News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Golf Pros and hair gel
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
I was at the PGA show today and my daughter asked me why so many of the guys had on so much hair gel.  I've always made fun of that subject but in reality there is a disproportionate number of young golf pros that really do the hair gel and mousse thing.  Why?  Is it the wind or just the coolness factor...but it does exist. ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Matthew Sander

Re: Golf Pros and hair gel
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »
Mike,

I think this topic should be discussed in depth at next month's Chicago GCA dinner! Come equipped with slides and notes...

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
Because that's what all the Pros in the Footjoy catalog look like!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:55:28 PM »
Isn't golf a 'windy' sport that pros like to keep their image rather than look like a bunch of Einstein like mad professor hairstyles! ;D hence the use of Brylcreem!!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
As far as I can tell, there's neither an Official Hair Gel nor an Official Hair Mousse of the PGA Tour: http://www.pgatour.com/company/partners.html.

Talk about your missed opportunities!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »
I'm too young for Medicare, and too old for women to care, but I am a big believer in good hair "product", whether it be gel, mousse, cream or even a splash or three of Vitalis at the club.  This comes from decades of looking at photos of my puffy mane in the years before good product was available.  If you don't need product, you aren't worth looking at! ;D
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:12:24 PM »
Terry:

Some of us adhere to the minimalist theory of "hair design."
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 05:14:26 PM »
"There are no such thing as bad kids. Just kids with bad haircuts" -Sam Malone

As any fyi - I keep my hair so well behaved because the Fiber gives the hold without the goo.   ;D
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
I use this as I've grown my hair out recently.

Its not ideal, but is a helluva lot better than putting the greasy/nasty/goopy gericurl in my hair.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »
Terry:

Some of us adhere to the minimalist theory of "hair design."

To those whom much is given...

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »
I stick with the minimalist, natural and sustainable look.

And instead of a comb or brush, I just use a nice, old-fashioned, sturdy wooden rake.

JLahrman

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 05:31:19 PM »
Instead of "goop", try a little dab of olive oil. Works great.

I'd like to say I'm a minimalist, but you just don't look as good as I do by accident.

SL_Solow

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
There are those of us who are gravitating to Turtle Wax.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 05:48:26 PM »
I'd like to say I'm a minimalist, but you just don't look as good as I do by accident.

The line of the year (so far). Sam Malone never said it better.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »

:)

I have been known to partake when my hair gets unruly. My hair doesn't so much grow long as grows out. I suspect that is what your daughter is seeing, Mike - most of us who are no longer teenagers don't get the Rickie Fowler look.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 07:27:09 PM »
Just about lost my lunch envisioning your comb over.

I use this as I've grown my hair out recently.

Its not ideal, but is a helluva lot better than putting the greasy/nasty/goopy gericurl in my hair.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 07:43:23 PM »
 8).. why?

easier to grease the driver face  ::)
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »
It's a way to identify each other much like old testament circumcism.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:52:24 PM by Anthony Gray »

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 10:14:09 PM »
Check out Jimmy Demaret's "do" at the 1947 Masters. He had it piled high.

http://www.majorschampionships.com/masters/2007/news/eastermasterswinners040807.html

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 10:30:08 PM »
Mike I never dreamed you would worry about mens hair. It does seem the younger set are more gel like that we are. I really think it is what they think they need to do to look the way the girls want them too. Or the reason we do most silly things. Of course one of the gel set on here can confirm why they take a few minutes to look a bit dumber than they would if they just combed it and moved on into the day.

John_Conley

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »
There's gel, and then there's Gorilla Snot.

My hair frizzes if I don't put something in it.

Benny Hillard

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 05:33:43 AM »
Mike I never dreamed you would worry about mens hair. It does seem the younger set are more gel like that we are. I really think it is what they think they need to do to look the way the girls want them too. Or the reason we do most silly things. Of course one of the gel set on here can confirm why they take a few minutes to look a bit dumber than they would if they just combed it and moved on into the day.

hahaha

I would be one of those guys who takes time to look a bit dumber when I step out on to the course. But I have been doing my hair with gel since I was 12, So it's kind of the norm now.

Although I must admit to being a massive fan of Chris Wood's air blown afro thing he was rocking circa 2009 turnberry open.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 07:55:41 AM »

Sam Morrow is an authority on this subject. There is a link that all golf pros have to each other. Much like a secret club or society. Many are too scared to get matching tatoos so the hair thing works out well. I have seen pros do this secret handshake thing similar to what the dominicans do in the dugout after a home run. Eric Smith and Sam are real good at it.

Anthony

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 11:36:13 AM »
Someone should tell Tommy Armour III about this new invention called hair gel.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »

Sam Morrow is an authority on this subject. There is a link that all golf pros have to each other. Much like a secret club or society. Many are too scared to get matching tatoos so the hair thing works out well. I have seen pros do this secret handshake thing similar to what the dominicans do in the dugout after a home run. Eric Smith and Sam are real good at it.

Anthony

Thanks but I shave my head. My girlfriend says I have perfectly shaped head, it's a burden but I get by.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back