News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Summerell

New South Wales - Old 3rd Green Site
« on: February 04, 2012, 03:44:06 AM »
Looking at aerials from 1943, I noticed the 3rd green was just to the right of the 4th tee, which seems to be in the same position it is now. Where the green is now is just bush, possibly national park.

When did they move the green to the site it is now? Was it moved before Apperly died?

Mike_Clayton

Re: New South Wales - Old 3rd Green Site
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:40:38 AM »
Andrew,

It seems lots of work went on there over the years. Apperly added 6 I think and the 3rd green was right of the 4th tee.
I assume the club history documents it all but what is there now is hardly MacKenzie.

David_Elvins

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:14:19 AM »
Andrew,

I had always heard that the post WWII works were significant but had never seen the details.  If you have any inclination to post or email the aerials, i would be most interested. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:47:52 AM »
Andrew,

I had always heard that the post WWII works were significant but had never seen the details.  If you have any inclination to post or email the aerials, i would be most interested. 

I'll post them if I can, but I'm not sure how to save them.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 06:53:02 AM »
Andrew and David
You might be interested in these two oblique aerials that were taken in the mid to late 1930s.
Neil

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 07:33:53 AM »

[/quote]

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:48:17 AM »
Thanks Neil,

The 3rd looks similar to the aerial I have. Nowhere near as big a dogleg.

It's interesting how the bunkering has changed. I know there is almost no MacKenzie left in the course now days, but there seems to be very little Apperly either. Some of the old bunkering seems to make more sense.

Your photos are before St Michael's was constructed. Mine have St Mick's in its early stages.

David_Elvins

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:42:21 AM »
Some of the old bunkering seems to make more sense.

The bunkering and wide fairway on 5 looks really strategic and really cool. 

Anthony Butler

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »
Thanks Neil,

The 3rd looks similar to the aerial I have. Nowhere near as big a dogleg.

It's interesting how the bunkering has changed. I know there is almost no MacKenzie left in the course now days, but there seems to be very little Apperly either. Some of the old bunkering seems to make more sense.

Your photos are before St Michael's was constructed. Mine have St Mick's in its early stages.

I recall a conversation between my grandfather and great uncle in the 70s that tied the movement of the green to the need to establish the club's own water source (i.e. The dam to the left of the 4th hole in the current aerials. aka Lake Perrie) Several decades after the end of WW II, the land on which the course was transferred from the Army to National Parks and Wildlife, who asked the club to be self-sustaining with water needs for the course

Frank Perrie-who succeeded my great uncle as Captain of the club in '71 and went on the serve as president from 76-81-was instrumental in getting the dam finally built. The Green was moved in preparation for the dam being built several years before dam construction began. The club was strapped for money throughout the 60s and 70s, so it took a long time for them to actually build it...  My earliest memory of the course is around '73 and the 3rd green was already in its current location.

This is considered by the club to be the only significant routing change to the course after Eric Apperly's post-war redesign was completed in time for the club to host the 1953 Australian Amateur.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:17:43 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 03:28:58 AM »

Andrew

Interesting, so many of the holes are bunkered differently.

5 = short left was much bigger
6 = short and left were much bigger
14 = short right

That and the vegetation management  ;)

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 03:31:41 AM »
I like the drive bunker left on 13.

James Bennett

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 04:43:29 AM »

Andrew

Interesting, so many of the holes are bunkered differently.

14 = short right

Kevin

that bunker was still there in 1980.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back