News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Rank the Rankings
« on: February 03, 2012, 11:45:36 PM »
Here's a comparison between the new Links100 rankings against the Golfweek US Classic & Modern Top 25, with Golf Mag and Golf Digest thrown in for good measure. Bold denotes the only pub where the course makes the top 25.

Interestingly, for Links and GD, the 25th classic course is 33rd overall in each. 25th classic is 38th overall for GD. 25th modern is 68th overall for Links, 72nd for Golf Mag and 58th for Golf Digest.

So looking at the lists below, how would you rate the 4 major publication ratings?

Rk_____Links Classic__________GW Classic__________GM Classic__________GD Classic_____
1Cypress PointPine ValleyPine ValleyAugusta National
2Pine ValleyCypress PointCypress PointPine Valley
3Augusta NationalShinnecock HillsAugusta Nationalshinnecock hills
4Shinnecock HillsNGLAShinnecock HillsOakmont
5NGLAMerion (East)Pebble Beachcypress point
6OakmontOakmontOakmontPebble beach
7Merion (East)Fishers IslandMerion (East)Merion (East)
8Fishers IslandCrystal DownsNGLAWinged Foot (West)
9Pebble BeachPebble BeachPinehurst (No. 2)NGLA
10Prairie DunesAugusta NationalCrystal DownsFishers Island
11Crystal DownsSan FranciscoWinged Foot (West)Crystal Downs
12Pinehurst (No. 2)Prairie DunesSeminoleSeminole
13Winged Foot (West)ChicagoChicagoThe Country Club
14ChicagoSeminolePrairie DunesChicago
15San FranciscoLos Angeles (North)San FranciscoOak Hill (East)
16RivieraWinged Foot (West)Fishers IslandRiviera
17Los Angeles (North)Pinehurst (No. 2)Oakland Hills (South)Medinah (no 3)
18SeminoleGarden City GCRivieraOakland Hills (South)
19The Country ClubOakland Hills (South)Bethpage (Black)Prairie Dunes
20Oakland Hills (South)RivieraThe Country ClubOlympic Club (Lake)
21Bethpage (Black)Bethpage (Black)Los Angeles (North)Baltusrol (Lower)
22Garden City GCThe Country ClubOlympic (Lake)San Francisco
23ShoreacresOlympic Club (Lake)Garden City GCBethpage (Black)
24CamargoCamargoBaltusrol (Lower)Pinehurst (no 2)
25The Course at YaleSouthern HillsOak Hill (East)Southern Hills

Classic courses that are on 3 top 25's but not all 4: LA North and Garden City (not on Golf Digest); Olympic (Lake) (not on Links)

Rk_____Links Modern__________GW Modern__________GM Modern__________GD Modern_____
1Sand HillsSand HillsSand HillsSand Hills
2Pacific DunesPacific DunesPacific DunesThe Alotian Club
3Friar's HeadOld MacdonaldFriar's HeadPacific Dunes
4BallynealWhistling StraitsWhistling StraitsWhistling Straits
5Old MacdonaldFriar's HeadThe Ocean CourseMuirfield Village
6The Golf ClubBallynealTPC SawgrassWade Hampton
7The Ocean CourseBandon DunesMuirfield VillageThe Ocean Course
8Whistling StraitsSebonackBandon DunesBandon Dunes
9Bandon TrailsThe Golf ClubThe Golf ClubThe Honors Course
10Bandon DunesPete Dye GCOld SandwichCastle Pines
11Muirfield VillageShadow CreekOld MacdonaldShadow Creek
12Boston GCMuirfield VillageHarbour TownFriar's Head
13TPC SawgrassOld SandwichBallynealVictoria National
14Shadow CreekKinlochNaneaCanyata
15Old SandwichRock CreekChambers BayThe Golf Club
16Gozzer RanchSpyglass HillSpyglass HillTPC Sawgrass
17Chambers BayThe Honors CourseTrump Bedminster (Old)GC at Black Rock
18SebonackTPC SawgrassBandon TrailsSebonack
19Pete Dye GCWade HamptonThe Honors CoursePete Dye GC
20Monterey Peninsula (Shore)The Ocean CourseWade HamptonKinloch
21Wade HamptonBoston GCShadow CreekEagle Point
22Kingsley ClubGozzer RanchSebonackArcadia Bluffs
23Rock CreekMountaintopCalusa PinesSahalee
24The Honors CourseShooting StarGozzer RanchButler National
25KinlochChambers BayHazeltine NationalRich Harvest Links

Modern courses that are on 3 top 25's but not all 4: Ballyneal, Old Mac (probably timing), Old Sandwich, Chambers Bay, Gozzer Ranch (may be min vote thing) - all not on GD Top 25 modern; Kinloch not on GM Top 25 modern
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:59:17 PM by Jim Colton »

Michael George

Re: Rank the Rankings New
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 07:00:14 AM »
Jim:

Did you copy GM and GD Classic list or are they identical?

Good thread.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:49:33 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jim Colton

Re: Rank the Rankings
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:09:05 AM »
Michael,

Yeah, I'll go in and fix that last column. Might take me a bit to get it in the table. Here is the GD list in the meantime.

