News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Bartholomew was the first african american professional in the area, who started as a caddie at Audubon Park. He was sent to study under Seth Raynor and was the primary architect to build Metairie Cc in Metairie a suburb of New Orleans. He was the first pro there. He was the designer of a african american used course in Harahan on land he owned as well as Pontchatrain Park and City Park in New Orleans.

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Joe Batholomew is inducted into New Orleans sports Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 09:13:56 AM »
Great news, Tiger. Thanks for posting.

From what I know, Mr. Bartholomew seems to be one of the most interesting characters in the history of golf. Hopefully Geo. Bahto has some additional info. on his involvement with Raynor in his forthcoming book on Seth. I wonder...
jeffmingay.com

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 09:26:15 AM »
Bartholomew was the first african american professional in the area, who started as a caddie at Audubon Park. He was sent to study under Seth Raynor and was the primary architect to build Metairie Cc in Metairie a suburb of New Orleans. He was the first pro there. He was the designer of a african american used course in Harahan on land he owned as well as Pontchatrain Park and City Park in New Orleans.

Tiger was it Colonial CC in Harahan?
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »
Lynn I do not think so. The articles I read described it more as a course on some of his land built primarily for the African American population in the area. I am not sure when Harahan Cc was built but i am guessing later.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »
Tiger,

What are your thoughts on Metairie CC?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:18:13 PM »
Sam I play or should I say played there over 50 times. The plusses are it is a Raynor renovation with some great holes. It is fun to play. When the greens are right it is a joy to play and challenging. It is not a top Raynor but it is the only one other than Mountain Lake in the deep coastal south left. The negative is there is not enough land for the course. Some was sold many years ago and it is badly needed. The land is low and clay based. So even after sand capping there are drainage issues which are just tough to overcome below sea level in New Orleans. The hurricane did a good bit of damage on top of that and killed some significant strategic trees. All said and done I will always love it and look forward to playing there again.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »
Sam I play or should I say played there over 50 times. The plusses are it is a Raynor renovation with some great holes. It is fun to play. When the greens are right it is a joy to play and challenging. It is not a top Raynor but it is the only one other than Mountain Lake in the deep coastal south left. The negative is there is not enough land for the course. Some was sold many years ago and it is badly needed. The land is low and clay based. So even after sand capping there are drainage issues which are just tough to overcome below sea level in New Orleans. The hurricane did a good bit of damage on top of that and killed some significant strategic trees. All said and done I will always love it and look forward to playing there again.

Where did they sell away land, I'm guessing back there around 11, 12, and 13? I had a blast playing it the day I did, the course was in great condition and very windy.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:55:31 AM »
Found the game as a caddie, imagine that. Sounds like an interesting man and a differencemaker as well.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »
Fortunate to  play there yesterday. Intimate and in an urban setting. Train whistles and traffic didn't distract but rather accentuated the golf. My favorite sequence was 2-5. With the fourth being the standout. An awesome green well guarded by some serious mounding ala the eight at AUgusta.

I'd be curious to the extent of Ron Forse's circa 2004 Renovation besides the sand capping?

The course was fun and perfect for those who appreciate sub 7000 yd courses.

The head pro/gm David Marchand was as informative as he was gracious. He's only been there 6 years, so Forse's work wasn't discussed in detail. He did mention that the sand capping was the cause of the OSS of some old oaks. Turns out, those roots Ned to be somewhat exposed for a healthy plant.

Does anyone have any more detail on the 2004 work?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Thurman

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 01:07:14 PM »
Adam, I was able to play Metairie earlier this year in January. I loved the place. It's an excellent club and a very fun golf course. The template holes really kept things interesting in spite of the fact that it's almost without question the worst property I've ever seen.

It's well worth a trip for any GCA'er with some free time in the New Orleans area. With the discussion on here the last couple days about how Pete Dye is so often able to create "something from nothing," it's hard not to think about courses like Metairie and the influence he took from Raynor. It's really an unexpected treat.

I agree with you about the fourth hole, though I probably preferred the closing stretch. It's hard to pick though. There really isn't a weak hole on the course.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

JNagle

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 02:17:50 PM »
The work done at Metairie was nothing short of a complete rebuilding of the entire golf course.  The routing remained intact but everything from tee to green was rebuilt.  The course was known to be a Raynor course with a very heavy involvement of Bartholomew.  He spent a number of months with Raynor on Long Island studying and creating clay models of the holes to be built.  It was determined through some rough documentation and an old aerial photo that holes were taken from many courses on the Island.  Interestingly, the course had/has two "Road" holes (9th and 13th).  It has been said that the Bartholomew family is still in possession of the clay models but because of Joe not being allowed to play the course, they will not share the models.  Some of the holes were restored/renovated to what the photo revealed or if a newspaper article indicated which hole a Metairie hole was pattered after.  Other holes were left to us for the redesign.  The course opened 5-6 months prior to Katrina.  During Katrina the course was under 7-9 feet of water.  Absolute devastation (goes without saying).  The past pro Greg Core and current Superintendent Andy Alexander immediately went into action in an attempt to save the greens.  Did what they felt they had to do.  The course did come back and is healing in nicely. 

Longtime Pro/Members the Haas family spent many years making modifications to the course.  The course had been neutered and made to play very flat.  The biggest change during the restoration may have been the elevating of the greens.  Some as much as 8 feet.  The raising of the greens really did save the place during Katrina and very few were under sustained water.

The sand capping was spread out beyond the proposed area by the past Superintendent which had a negative effect on the trees.  It was not only the sand but also the addition of chemicals to sterilize the sand prior to sprigging that killed many of the old Oaks.  Since the trees have died, we have been back to develop a planting program for the course in addition to the development of "natural" areas.  The course had to change out their greenside bunker sand but wanted to save money on hauling the material off-site.  We worked with the club showing them photos of the 17th at The National and the use of sand mounds as well as the then recent changes to Pinehurst.  The club decided to use the old sand for natural waste/grass areas.  These areas seem to be doing well.

The course is tight with many parallel holes but when playing it does not feel as tight as one might think.  Holes 2 and 8 and 4 and 5 see a lot of cross play. 

We have always enjoyed betting back to Metairie and should be back in 2014 for some consulting. 

Metairie Post Katrina

Metairie - 1998

Metairie - 2012

Metairie - 1949

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

George_Bahto

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »
Bartholemew was a most interesting man and imdomhave him covered with his involvement with Seth Raynor.

For some time I thought he may have become a protege of Raynor's when he returned to LA, his home. He built a lot of courses there but did not fully use the Macdonald / Raynor "famous-hole concept" enuf to be considered a protege.   The Ralph Barton / Raynor story is similar, but Barton, used the concept much more.

I understand there is a statue  of Joe down there.in New Orleans.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back