News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Pozaric

Courses with good caddie programs
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
What are some courses you have played that have had good caddie programs and for what reasons would you call them a good program?  Also on the flip side feel free to share any bad stories or experiences. 

Mac Plumart

Re: Courses with good caddie programs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »
I feel like East Lake's caddy program is amazing.

First off, the course is walking only with caddies.

Secondly, the rejuvenation of the poverty stricken neighborhood with the golf course as one of the centerpieces created job opportunities for the youth within the neighborhood.

Thirdly, there are scholarship programs available to caddies to help them with college education, specifically the Charles Harrision Scholar program.  Great man, great scholarship.

And I've seen first hand these caddies rise through the ranks of neighborhood kid, caddy, golf club management staff...pretty amazing!  And I've also seen these kids uses their college education and East Lake golfer network to land some pretty nice jobs outside of the club.

Oh yeah, and there are some good caddies there as well that can save you a stroke (or five) if you listen to them.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »
Chicago.

Where i caddied and started my love for GCA.  Caddies or forecaddies are nearly mandatory when available.   The list of top golfers including who have caddied there include several CEOs not to mentioned PGA tour players.

Similar to East Lake, Detroit Golf Club, is a great exampleof bringing golf to an inner city area.

Doug Wright

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
Ballyneal. I hope it survives so the locals can work there.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Paul Carey

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:32:39 PM »
Old Memorial in Tampa.  The caddies carry single bags and are required for every player and the caddies are great.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
I belong to two clubs with caddies. One has a completely average program with a handful of excellent caddies. The other is Saucon Valley and the caddies are almost always superb. Here is are the little things they do that really make a difference:

1) The caddies "work ahead" and are usually at the ball before the player. I hate waiting for a club unless the caddy really had a problem with the other shoulder.

2) They are ready with the distance, usually giving me the number to the front and to the pin. I love that!

3) They will temporarily swap bags with the other caddy when two players are left and two are right

4) At the green, they meet me at my ball with a wet towel extended. I don't have to chase them to ask for a wipe.

5) They read greens when I ask and keep quiet when I don't.

In summary, they are "into it" and they hustle.

Stephen Britton

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 07:58:24 PM »
Old Memorial....Aside from overall good caddying the stats they keep on your card are impressive...
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Steve Lapper

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »
Old Memorial....Aside from overall good caddying the stats they keep on your card are impressive...

Having just played there this week, I'd wholeheartedly agree. They are far beyond competent and add much to the experience. Single bag loops make for a greater connection and better service and that what these guys deliver.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Will Peterson

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
All of my awful caddie experiences are at courses that use an outside company to hire, train, and run the caddie program.  The two worst were TPC Sawgrass and Erin Hills.  They seem to run off a script, and the caddies I've had don't seem to know what they are doing (one got us lost on the course and made us walk an extra 500 yards between two holes).  I have also found that courses that use caddie companies charge much larger fees.  There seems to be a fee for the loop (which I imagine goes to the company) and then a large suggested gratuity.  After one terrible experience, I was told that if I didn't give the caddie the entire suggested gratuity, I would have to meet with management to explain myself. 

My good caddie experiences have come from clubs that seem to do it themselves, and I have found clubs involved with Evans Scholars have been great.  Some of the best I've had were at Milwaukee CC, Blue Mound CC, and Flossmoor.

I also had good experiences at St. Andrews, Carnoustie, and Royal Cinque Ports.

My most memorable caddie experience was at Pinehurst.  It was the first time I had a caddie, and he was amazing.  He'd been at the course for nearly 40 years, and had tons of great stories in addition to knowing every bump on the course.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 10:59:49 PM »
My last time at Ballyneal I had a caddie who is an Evans Scholar - great kid and a lot of fun when I borrowed a set of hickories.  He told me that the scholarship got him free tuition and room so he worked 5 days a week in the kitchen at a sorority house for free meals - he admitted to me that he is now dating one of the sorority sisters.

I understand that an outside firm operates the caddy program at Augusta National and I have to believe that the caddies are top notch.

Ash Towe

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 03:46:42 AM »
From my one visit to Chicago I believe Beverley runs an excellent program as does Olympia Fields.  Those more familiar with these clubs can provide more information in support or otherwise.

RDecker

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »
The program they run at Sankaty Head on Nantucket is very cool.  There was a nice article about it in Golf World in the fall last year.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 08:15:37 AM »
Canterbury Golf Club.  We have a wonderful caddy program at Canterbury.  By in large, the members embrace it and our caddiemaster, Mike Kiely, is a living legend.  He's been at the club for almost 50 years.  There are a handful of members that grew up as caddies for Kiely.

