News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Pebble Beach Why do we all fawn over it?
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »
Yes, it is seaside golf. Yes the area is gorgeous. Yes it is an outstanding design. Yet, there are a number of these really well designed courses around the US and world located on the ocean and in incredible areas. What makes us go on and on about Pebble each year? I think for me is the combination of it all seems to rise above the rest. The lack of links style of play is the only thing missing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:25:41 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Tom_Doak

Re: Pebble Beach Why do we all fawn over it?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
For good players, the clincher is the teeny-tiny greens that demand such accuracy on the approach.

For average citizens, the view from the 8th fairway on down #9 and #10 justifies the price tag.

But, what keeps it so high in the rankings is familiarity ... hosting the Crosby since most of us are old enough to remember, plus a few U.S. Opens thrown in on top.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »
Tom, I do agree on the tiny greens. I find that part of the great design there. I have always been partial to small greens which place a premium on accuracy and ability to get up and down. But that is me because it was the type of course i grew up on.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »
I love the figure 8 routing.   

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »
For years, it was the great American Public Course...before Bandon, before the restoration of Bethpage, ....

Where else have the great American championship tournaments been held that the common man could play?  Perhaps, not so much now with the cost of playing there...but in the past it was pretty darn accessible for all.

Bart

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
Do you feel that PB has been significantly improved since 1990? I remember the 3rd as not being all that, yet watching today it looks good, I dont remeber that big loopy greenside trap mid right and the green seems different to how I remember.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 03:31:23 PM by Adrian_Stiff »
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

David Kelly

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 04:05:40 PM »
A few years ago my friend and I were first off at Pebble Beach with no caddies and when we got to the 6th green I looked around and there was nobody in sight, the weather was perfect, and I figured that at that moment I was at the greatest spot on the planet.

Other reasons not yet mentioned:

It is, along with Augusta National, the most iconic golf course in the USA but unlike Augusta any golfer can play it whenever they want.

Just about every great American golfer since WWII  has played there and most have won.

I would guess that of all the great golf courses more golfers have played it with or alongside their wife or girlfriend than any other.

Plus all the reasons Tiger mentioned above.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »
A few years ago my friend and I were first off at Pebble Beach with no caddies and when we got to the 6th green I looked around and there was nobody in sight, the weather was perfect, and I figured that at that moment I was at the greatest spot on the planet.

My opportunity to play it was also first out--its hard to imagine any better site to play golf. I also think holes like #8 at Pebble (#16 at CPC) earn brownie points because of the way the golfer gets to interact with the ocean/surroundings. How often do you get to hit a shot out off a bluff out over the ocean and have it (hopefully) hit land on the other side. For as many courses as there are on the ocean (or big lakes), most of them don't allow that kind of interaction. I think that Bandon has holes that can match the experience of #9/10 at Pebble with #4/13 at PD and a couple holes at BD as well, but #8 at Pebble is something that you just can't recreate. I've never seen anything like #6 at PB either.

Plus all that other stuff...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 04:44:22 PM »
I recall my first impressions after my first go. I was amazed I wasn't disappointed after all the expectations. This was all before GCA.com and the fee was $195. I recall feeling very comfy playing recovery shots out of the rough since it was either Blue or Rye grass just like the courses I grew up on in Chicago. After having caddied there and 20 or so rounds playing, what I tthink is special is how the sum is greater than the parts. And, what I call Mojo which is a combo of its counter intuitiveness from situations on specific shots from nearly every spot imaginable. Thatt, and the flow of the entirety is just so uniqque and special. Merion ellicited similar feelings, for me. One has an Ocean, so clearly not a factor in my feelings.  Recent alterattions have taken away from some uniqueness @ PB.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

RDecker

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »
For those of you lucky enough to be Red Sox fans ;)I would say I liken Pebble to Fenway park.  The sense of history is palpable and the uniqueness is charming and refreshing.  In a world where every course has a signature hole and plays 7,400 from the tips Pebble Beach seems to stay the same even with the changes it still feels familiar and there is nothing wrong with that.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »
I get a kick of all of the fawning because I don't really like it. I've never played it, but I've been to the Crosby a couple of times, so I've seen the whole course in person. The houses really take A LOT away from it for me. And the whole place just feels so 'corporate.' I freely admit that there are some really great holes out there, but there are some clunkers, too, which I think hurts it considering it's supposed to be 'all-world.' But with the green fee, reservation policy, and the 'bucket list' nature of many people's journey there, it's just too much for me.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 08:08:56 PM »
Andy,

Whatever else one might say, I wouldn't judge Pebble Beach based on what you see during a tournament. A Walker Cup, maybe, but certainly not a professional event.
Tim Weiman

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »
Tiger,

Simply put, it's a great golf course in a unique setting.

