News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Knoll Club (West)
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:51:41 PM »
Every time I play the Knoll Club, I have a great time - even in the pouring rain washout of the '09 U.S. Open Thursday.  Really terrific greens like 1, 2 3, 4, 6, 13 (stop me anytime), great holes out of the M-R-B Bloodline like a Road, a double plateau, a terrific Redan, a cool 2-shot Redan, and a great Biarritz, and a reasonable price.

There's history, architecture, an easy walk, Macd-Rayn-Bks holes - all in all a really nice course at a fair price.  How come more of us don't play it, write about it, chat about it?  It beats to bloody hell any of the NYC public courses...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Ben Voelker

Re: Knoll Club (West)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »
I just moved to New Jersey in July and just keep hearing great things about Knoll West.  I didn't make it in 2011, but its on the top of my list next year.  I am hoping to put together a photo tour together once I have the chance to visit.

astavrides

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:21:24 AM »
How come more of us don't play it, write about it, chat about it? 

you mean other than the many threads you found when you used the search function?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:23:46 AM »
I keep hearing more and more about it.  It's on the 2012 list that I need to go see.  I believe there is going to be an outing there this spring.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mike Hendren

Re: Knoll Club (West) New
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »
Big fan of Knoll West but must share my vetting experience there.

I call well ahead of my trip and request a tee time.  Since they use a funky shotgun starting system  I was advised by a gentlemen (let's use Phil) to show up at 8:00 a.m. and they would work me in.  

It pours rain the night before and I show up at 7:45 a.m., the second car in the parking lot.   I enter the golf shop, introduce myself and explain that Phil had indicated they could work me in.  I thought I recognized the gentleman behind the counter from the television show Sopranos when he responded "nobody named Phil works here."  Okay I thought to myself, tone down the Southern accent.  I then ask if I may play the course.  "We got an outing this morning at 8:00 a.m." explained the Tony look-a-like.  Hmmm, still only two cars in the parking lot and it's a couple of minutes before 8.  Strike two.  "George Bahto holds the course in high regard and suggested I see it when I'm in the area" I casually name-dropped.  I'm hardly bosom buddies with Uncle George but desperation had set in and I trusted that George is a forgiving man - that and the fact that I'd bought his book.  The reply from the Tony look-a-like?   "Yeah, Georgie Boy, he don't come round here much no  more."   Damn.  Strike three.  

I didn't have to be at Plainfield until 2 p.m. so I reach for the mulligan.  "Look, I'd really welcome the opportunity to play and the course is wide open" I reasoned.  "You sure you didn't arrange to play Knoll EAST?" belched TLAL.  Mustering up what little Southern Charm remained, I replied no.  "Okay you can play, but we don't take credit cards" TLAL explained as he played his final hand.

I handed him cash and was off to enjoy a nice three hours round with the course to myself.  I chalked my pro shop experience up as just another cultural exchange.  

I loved the golf course, getting up an down from the cavernous bunker fronting the 18th for a par.  Then I got the hell out of there.  

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:43:21 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:30:56 PM »
Mike,

I grew up just across the lovely Passaic River from the Knoll and used to caddy there in my yute. I think I went to HS with Phil. You're lucky your car was still in lot when you were done.

I always remembered the "Big Knoll" as we called it back then for being everything that the "Little Knoll" wasn't.  Mostly, really good.

I didn't know a redan from a sedan back then but even as a youngster you could tell there was something special about the place.

One of the toughest things in my life was lugging two Rodney Dangerfield sized bags up the 18th in the late afternoon of a dual double loop day. And I've been through Navy Seal training.

Ok, I haven't been through Seal training but I saw a video once.

The Big Knoll would be a great place for a GCA outing.

Go Vols.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:57:06 PM »
Maybe we should arrange a date to play there together...Ben, Mark and Bogey contact me off-list. 
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »
Mike,

I grew up just across the lovely Passaic River from the Knoll and used to caddy there in my yute. I think I went to HS with Phil. You're lucky your car was still in lot when you were done.

I always remembered the "Big Knoll" as we called it back then for being everything that the "Little Knoll" wasn't.  Mostly, really good.

I didn't know a redan from a sedan back then but even as a youngster you could tell there was something special about the place.

One of the toughest things in my life was lugging two Rodney Dangerfield sized bags up the 18th in the late afternoon of a dual double loop day. And I've been through Navy Seal training.

Ok, I haven't been through Seal training but I saw a video once.

The Big Knoll would be a great place for a GCA outing.

Go Vols.

A couple gems in that post.  Well did.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »
Terry, I concur...A redan from a sedan, now don't that beat all!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

George_Bahto

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »
Funny stuff guys

thanks bogey
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back