Kiely is definitely the biggest reason as to why our caddie program is successful, but you definitely need the members to embrace it as well.  If you have 10 great caddies sitting on the bench because nobody wants to take them, it won't be too long before those caddies go elsewhere to find a loop.
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »
Bandon.  Yes, there's some consternation that you don't always know if you're getting the same guy and whether or not he'll be doubling, but the caddies are almost to a man very good.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:22:55 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 08:34:40 AM »

Having just played there this week, I'd wholeheartedly agree. They are far beyond competent and add much to the experience. Single bag loops make for a greater connection and better service and that what these guys deliver.

Hah.  My first request at OM is to tell my caddy NOT to keep my stats.  I recognize that I'll only be hitting 6 fairways, I don't need a reminder!  It's also one of the few places I've been where members are bummed out if they only have a foursome.  Hawk is the preferred game there and the caddies love to get in the action for the back 9.   

Mark Johnson

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 08:44:54 AM »
After one terrible experience, I was told that if I didn't give the caddie the entire suggested gratuity, I would have to meet with management to explain myself. 

care to share which course this was?  remind me never to take a caddie there.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »
I belong to two clubs with caddies. One has a completely average program with a handful of excellent caddies. The other is Saucon Valley and the caddies are almost always superb. Here is are the little things they do that really make a difference:

1) The caddies "work ahead" and are usually at the ball before the player. I hate waiting for a club unless the caddy really had a problem with the other shoulder.

2) They are ready with the distance, usually giving me the number to the front and to the pin. I love that!

3) They will temporarily swap bags with the other caddy when two players are left and two are right

4) At the green, they meet me at my ball with a wet towel extended. I don't have to chase them to ask for a wipe.

5) They read greens when I ask and keep quiet when I don't.

In summary, they are "into it" and they hustle.

Sounds like caddies are usually caring double there, which makes the service even more impressive.   I have found that most of my issues which caddies usually involve doubles.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Good caddie programmes are great but what about when they start to affect membership numbers?

I know of a fine club with a good caddie programme, two mates would be interested in joining, the club is interested in new members, yet they do not want the additional $75 expense of a caddie everytime they play. Caddies can be great but are also a luxury item.
Cave Nil Vino

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »
For those that desire a caddie to be a single, would you be willing to pay a minimum of 50% more for the luxury?  Say it's $60 a bag the fee for a single would be a minimum of $90.

Tim Martin

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »
For those that desire a caddie to be a single, would you be willing to pay a minimum of 50% more for the luxury?  Say it's $60 a bag the fee for a single would be a minimum of $90.

Although we have done this dance many times before a good caddie can provide a quality experience with two bags just as a rotten caddy can wreck your day with one bag. Just sayin although I expect opposing viewpoints.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 09:58:32 AM »
For those that desire a caddie to be a single, would you be willing to pay a minimum of 50% more for the luxury?  Say it's $60 a bag the fee for a single would be a minimum of $90.

Cliff,

Tim has it bang on -- one bag or two, it's all about the quality of the caddie.

But, as a generality, I'd be willing to pay 50% more for a single bag.  I don't often take caddies, but when I do it's because I'm playing somewhere special.  If $30 is going to make for a better experience, then it's worth it.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »
I'll tell you one place where the caddies really tick me off: Pebble Beach!

First time I played there I show up with my lightweight single strap carry bag. When I came out of the pro shop, the caddy was transferring my clubs to another lightweight bag, so I asked "what are you doing?" And he says my bag is too heavy... Now I am really fussy about my bag and where I keep everything, so I asked him not to do it, but he said he had a bad back (with a smirk on his face... the guy was 5' 10" and built like a rock.) He got the minimum from me, something I NEVER do.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »
Posted on: Today at 11:05:14 AMPosted by: Bill Brightly 

I'll tell you one place where the caddies really tick me off: Pebble Beach!
First time I played there I show up with my lightweight single strap carry bag. When I came out of the pro shop, the caddy was transferring my clubs to another lightweight bag, so I asked "what are you doing?" And he says my bag is too heavy... Now I am really fussy about my bag and where I keep everything, so I asked him not to do it, but he said he had a bad back (with a smirk on his face... the guy was 5' 10" and built like a rock.) He got the minimum from me, something I NEVER do.

A well-known golf writer colleague of mine once told me something similar.  He said he has a lightweight bag with half-a-dozen balls, a few gloves, tees, etc, and the PB caddie insisted he switch to one of their bags.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 10:11:56 AM »
I carry a Mackenzie and got the same treatment.  then i got told which tees to play, and blew it over a bunker that should have been in play.  Really disliked it.  

I cannot stand people going through my bag.   If Al Czervik shos up, you tell him he's gotta switch.  BEFORE you touch his stuff.  Guy with one bag tag on a Mackenzie--you leave him alone.  

In fact, i'll say that these nationally run caddie programs are lousy.  I got a looper at pinehurst that would not shut up.  I got double charged at Doral.  

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 10:26:07 AM »
As to Cliff quote, carrying two or singles the cost at some clubs is getting just too high and in the long run will have a negative effect.  I believe that $50 to $60 per bag is fair, last year I had to pay $125 before tip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back