News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Re: The sixth hole at Riviera
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 02:15:02 PM »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Benham

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »
Quoting Lynn_Shackelford:

"Some good points here.  I was a member for 15 years, unfortunately about the last 10 years they started alternating play on the 6th hole with another funky green.  So I didn't get to play the hole as often as others on the course.  Ownership was more concerned about the condition of the green for the pros then how they treated the members.  There, that makes me feel better.

Kirk is right, the new tee in back is bad, all about trying to offset how far today's players hit it.  John Daly started hitting 9 irons from the original back tee and it headed downhill after that.

Interesting comment about not being able to go at the middle of the green, truly makes the hole unique.  Members don't chip on the green, the pros do.  I have seen Steve Pate and John Daly chip, that was fun.

Yes, you can putt from almost every spot to almost every other spot.  There was a great front middle hole placement at one time, but it has been mostly eliminated by a new contour there.

Ron Whitten wrote in the Riviera history book, which by the way is well authored, that even without the bunker the green and the hole would be great.  I think that is mostly true."

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:06:04 PM by Mike Benham »

Mike Benham

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 08:07:18 PM »
Quoting Lynn Shackelford:

I have seen Proctor and Axland's hole at Bayshore, haven't played it, but it looks good.  I know Dan spent a lot of time working on the front bunker at 6, and I am sure he soaked in all the nuances of the green.  Maybe I will send Benham some pictures if I can find them, and he will dutifully post them.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »
Love it.

Love unique.

Love donuts.

Love both unique and donuts, but not as a steady diet.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
Quoting Lynn Shackelford:

I have seen Proctor and Axland's hole at Bayshore, haven't played it, but it looks good.  I know Dan spent a lot of time working on the front bunker at 6, and I am sure he soaked in all the nuances of the green.  Maybe I will send Benham some pictures if I can find them, and he will dutifully post them.

I have played this hole about 20 times now and have never seen the pin in spots other than front left and front right.  We typically play it from about 120 or so, and love it from that distance.  I'm not sure if I would feel the same playing it from much longer though.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back