The routing, individual holes, wind, heroic carries and small greens make it one of the great courses in golf.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »
Andy, In all honesty it is a corporate experience since the Palmer group bought it. But one can escape that during their own round of golf.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »
Andy,

Whatever else one might say, I wouldn't judge Pebble Beach based on what you see during a tournament. A Walker Cup, maybe, but certainly not a professional event.

Do the cart paths (and full on roads) and houses go away after the pros leave town?

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 10:55:36 PM »
Andy,

Actually, I would say they do.  I say this having played the course about five times (always walking and playing with a caddy) and attending two tournaments. When playing the course, the focus is just totally different. Houses and cart paths just weren't in my mind at all.

I mentioned the Walker Cup because due to the much different size of the crowd, watching the event is much more like playing the course, than is true for Pebble. I walked Pine Valley during the 1985 event before I later played PV a couple times. Playing wasn't much different than following guys like Bob Lewis and Jay Sigel.

Lots to debate about Pebble, but, again, I wouldn't put much weight on judging it by watching a crowded pro event. Even Cypress Point wasn't as impressive to see during the Crosby. Much different and better without the crowds.
Tim Weiman

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 10:56:39 PM »
Andy,

The high curbed cart paths were mandated when two golfers, on a foggy day, drove their cart over the cliff on # 8 and were killed.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 11:00:39 PM »
Andy S.,

Like so much, what you'll find at Pebble depends on what you look for. If you want to ride a cart and look at fancy houses, you have that opportunity at Pebble Beach. I was pleased that they allowed me to walk and carry (sad that its surprising at top courses these days) and can't say I even noticed there were cart paths in most places. The houses don't go away, but I only throught they really detracted from #15 and a bit on #18 sadly.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 11:05:24 PM »
1. Beautiful piece of land
2. Beautiful views
3. Great routing
4. The history

I could keep listing reasons but I'll stop.

I think it would  be the best course in the world by far with some changes including reverting it back to what the name implies... A LINKS!!!!!!! :o
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »
I get a kick of all of the fawning because I don't really like it. I've never played it, but I've been to the Crosby a couple of times, so I've seen the whole course in person. The houses really take A LOT away from it for me. And the whole place just feels so 'corporate.' I freely admit that there are some really great holes out there, but there are some clunkers, too, which I think hurts it considering it's supposed to be 'all-world.'

I actually agree with you, Andy. And I have played the course enough to make sure I didn't miss anything. Unfortunately, the houses and cart paths are there. It's an excellent course, but probably not worth this amount of fawning.

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 11:46:53 PM »
For years, it was the great American Public Course...before Bandon, before the restoration of Bethpage, ....

Where else have the great American championship tournaments been held that the common man could play?  Perhaps, not so much now with the cost of playing there...but in the past it was pretty darn accessible for all.

Bart

You can't hit a homer at Yankee Stadium...or score a touch down in Lambeau.  Shoot a game winner in the Garden or some famous hockey rink (sorry...not a huge hockey fan no offense).  But you can chip in on #17  (or if you're really good hit the flagstick).  Here in the states, if you are a golfer you dream of winning the US Open...and you dream of winning it at Pebble.  When you play there you can pretend you are doing just that (I'm 1 for 1).  

It's a magical place.  

As far as price...you probably spend twice as much on coffee in a year.  PRIORITIES.

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »
Joe,

Agree, it's a very special golf course

Sean Leary

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »
Andy,

The high curbed cart paths were mandated when two golfers, on a foggy day, drove their cart over the cliff on # 8 and were killed.

Is that a confirmed story or an urban legend...?

Matthew Essig

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 12:17:07 AM »
Andy,

True story; however, I have heard a story about a couple of walking golfers with pull carts chatting away on a foggy day and they ALMOST walked off the cliff because they weren't paying attention. One golfer lost his clubs and pull cart though.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Sam Morrow

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 12:17:34 AM »
Andy,

I say urban legend, if that really happened we would have all heard about it every year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back