News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Jackson

Golf in Galveston, Texas
« on: February 02, 2012, 04:50:21 PM »
I may have occasion to be spending a decent amount of vacation time in Galveston in the next few years, and thought I'd poll the board about where to play.  I have never spent much time, and have played no golf there, so I'm starting at ground zero.

A few points in research I've done so far:

There appears to have been a Galveston CC (Ross) that was abandoned.

The current Galveston CC was designed by Scotsman Mungo Parke 1898 (Original location near 53rd Street), then was moved to its current location in 1947 (new course designed by Ralph Plummer).  Redesigned by Jacobsen – Hardy in 2003.

The current Moody Gardens GC is the product of a $16 million renovation in 2008, and was known as Galveston Municipal GC prior to that.  It appears that the work was done in an effort to recruit play from the resort market in Galveston and with intentions to make it one of the best municipal courses in Texas.  The work was done by Jacobsen - Hardy as well, and the entire course scraped bare and replanted with saltwater-resistant paspalum.

Anybody played them and could comment on either/both? 

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Golf in Galveston, Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »
I may have occasion to be spending a decent amount of vacation time in Galveston in the next few years, and thought I'd poll the board about where to play.  I have never spent much time, and have played no golf there, so I'm starting at ground zero.

A few points in research I've done so far:

There appears to have been a Galveston CC (Ross) that was abandoned.

The current Galveston CC was designed by Scotsman Mungo Parke 1898 (Original location near 53rd Street), then was moved to its current location in 1947 (new course designed by Ralph Plummer).  Redesigned by Jacobsen – Hardy in 2003.

The current Moody Gardens GC is the product of a $16 million renovation in 2008, and was known as Galveston Municipal GC prior to that.  It appears that the work was done in an effort to recruit play from the resort market in Galveston and with intentions to make it one of the best municipal courses in Texas.  The work was done by Jacobsen - Hardy as well, and the entire course scraped bare and replanted with saltwater-resistant paspalum.

Anybody played them and could comment on either/both? 

Moody Gardens is okay - crazy windy!  Give me a shout if you're ever coming through Houston on your way down.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:23:42 PM »
Nearby Magnolia Creek is a Doak 5
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »
Jeff Brauer's The Wilderness Golf is 70 minutes away (per Google Maps) in Lake Jackson.   It's a really good course with some long par 4s, a Biarritz green, and some interesting short par 4's.

www.thewildernessgc.com/

My son and I drove down from Houston one fall and walked.  I think we were the only ones that year, but it's an easy walk.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Jim,

I am very excited as this is something that I actually know about and am not just pulling stuff out of my ass. I'd never heard about Ross being involved with any of the versions of Galveston CC. The current location is okay, it's got lots of water and the wind will test you throughout. Like Kyle said Moody Gardens is crazy windy, I've not played it since the renovation but I liked the old Galveston Island Muni. Right after they reopened it I ran into one of the main guys for Jacoben/Hardy, I asked him about the course and he looked at me and said, "You sound like one of those assholes from Golfclubatlas." I was surprised he said that but he didn't strike me as being very friendly.

One you leave the island you have quite a few options if you don't mind a short drive. I will make it easier for you and not send you into Houston.

Like Bill said, The Wilderness is very good I really think it's one of the most underrated courses in Texas, it's worth the drive if you have the time. Another one that's pretty good is Southwyck, it was designed by Ken Kavanaugh and was a really good course but the houses are to close now and it really takes away. Down on the southside of town a bunch of the municipalities have their own little course, the oil money helps. Bay Forest in LaPorte is fun, lots of water and very close to the bay. Battleground in Deer Park is very good and if you don't want to drive very far I'd go to the course in Texas City, Butch Harmon used to be the pro. One last tidbit, Beacon Lakes in Dickinson is the worlds longest fully lighted golf course, I think it's about 6,800.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:26:14 PM »
 8) Sam... I know you're not that guy.  I think the J-H folks don't get the love they need or crave?..

Jim,

You should find old threads on Houston golf offerings.  None overly remarkable, but some good straightforward venues with challenges to get ball in hole.

Magnolia Creek (27 holes) is part of Sequoia Golf (if that means anything to you.. for access.. it does to me, as WCC member i get to play for cart fee only) and it may be near top of the class on the south side. Though not completely surrounded by houses like Southwyk (where U of H team used to practice) the homes have changed character a little.   Let's make it happen, with some other 30th parallel gang members..

The Wilderness (Jeff Brauer) is definitely worth the drive, though Muni's Sam mentioned are less of interest to me than going up to Memorial Park in Houston ( ~Exit 45 on I-45).

I haven't played the old Galv Muni/Moody course also since renovation, but i recommend only play it when the wind is blowing, othewise the mosquitos can have you for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.. the greens were always the best part of it in past.. my boss liked it when last played in Dec.

I think you can get on TX City for like $8.. nuff said

Timber Creek (27 holes) is half way to Houston in Friendswood (if you can tell the difference from going up I-45 expressway)..

Check out the olf Galv Opry House if you can...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:40:41 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 07:47:06 PM »
8) Sam... I know you're not that guy.  I think the J-H folks don't get the love they need or crave?..

Jim,

You should find old threads on Houston golf offerings.  None overly remarkable, but some good straightforward venues with challenges to get ball in hole.

Magnolia Creek (27 holes) is part of Sequoia Golf (if that means anything to you.. for access.. it does to me, as WCC member i get to play for cart fee only) and it may be near top of the class on the south side. Though not completely surrounded by houses like Southwyk (where U of H team used to practice) the homes have changed character a little.   Let's make it happen, with some other 30th parallel gang members..

The Wilderness (Jeff Brauer) is definitely worth the drive, though Muni's Sam mentioned are less of interest to me than going up to Memorial Park in Houston ( ~Exit 45 on I-45).

I haven't played the old Galv Muni/Moody course also since renovation, but i recommend only play it when the wind is blowing, othewise the mosquitos can have you for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.. the greens were always the best part of it in past.. my boss liked it when last played in Dec.

I think you can get on TX City for like $8.. nuff said

Timber Creek (27 holes) is half way to Houston in Friendswood (if you can tell the difference from going up I-45 expressway)..

Check out the olf Galv Opry House if you can...

Do you like Timber Creek? Every time I've ever played it it's been a sponge.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back