News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Machrihanish Dunes video
« on: January 28, 2012, 08:17:34 PM »
Forgive me if this has been posted before, but I thought it was a cool You Tube video.

Are both courses worth the trip? If I add a 3rd round, which should I play twice, Machrihanish Dunes or Golf Club?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnU4Pw4alyQ

Kris Shreiner

Re: Machrihanish Dunes video
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 09:34:13 PM »
Bill,

They are both WELL WORTH the trip! Add in the devilish romp that is the Dunaverty Links and you have an awesome few days of golf.
Be aware that MD is a raw, wild presentation that is still evolving. It is a stiff, but very natural test and one gets a close approximation of what early links golf might have been like. The pub and cottages are first rate and the other work on the hotels is nearly done from what I've heard recently. The Mull of Kintyre is surely one of the planet's special places and has a haunting serenity about the countryside that's hard to describe.
That Dunaverty, with its bushel of par threes(7-9?), is a gas! One and 18 are weak efforts, but the rest on the track has some sporty holes and several stunners. Plan it pal...and enjoy! IM me if you want more info.

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »
Thanks for that response Kris! You have me psyched!  My wife and I have old college friends who live far away, so we are planning a trip together. They want Ireland, I want Scotland. So I am proposing a compromise: Fly to Belfast, stay in Ballycastle, play Portrush & Portsewart, then take the ferry across.  I'll pm you for housing suggestions at Machrihanish if I get them interested!

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »
Bill -

You should consider stopping on Islay to play Machrie as well.

DT

Michael Watts

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:32:47 PM »
Both courses are great.  The drive is beautiful.  Suggest driving both the east and west side -- one coming, and one going.  The east side takes a little longer but is well worth it.  Should play your first round though at the old course.  That first tee shot is a nice way to start your Mull of Kintyre golf experience.  Have a dram of Springbank for me.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:09:55 AM »
Bill,

It's a great combo and an interesting contrast in courses. Understated classic and rugged modern. I only had one round each and I'm not sure which one I would have chosen for a 3rd. I wish we had had more time there! Whether you drive from Glasgow or catch the ferry from N. Ireland it's definitely worth the trip.

The new cottages are terrific and very convenient but if you're looking for something more old-world the below is a nice B & B that's only a couple of miles from either course,  between Machrihanish and Campbeltown.

www.oatfield.org

Please take bunches of photos of MD  :D..it's been over 2 years since I was there and I'm really struggling to remember many of the holes. And outside of what's in their website galleries I haven't seen any other pics.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back