News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

Roundabouts in golf course architecture - Alwoodley routing
« on: February 14, 2012, 12:34:39 PM »
Genius in routing can be found at Alwoodley with what could be seen as a roundabout...

http://binettegolfarchitecture.blogspot.com/2012/02/roundabout-of-golf-course-architecture.html

Are there some more existing in the world ??  I can think of Merion switch from 2-3 and 5-6... but it's not as complex.

More examples ???

Jason Topp

Re: Roundabouts in golf course architecture - Alwoodley routing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
I am not sure whether or not it is the same concept but I have played three different courses constructed in the mid-60's that are routed repeatedly back to the same spot.  I wonder if it was a goal with certain designers.

On the public course I play the most the first green/second tee; fourth green/fifth tee and the eighth green/9th tee all surround a single spot on the course.  One terrific benefit of such a routing is that you get to say hello to people you know playing the same nine.  Such a routing also ensures you are changing direction frequently. 

Philippe Binette

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:35 PM »
there are a lot of courses that have crossings in between the holes... at Alwoodley, it seems the holes are the crossing point.. that's what is great about it

Greg Krueger

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »
Mid Pines comes to mind. There are a couple of points that you come back to during the round.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »
Shoreacres.  The confluence of holes near the rest house.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:18:29 PM »
Pebble Beach has the neat cross over where the 4th tee and 17th tee are side by side, and you reach the cliff top holes for the first time on 4 and return to the cliff on 17.   Great routing cross over.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:57:05 PM »
I too was impressed with the crossover holes without the danger and asked Nick about it.  However, two issues with the "roundabout".  First, both the short holes head in exactly the same direction and I did find it noticeable.  Second, its a very awkward walk back to #7, but I realize that Dr Mac's 6th green was probably far short of the current green. 

This sort of idea is used at Pennard with fairways as backstops for greens.  Its not quite the same as a "safe crossover",  but it keeps the routing moving smoothly. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back