News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

All the info I could find is below, but the gist of it is the City of Windsor owned Roseland Golf Course (Ross, 1926) is to be restored by the team of Lutzke / Albanese.  Focus of the work will be restoring lost bunkers and returning greens to their original sizes.

The RFT: http://www.merx.com/English/supplier_menu.asp?WCE=Show&TAB=1&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=223299&src=osr&FED_ONLY=0&ACTION=&rowcount=&lastpage=&MoreResults=&PUBSORT=0&CLOSESORT=0&IS_SME=N&hcode=AqpepADNfOMR6g4fRSmFNg%3D%3D

A requirement: "As a minimum, the Contractor shall provide proof of successful completion of restoration of at least one (1) or more Donald Ross designed golf courses, or one (1) or more Stanley Thompson designed golf courses, or one (1) or more A.W. Tillinghast designed golf courses and restoration work for at least three (3) courses built before 1935. The Contractor must also have performed remodeling work for at least 5 golf course projects."

$1MM restoration effort for a muni, isn't too shabby.  Certainly makes me want to make the trip next year when it is completed.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/story/2011/11/21/wdr-roseland-upgrades.html?cmp=rss

The scope of work to be completed:

http://www.golf-designs.com/courses/Roseland/Roseland.html

A video of Paul Albanese discussing the work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nqU4GP1Bys

A few quotes that excite this GCA junkie:

"Untouched Donald Ross original golf course"

"Like finding an old Van Gogh painting in an addict somewhere...but it needed to be restored to its original splendour"

"Greens are all original, untouched Ross greens"

Albanese talks the talk.  Can he walk the walk?

Any additional info on this project? Jeff Mingay?

Jeff_Mingay

Re: City Owned Roseland Golf Course (Ross), Windsor, Canada to be Restored
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:37:11 AM »
Mark,

The work started last fall. I believe it's nearly complete, with a bit of work to finish up come spring.

I walked around the course with Paul Albanese very, very early on, shortly after construction work started. I haven't been back since though. So I'm not sure how it's going.

Tyler Rae is the shaper/project manager out there for TDI (the contractor). Tyler's a very keen young guy, with some good experience and a lot of knowledge of, and passion for classic architecture. I'm sure he's been a very positive influence on the work being done as well.
jeffmingay.com

RJ_Daley

Re: City Owned Roseland Golf Course (Ross), Windsor, Canada to be Restored
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »
Paul Albanese used to chip in here on GCA.com from time to time.  I hope he'd make an appearance to discuss this project. 

Interesting to see the contrast of the first concept drawing from '26 and the aerial from '47.  IN that 20 years, no real encroachment or hemming in of the course by trees appear.  But those on the more recent aerial photos and from what you see on the youtube clearly show trees that have taken over the flatish appearing course.   The aerial of 47 doesn't show any active water way, yet the concept drawing indicates at least surface drainage ways across the course, which was more in line with the techniques of moving water on surface in those days.  But, most interesting is how Paul depicts with photoshopping in some bunkers that are no longer evident on #6, whil having to deal with the trees in the photoshopped projected picture of how it will look with the bunkers. 

My question is whether they will go for the "full Monty" and get rid of the trees and like on #6, let the bunker placement in the LZ dictate the strategy rather than also have the trees be a major (unintended) factor on the slight dogleg?

BTW, it is Roseland Golf and 'Curling Club'.  Those funloving Canucks know how to chase away the winter blahs...  ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back