Augusta
Pine Valley
Shinnecock
Oakmont
Cypress Point
Pebble Beach
Merion
Winged Foot (West)
NGLA
Fishers Island
Crystal Downs
Seminole
The Country Club
Chicago
Oak Hill (East)
Riviera
Medinah (no 3)
Oakland Hills (South)
Prairie Dunes
Olympic Club (Lake)
Baltusrol (Lower)
San Francisco
Bethpage (Black)
Pinehurst (no 2)
Southern Hills

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:21:36 AM by Jim Colton »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:21:44 AM »
Jim:

I think GW's are very good also and have little complaints.  One question is Mountaintop as most everyone that I have talked to that is very familiar with the area likes Grandfather and Diamond Creek better.  Any thoughts from Wade and Bart and others that know the area well.

Good thread.

Michael:

Glad to offer my opinion.  

Mountaintop is in a beatiful settting and has some very interesting holes.  The level of service at the club is top notch and it has a very modern feel.  There is pop music playing for all to hear at the driving range as you warm up.  The entire golf staff is outside on the range and course all day long tending to the members and visitors.  I have joked to some that the neck message I got on the first tee really loosened me up before my round.  The routing is confusing at best and walking is quite a challenge...the first hole alone would stop most from attempting the walk....Here is a picture of the 2nd hole at Mountaintop.

Again, to show you the stunning beauty of the place, here is a long par 3 over a ravine (the fairway short and left of the green had been aerated and sanded):

Diamond Creek, the other Fazio you mention, is in a similarly stunning setting.  It is a much tighter routing and certainly more walkable.  The strategic nuances of this course seem to far outweigh those at Mountaintop.   I believe the entire course has less than 50 bunkers and the maintenance is a near perfect firm and fast.  I believe it is superior to Mountaintop .

As to Grandfather, I am a member and accordingly I can be accused of bias appropriately.  Grandfather has the weakest opening hole of the 3 courses discussed here but has by far, the best and most walkable routing.  I walk about 80 to 90% of my rounds at Grandfather and so do most of my guests.  Grandfather feels much older and lies over ground without significant elevation changes.  Grandfather is well-known for its fast, sloped greens but its fairways have traditionally been too soft (progress in that regard is being made).  Grandfather's bunkering has been changed away from its original Ellis Maples design and truthfully, the bunkers lack depth and character.  Grandfather is in need of further tree removal despite quite a bit of work in that regard over the last 2 winters.  I love the place, and the setting for golf is tremendous.  

What else can I tell you?

Bart
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:03:06 PM by Bart Bradley »

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:33:47 AM »
To me it's in the following order (are you saying something by putting them in the same order Jim?):

1.  Links
2.  Golfweek
3.  Golf Magazine
4.  Golf Digest

Golf Digest is clearly last, primarily due to their obsession with difficulty and tournament tracks.  Links nudges out Golfweek for the top spot IMO primarily for a more appropriate ranking of the following courses (amongst others), both positively and negatively:

Shoreacres
Kingsley
Yale
Whistling Straights
Pinehurst #2
Fishers Island
Bandon Trails
Spyglass
Bandon Dunes
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:40:50 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:30:33 AM »
To be honest there is really very little difference between the lists.  Except for a few courses they are very similar. Having played most of the courses I can see reasons to include most of the courses.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »
Tommy,

I'm not sure how you can look at the Links Modern and Digest Modern lists and say there is very little difference.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:04:14 AM »
I would choose Links. It's the magazine that emphasizes architecture the most. That panel should have a greater appreciation for the ground golf is played on.

Anthony

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »
Links  ---->---- Golf Digest
Fun --->---- Pretty

If you are a pretty / maintenance player - use Digest
If you are a fun player - use Links
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 10:33:28 AM »
It looks to me like the GD list has not been updated in a while on the modern side.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »
It looks to me like the GD list has not been updated in a while on the modern side.

There is no "modern list" from Golf Digest or any other publication other than GolfWeek.  Jim has created those from the lists.

To me, the top 25 are basically all the same on the classics with some minor variations.  It's some of the larger differences that interest me.  Yale being 25th on the Links list isn't in the top 100 for Golf Digest?  Seems like it's overrated on Links and underrated on Digest.

Jim Colton

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »
Joel,

Yale and Rich Harvest might be the two biggest differences of any courses in the mix. Links has Yale 33rd in the US. Golf Digest has Yale 6th in Connecticut, something probably akin to being 500-600th in the US. I'd have it much closer to the former than he latter.

George Freeman

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 11:32:15 AM »
Where is the "Unofficial GCA" ranking??   ;)
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Freeman

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »
Jim - are the bold courses ones that don't appear in other lists?  If not, what do they entail?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jim Colton

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »
Jim - are the bold courses ones that don't appear in other lists?  If not, what do they entail?

Thats what it's meant to do. It's updated for modern, I believe. I didn't go in and change the classics after I updated the last Column.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »
Pretty sure Kingsley is Top25 GW modern
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jim Colton

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 11:45:35 AM »

26. Kingsley Club

(19, p) Kingsley, Mich.

