News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Re: The 9th at TOC
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 04:41:51 AM »
The thing that I like about #9 is that it is still there.  Unchanged.  Despite all that room behind to make the hole 'longer'. Or 'better'.  That says something to me, despite whatever people think of the hole and its apparent ease/simplicity.

By the way that gorse on the left certainly does come into play.  I think my ball went in there one time - never did find it.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 06:40:19 AM »
Its true the hole does not have the same movement in it as most of the other holes on the course but the green has a lot of subtle movement in it and it is not so easy to hole a putt from outside 10 feet. I also think the two central bunkers are important as it goes against the grain to lay up short of the first and the second does affect a downwind approach. Without the burn would the first be as good?

Jon

Matt MacIver

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 09:19:29 AM »
The more in think about it the more I think #9 “fits” in with the rest of TOC perfectly. 

Since TOC is the definition of quirk and unpredictability I would expect all 18 holes to have wild fairway contours and uneven lies, hidden bunkers everywhere and undulating green complexes.  That #9 has none of these puts it out of character with the rest of the holes – quirk perfected!

But I’ve only played the course once and am still star-struck with TOC, St. Andrews, The Opens, etc. so maybe this wouldn’t work on the quirkiest of U.S. courses…

I also liked the fact that for the first time all round I (felt like) I was teeing off in a different direction.  Not that I was tired/bored from the previous tee shots, but it was stimulating; again it could be hero worship, I was at the tip of the Sheppard’s Hook!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 08:25:37 PM »
The thing that I like about #9 is that it is still there.  Unchanged.  Despite all that room behind to make the hole 'longer'. Or 'better'.  That says something to me, despite whatever people think of the hole and its apparent ease/simplicity.

James:

I am pretty sure the hole is 30 yards longer than when I caddied there in 1982.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »

James:

I am pretty sure the hole is 30 yards longer than when I caddied there in 1982.

Tom, is that from the tee off to the side of 8 green?

James Bennett

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »
Tom

you may be right about the tee.  Many of the tees have been pushed back.

However, the green remains unchanged, despite its apparent simplicity and shortcomings, and despite there being adequate land behind the green for a longer hole.

Bill (and Tom) - I think when we played in the Reverse event in March 2007, the anti-clockwise course routing played on the first day was from the 'winter tees'.  I recall #8 played very long, from a well-worn, small, abscure tee at the back.  I can't recall which tee was used on #9, but it felt like it was tucked further left than I played in July 2006.  I expect Tom got to see the 'official' tees subsequently in the Dunhill Cup.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back