News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: Your Personal Course
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 11:29:56 PM »
I think it's funny how many of us have thought this through.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 11:42:38 PM »
Good year round climate since I can only play the one course. Sandy soil so it can play firm and fast. Reversible wih different playing characteristics, links-style one way, classic the other. I'd let Tommy Naccarato route it, but it needs a naturalish cart path running down the middle for my decrepitocity.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 11:46:48 PM »
Good year round climate since I can only play the one course. Sandy soil so it can play firm and fast. Reversible wih different playing characteristics, links-style one way, classic the other. I'd let Tommy Naccarato route it, but it needs a naturalish cart path running down the middle for my decrepitocity.

If you let Tommy route it I guess the grill will be an In-n-Out.

Neil White

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 12:09:55 PM »
All,

When living in Mansfield I used to take the family to Sherwood Forest, not the course but the actual forest (what's left of it) to check out the Major Oak of Robin Hood folklore.  On one occasion we took a detour away from the tourist route and came across this amazing parcel of land.

430 acres of gently sloping heathland interspersed with indigenous deciduous / pine stands called Budby Forest, although it's predominantly heathland now.

If someone had the funds they could probably wrench it from the MOD who use / used it for training as well as it being used for grazing.

Neil

Gary Slatter

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 02:32:55 PM »
Fortunately, it's already there, I could play the OLD COURSE forever.  However, I'd hire Rod Whittman to come over and renovate the New and Julbilee, Ian Andrew to renovate the Castle, and Jeff Mingay to do all the bunkers.   I'd lobby the locals to get the Old open on Sundays, and use that revenue to lower the price of Bellhaven Best.

Gary,

Why do we need Rod and Ian involved ;D
Jeff, just so I could to know Ian and Rod better, and Dick, I also toured that dunes area in Picton and thought it make a great golf course site.  Sine Melvyn has pointed out the follow of my original personal course site, I'll change to joining you in Ontario, although we'll need a base for the other 6 months.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 05:25:18 AM »
I would go in search of a fine heathland track of land without too much elevation change, clear all but the odd proper specimen trees then have M Nuzzo design a course. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »
I would obtain some land here in the greater Spokane area that was apart of the ancient glacial flooding zone....as its very rolling and undulating.

I would then try to come up with a routing, which would probably end up bad.  So then I'd hire a GCA.com approved gun-for-hire to build 18 of the wildest and quirkiest holes they can think of.  As it would be a privately owned course, the only limit to the routing/hole configuration would be their imagination.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »
Proximity to great tobacco and pleasant women.

Architect: Additional research needed.
Gotta find out which ones enjoy fine cigars.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 01:46:17 PM »
Ah yes,  part of the what will I do with my lottery winnings dream..

It would be 9 holes right here in Oklahoma, using only native turfgrasses (which means bermuda and buffalo grass)  and designed by Mike Nuzzo.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »
Suspension of disbelief....

I would have purchased Erin Hills from Bob Lang in October 2009. 

Then, I'd hire Doak to build his initial design for the site.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39001.0.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jim Nugent

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »
The 2nd Doak course at Cape Kidnappers looked real cool.  I'd probably put my money there. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »

It would be 9 holes right here in Oklahoma, using only native turfgrasses (which means bermuda and buffalo grass)  and designed by Mike Nuzzo.

Where in Oklahoma?

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 06:36:02 PM »

Where in Oklahoma?

I don't have an exact location but as  Floyd Farley said... "The secret is the rivers. You can find a lot of nice land if you follow the rivers. The Cimarron would be ideal."   He was talking about the rolling dunes and sandbottoms of the Cimarron watershed, which traverses the state from west to east, including just north of the OKC/Tulsa corridor and compares it to similar topography found in Kansas.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »

Where in Oklahoma?

I don't have an exact location but as  Floyd Farley said... "The secret is the rivers. You can find a lot of nice land if you follow the rivers. The Cimarron would be ideal."   He was talking about the rolling dunes and sandbottoms of the Cimarron watershed, which traverses the state from west to east, including just north of the OKC/Tulsa corridor and compares it to similar topography found in Kansas.

That is a very pretty part of the country but most people think it's a wasteland. In regards to Floyd Farley do you know if he had a son or grandson who was a Titleist rep out of Ada?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »
Monarch Dunes is just east of CA Hwy 1. There is significant sandy property west of 1 there, and east of the Oceano Dunes State Recreation Area. I would hire Gil based on Rustic and Castle Stuart with Geoff advising so that Lynn could get over the heartbreak of Monarch Dunes failing to come through with a truly great links in central CA.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »
Sam,

According to Mr. Farley's obit, he was survived by a daughter, 2 grandsons and 5 great grandchildren. Could be he had a son who passed before him, he was 98 after all.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 04:08:50 AM »
Neil that is a lovely looking piece of heathland.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 04:20:45 AM »
This linksland at Embo, between Dornoch and Golspie.

Full-size link: http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8117/p5170464.jpg

Neil White

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 05:00:24 AM »
Neil that is a lovely looking piece of heathland.

Mark,

It sure is - my belief that it was owned by the MoD was incorrect as it actually belongs to the Thoresby Estate who part manage it alongside the MoD.

Chances of it becoming anything other than a cracking piece of land are slim as it became part of a National Nature Reserve in 2007 managed by English Nature - with it being the largest area of dry lowland heath in Nottinghamshire.

The heathland is important for a range of characteristic breeding birds such as the tree pipit and woodlark and also has a rich invertebrate fauna.

I can just see a design interwoven within the areas of natural importance - an opportunity for golf and nature to coexist.

Neil.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 05:08:43 AM »
Neil - Sustainable golf is actually very good for such land as the wildlife gets a pretty good run of the place. The MOD tend to be pretty good landowners/tenants, the relationship between Hankley Common GC the landowner and the MOD appears to be good.
Cave Nil Vino

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »
This linksland at Embo, between Dornoch and Golspie.

Full-size link: http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8117/p5170464.jpg

Glorious parcel of land Scott. If ever the marketin phrase "God intended for a golf course here"...
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Anthony Gray

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 07:53:46 AM »

I'm going for land on the coast of the Andaman Sea. I'm the architect because I like quirk and lots of it. Not sure of the name of the place but I can promise you it will be misspelled.

Anthony

Jim Franklin

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 09:10:30 AM »
I buy Rock Creek Cattle Company and have a wonderful golf life from then on.
Mr Hurricane

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 10:26:36 PM »
Cliffs of Asturias, near Gijon, in Spain. Franco, paranoid fack that he was, preserved a ton of coast land in northern Spain. All of it is spectacular and unspoiled (until I get my hands on it.)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 10:51:37 PM »
I'd build 18 holes, but I'd have 9 in the south and 9 in the north.

In the south I'd build out on sandy and windswept Matagorda Island on the central coast of TX.

In the North I'd build on the Mission peninsula in the Traverse City area.

Both 9 holers would be compact with shared fwys and a few double greens.

In addition to being reversible, I think multiple routings would be cool as well. I'd like my 9 hole courses to have at least 4-5 different loops. With some clever design and the right land I think it could be done.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:53:10 PM by Don_Mahaffey »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back