.com Feature Interview in which to pontificate further.

Say it ain't so!

Melvyn?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2012, 11:23:41 PM »
Bill,

You think it's possible that Melvyn hasn't been to Askernish?

He has posted at length about the qualities of the course. And lectured Tom Doak about what he should and shouldn't do there... And was afforded a GCA.com Feature Interview in which to pontificate further.

Say it ain't so!

Melvyn?

There may be a certain amount of channelling going on.   

Tom Dunne

There may be a certain amount of channelling going on.   
[/quote]

I love it. I'm going to write that one down.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back