2001, Mike Devries

Jackson C

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 11:56:12 AM »

Thats what it's meant to do. It's updated for modern, I believe. I didn't go in and change the classics after I updated the last Column.

Thanks for putting this together Jim.  As usual, it is very interesting to see the numbers against each other.

Of the bolded courses, a few do appear in other's list -- as you pointed out Kingsley is 26 and 19p on GW's list, so it is supported by a similar ranking on another list.
Glancing at the other rankings, it appears that Calusa Pines, Nanea, and Alotian's rankings are not outliers as well, as they place on another list, not far beyond 25.

WRT true outliers?  Shooting Star and Rich Harvest, as you've pointed out?
Perhaps you can compile a list incorporating the rankings of these four sources?   :)
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Buck Wolter

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »

26. Kingsley Club

(19, p) Kingsley, Mich.

2001, Mike Devries

Glad I let the GW subscription lapse  ;)

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
Looking over the classics lists, if you did a breakdown I'd bet that Golf Magazine probably has the most consistent placement amongst the four.  That being said, I find myself agreeing with the Links list on the whole over the other three.  I think that GM may be a bit closer to the anomalies that occur in the GD list, and therefore its rankings come out with the least deviation from an average of the four. 

Here's a highly unofficial and unscientific ranking of the classics based on the average spot for each course on the four rankings:

1. Pine Valley
2. Cypress Point
3.  Shinnie
4. ANGC
5. Oakmont
6. NGLA
7. Merion
8. Pebble
9. Crystal
10. Fishers
11. WFW
12. Chicago
13. Prairie D.
14. Seminole
15. Pinehurst
16. SF
17. Riviera
18. TCC
19. Oakland Hills
20. LA North
21. Bethpage
22. GCGC
23. Olympic
24. Baltusrol
25. Camargo
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jim Colton

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 08:49:18 PM »
Sven,

I think the composite classic is really strong, probably better than any of the individual lists. The composite modern isn't quite as good, in my opinion, probably because the modern lists are so volatile.

Sand Hills
Pacific Dunes
Whistling Straits (Straits)
Friar's Head
Bandon Dunes
Muirfield Village
The Golf Club
Kiawah Island (Ocean Course)
Old Macdonald
Ballyneal
TPC Sawgrass (Players)
Shadow Creek
Old Sandwich
Sebonack
Wade Hampton
The Honors Course
Pete Dye GC
Bandon Trails
The Alotian Club
Chambers Bay
Spyglass Hill
Boston GC
Kinloch
Gozzer Ranch
Castle Pines

Note: Old Mac wasn't eligible for the last GD list, so it would likely move up a couple slots. I think Gozzer had a top 100 score, but didn't have enough votes to qualify. So it would move up as well if you factored that in somehow. I simply gave 25 pts for 1st, 1 pt for 25th, so one shortfall is it doesn't give credit for something that's listed lower on a given list. A different approach would obviously yield a different result, but the top 5-10 is probably pretty solid.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 03:04:05 AM »
Jim

I like the look of the Links lists v those of GD in particular which has some real outliners (For the record - I participated in developing the Links list) GD in the classic list has Cypress low and my old yardstick PB ahead of Merion, NGLA and Fishers Island ? GD in the modern list has Friars half-way, no Bandon Trails but Bandon Dunes and many tournament venues ?

Tom Dunne

It seems even though it was turned around in a short timeframe the US list seems pretty well recieved. Any chance of putting a country map on the world listings ?

Jim C - I haven't done a Top25 World listing comparison - but at first glance it seems OK ?

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 05:14:51 AM »
Jim
 Gold Star for your effort putting this together for our viewing pleasure.

I would say that after staring at the differant lists for 30-45 minutes and two cups of coffee, I like the quality and the memories that surface on the LINKS list.

Thank you for the distraction. I needed one to take away the thought of my Patriots giving away that game last night. I've seen Welker make that catch more times than I can remember but not last night.

That safety call was bogus. Even Brady quipped that he thought Branch was running a post. Referee should have known that was a possible route. Tom would not have said a word if he thought he did not have case. Course, we got away with one on the pass interference.. Some might debate that but that could have been a flag with no argument from me.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Peter Pallotta

Re: Rank the Rankings New
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 07:34:57 AM »
Jim - thanks for posting the rankings like that.  For me I'm glad someone like Tommy W -- who has played most of the courses on all the lists -- finds "very little difference" between them.  I'm glad because it helps support my (uninformed) view that we tend to miss the forest for the trees, i.e. that in focusing on individual courses -- the ones we want to see higher or lower, or on or off the list(s) -- we can miss/dowplay the overall and quite overwhelming unanimity of opinion, the virtual consensus, that is manifest in those various lists.  Group five or ten courses together (as the best, second best etc "groups") and the unanimity gets even more pronounced. I don't know what that "means" if anything -- it may simply mean that all the experts agree: there is absolutely no doubt at all about what courses are the top 10/20/30 courses in America, classic and modern.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:06:51 AM by PPallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back