News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Burnes

Is Trenton Country Club the oldest club..?
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:54:51 PM »
All-

I've been doing some research on my club (with the help of some of my friends here).  Based on the fact that TCC was founded in 1897, is it is the oldest golf club in the Delaware Valley in the same location as its founding?  What clubs are older?  Philly is 1890 but not at its original location anymore.  Merion is 1896 but same thing.  Curious.

Joe Bausch

Re: Is Trenton Country Club the oldest club..?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Since Philly Cricket still has the St. Martins course open, I think it has Trenton beat by a couple of years.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Burnes

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:07:33 PM »
Good point Joe, maybe I should say, "and is currently 18 holes."

D_Malley

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:32:41 PM »
I believe Springhaven is the oldest 18 hole golf course in the philly area, on the PA side of the river.  i think they moved to their present  location in 1902.  Many other courses in philly have dates on their logo prior to 02, but all of them relocated at some point.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:37:17 PM by D_Malley »

archie_struthers

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 11:00:09 PM »
 8) ??? 8)

How about the Atlantic City Country Club .   It's been there since before the turn of the century also !

Chris Roselle

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »
I believe Springhaven is the oldest 18 hole golf course in the philly area, on the PA side of the river.  i think they moved to their present  location in 1902.  Many other courses in philly have dates on their logo prior to 02, but all of them relocated at some point.

According to our records at the Golf Association, The Springhaven Club has been at it's current location since 1904.  Atlantic City CC was founded in 1897 but I am not sure if it has moved from it's original location.  And Bala GC was founded in 1900 as a nine holer but again I am not sure if it has moved since it's founding.

John Burnes

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »
All-

Thanks for the replies-

D_Malley is correct, Springhaven is not at its original location (one of my stipulations).  Philly Cricket is older as a club, 1854, but is not older under my stipulations, current 18 holes.  Not sure about Atlantic City.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back