News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Which top 5 is better?
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Treating the island of Ireland as one entity, I would agree with Sean A. that you will find the collection of the 5 best courses there, although I would disagree with his choice of which are in that group.

In no particular order, I would suggest County Down, Portrush, Ballybunion, Lahinch and Portmarnock.

David

I can understand the other four, but I have long wondered what makes Portmarnock one of the top 5.  It is an excellent course, but to me, not very distinguished.  If I had to compare it to another course, it would be Princes. 

Maybe its time that those in the know had a conversation about Portmarnock.  The course isn't talked about that much on here and maybe it should be.

Ciao

Ready and willing Sean...

Incidentally, if Richard Phinney is still looking in, I believe his description of the course (in Links of Heaven) to be the best in print bar none... He captures its allure perfectly in his opening and closing paragraphs...

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »
I'm going to "cheat" a little

Ireland / N-Ireland
Royal County Down
Royal Portrush
Ballybunion
Lahinch
Portmarnock

Scotland
St. Andrews
Muirfield
Royal Dornoch
North Berwick
Carnoustie

England/Wales
Royal St. George's
Sunningdale (Old)
Swinley Forest
Sunningdale (New)
St. George's Hill

I'll say Scotland comes out on Top for me.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 03:41:46 AM »
England/Wales
Royal St. George's
Sunningdale (Old)
Swinley Forest
Sunningdale (New)
St. George's Hill
One of the oddest "Top 5"s I've ever seen.  Only one links course.  No Ganton or Woodhall Spa.  Swinley but not Rye.  St George's Hill but no Walton Heath.  Nowhere north or west of Surrey.  A top 5 of an overseas visitor who always flies to Gatwick, I think ;)
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 11:31:15 PM »
Mark

I dont mind being a bit of a black sheep ;)

The Top3 for mine are the standout English courses. I then I have Sunningdale (New), St. George's Hill, Woodhall Spa, Royal Birkdale, Ganton a step below them.

I think - in general - English links courses are overrated when compared to others from Scotland and Ireland. The heathbelt courses I mentioned are a joy to play and I'd plum for them over Walton Heath any day of the week.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back