News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Feeney

Re: The Open
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
Tirico, Rankin, McDonough, & North are professional, prepared, & add value to the broadcast -- others just looking to cash their check.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »
Mac - I like the broader concept of a 'good shot', which at the Open is not just about the (apparent) results.  You can always tell a well struck shot, even when the result doesn't appear to be all that good. 

Peter

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 03:09:56 PM »
Mac - I like the broader concept of a 'good shot', which at the Open is not just about the (apparent) results.  You can always tell a well struck shot, even when the result doesn't appear to be all that good. 

Peter

Yes and satisfyingly the galleries have a keen eye for quality shots.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »
Speaking of the galleries- do they seem a bit on the sparse side? It seemed like during a lot of the telecast the grandstands were pretty empty...that is until Tiger got close.  It seemed they weren't really that deep lining the holes either. Maybe it was too warm and they were under cover?   8)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 05:00:22 PM »
My eldest son carried the scoreboard for Siem, Rumford and DA Points today.  It's fair to say Points has acquired a fan.  Friendly and chatty all the way round, despite a disappointing score.  I know DA Points is known to someone on here.  If that person is reading this, please thank him for the example he set.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

William_G

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »
I think what I most enjoy is that as Geoff Ogilvie has said that you must prepare for the Open by playing links style golf...it can not be won by preparing on the range.

Second to that, I appreciate the spectators understanding of the game and their appreciation of what is required of each shot.

Thirdly and maybe most importantly is that each day the shots bounce and role to each hole and additionally are different due to the wind, ground, temp, etc... (this why what Ogilvie said is so important)

I'll never forget Watson's fairway approach shot on 18 where it bounced thru the green after landing at the front, and his comment later was that he was thinking 9 yet hit an 8.... :'(+

love it
It's all about the golf!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »
Speaking of the galleries- do they seem a bit on the sparse side? It seemed like during a lot of the telecast the grandstands were pretty empty...that is until Tiger got close.  It seemed they weren't really that deep lining the holes either. Maybe it was too warm and they were under cover?   8)

There was a pretty good joke about shipping a boatload of aloe Vera to Scotland for the anticipated sunburn!

Maybe the only funny thing Mike Tirico ever said....

Mark Woodger

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »
if you go to espn3 you can get the international feed of non US commentators and avoid some of the cr*p those guys spout. the international feed isnt perfect but you avoid rick reilly and lots of commercials.

William_G

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 08:06:18 PM »

There was a pretty good joke about shipping a boatload of aloe Vera to Scotland for the anticipated sunburn!

Maybe the only funny thing Mike Tirico ever said....

hahahaha, that was funny
It's all about the golf!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »

Peter

Yes and satisfyingly the galleries have a keen eye for quality shots.

And that's even without the benefit of that shot tracker, the one bit of golf related technology I love unreservedly!! 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
It's always the best tv golf week of the year for me. The Masters gets us out of our winter's discontent. Then the US Open reminds us superhumans can fail too. And the Open rolls along with all matters unpredictable on awesome landscape where score seems less relevant. Followed, of course, by the irrelevant: the PGA. This is the best.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
I like when guys look away too early, before the ball has settled and the camera sweeps back to the player after a few steps and he is on tippy toes looking for his ball - no putter pulled yet.  

I like when guys hitting correctly shaped 3 woods and hybrids out-drive guys hitting high drives.

I like it when guys come up 5 feet short on 20 foot putts.  

I like it when guys make great recoveries from the hay.  

I like it when bunkers are not the place to miss.  

I like it when balls run on the ground longer than they fly in the air.

I like it that a good shot from the middle of the fairway can be 40 feet from the flag.

I like it when guys putt and chip into bunkers beyond the green.  

I like not knowing the outcome of each and every hole until the card is marked.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

William_G

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 11:33:27 PM »

Peter
+1
It's all about the golf!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 08:15:14 AM »
Round 2 hole locations:

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 08:17:23 AM »

Sean,

Good list, and just some of the reasons I love this tournament

I like when guys look away too early, before the ball has settled and the camera sweeps back to the player after a few steps and he is on tippy toes looking for his ball - no putter pulled yet.  

I like when guys hitting correctly shaped 3 woods and hybrids out-drive guys hitting high drives.

I like it when guys come up 5 feet short on 20 foot putts.  

I like it when guys make great recoveries from the hay.  

I like it when bunkers are not the place to miss.  

I like it when balls run on the ground longer than they fly in the air.

I like it that a good shot from the middle of the fairway can be 40 feet from the flag.

I like it when guys putt and chip into bunkers beyond the green.  

I like not knowing the outcome of each and every hole until the card is marked.

Ciao

David_Tepper

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »
At the moment, the leaderboard is very impressive. There are 9 winners of one or more majors in the top 20.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »
Is it just me, or does anybody else think the Scots are applauding poor shots/results more than in the past?

William_G

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »
Dan,

Interesting hole locations...only 2 front hole locations....must not be many false fronts at Muirfield..
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back