News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Trenham

Re: 2012 An old topic for a new day
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 07:30:27 AM »
Bellmulett and Carne Golf Links -a real club in a town with an adequate number of American visitors.

St Andrews for the summers and Kiawah or Colleton River in the off season if / when I reach my investing goals.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 09:59:06 AM »
Edinburgh or Glasgow. City living with numerous quality links courses to be played all year round within easy travel distance. All I need is enough dosh to jack in work and golf full time.

Niall

Adam Clayman

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 10:30:14 AM »
The Sand Hills of Nebraska.  Cheap to live and play.  Good people.

I may move in with Adam and Pablo.

Chris, We've got lots of room. So much, the house could become a great B&B.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Szabo

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
Simple pleasures of the Sand Hills of Nebraska.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Bill Gayne

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 11:21:59 AM »
St. Andrews if it was a year round deal. If I could do a split year it would probably be the West Coast of Ireland and maybe Sea Island or Florida.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 11:24:37 AM »
St Andrews on a herring-lashed winter's day is no place for the aspiring year-round golfer.
Cal, Oz, the Med - now we're talking...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »
One thing that is coming through in this light discussion is the desire to be in a place that values golf as a game and lifestyle in the community as well as great architecture.

Jim Tang

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »
I would go with Bandon.  Great variety in the courses there and I suspect that place will only get better with time.

Eric Smith

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 11:58:51 AM »
The Sand Hills of Nebraska.  Cheap to live and play.  Good people.

I may move in with Adam and Pablo.

Chris, We've got lots of room. So much, the house could become a great B&B.

The Ogallalaian. Sit on the porch and shuck corn with the proprietor. AAA discount?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »
I can't believe no one has mentioned Aberdeen! You can play that second tier course Royal Aberdeen while waiting for the windmill project to be squashed and the world's greatest course to open. Besides, Anthony tells me that Cruden Bay is nearby.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JC Urbina

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2012, 12:07:47 PM »
Tiger,

It also shows you how select this group of posters are.  Poll the rest of the 20 million golfers in the U.S and the numbers would read very different.

Maybe something like this.

Palm Springs
Arizona
Florida
Hawaii
Myrtle Beach

But since I am more like you then the mentioned above, I would choose Sun Rise at NGLA and Sunset in Monterey.

Michael George

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »
I first have to set my criteria:

1.  Good weather - I am sick of getting spring fever Jan-April.  Need a place with close to year round golf.  Plus, need a place where it does not get unreasonably hot and muggy in the summer.  Sorry UK and Ireland - I love everything about your countries, but as I age am looking for a warmer climate.  Same for Arizona.  Too hot in summers.

2.  Nice people - It is very important to me that I am around nice, down to earth people.  Anyone that calls the midwest "fly over country" is someone I don't want to spend my days with.  While I know some very nice people from the Hamptons, the few asses, plus the cost, rule it out.  

3.  Diverse golf - need various and diverse golf courses.  

4.  Amenities - While I love destination golf and nothing is better than a remote location for a golf trip - I need convenient amenities like grocery stores, restaurants, pubs, local sports teams, outdoor activities and most importantly, good hospitals.  This is my concern for Nebraska and Bandon.

5.  Affordable - Not paying $500 a round every day at Pebble.  Sorry Monterey.  However, I don't want to die dead broke.

Based on these criteria, I think Pinehurst has to be pretty high on the list.  
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

John Kirk

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »
I like where I am, near Portland, where I can play Pumpkin Ridge regularly, with a pretty easy drive down to Bandon for special occasions.

Playing golf every day is not my goal.  I'll be a 2-3 times per week player if possible.

If I had a second option, it would be to move back near my hometown Palo Alto, and inquire about membership at Stanford or Pasatiempo.  I understand the people there.  The weather is very nice, and San Francisco offers world-class cultural events.  But it's so expensive to live there, and I have grown to love country living.

I can't imagine any locations outside California and Oregon.  Santa Barbara is nice, but the best club in town would be difficult to join.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »
The same goes for working as an architect ....

A piece of linksland in a place like Scotland or Ireland would be the first choice
a true sandy site would be next, thinking of Melbourne or Long Island
Monterey Penninsula would come after that (so much history and great architecture to inspire)

Intrestingly my golf selections follow the same pattern ...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back