News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

"The greatest experience"
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:37:44 AM »
In another thread here, Bill McKinley wrote: "Many have said this: Augusta National may or may not be the greatest golf course in the world, but there's little doubt that it's the greatest experience."

Little doubt? Really? I'd love to hear others' views on that.

I have been to ANGC only as a spectator, for two practice rounds at the 2004 Masters. And I might be the only person alive who has thought this -- but the place, in its pristine perfectness, reminded me of nothing more than the set of "The Truman Show." I kept expecting a spotlight to fall on my head.

Can't imagine I'll ever play Augusta National. Can't imagine, equally, that if I did, the "experience" would exceed the experiences I've had at Sutton Bay, Sand Hills, The Old Course -- or the experiences others have reported from Dismal River, Ballyneal, Bandon and some other charmed golf spots around the world.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:40:09 AM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Kirk Gill

Re: "The greatest experience"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:49:23 AM »
It may be, Dan, that the experience there is heightened by having so many great memories of great players and what they did there. The point being that it's not the golf course, or the ambience of the course, or the grooming, etc., but the memories. I know for me that there was a strong component of that when I played TOC. Maybe the more great courses you play, the less this would be true.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »
Dan:

What I will say about "the Augusta experience" is that it is a perfectly controlled environment where everyone has essentially the same experience, by design.  They control when people get there and when they leave and every facet of how things are done, and they do it as well as it can be done.

But it is only "the greatest experience" if your idea of a great experience coincides with theirs.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »
Dan,

I said that because the only people that I know to have played it all said the same thing.  Now, "little doubt" may be a stretch, I agree.  But, those that I know who have played ANGC have all been to the tournament a number of times, then played the course and stayed on property.  That's the experience.  You see the course on tv and then in person and you can walk the grounds as a patron, but there are plenty of places you cannot go.  Then when you get to actually play the course, the experience is all the better.

My 2 best experiences playing golf were Merion and The Old Course.  I've played many other elite clubs/courses, not Augusta, but those two experiences stand out above the others.  They were both tremendous and I can't wait to have more and see what might top Merion or The Old Course.
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

ward peyronnin

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »
I heartily concurr with Mr. Doak. While I would be keen to experience Augusta I have said several tiles my favorite place on the planet is Yeamans Hall. Golf like Augusta maybe was 75 years ago. Similar statuesque Southern environment but much less contrived and comfortable and the Golf Course much more true to the original. But I love that feel and the isolation and the staff and the scale. But there are other places like Royal County Down that may qualify as well

But then I have never been to Disneyworld either
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Gary Slatter

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:19:46 AM »
I would have to say that spending the day at Muirfield, enjoying the first round, then `lunch`, then the second round, that was my greatest golfing experience.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Chris Johnston

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:26:15 AM »
Augusta is a wonderful experience.  One of my all time favorites.  Tom is correct, the experience is well planned.  There are so many "ghosts" there, and shots recalled, that you can't help but have a great time.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »
I would have to say that spending the day at Muirfield, enjoying the first round, then `lunch`, then the second round, that was my greatest golfing experience.
That.  Or drinks on the verandah, lunch overlooking the 16th green, a round and then drinks in the clubhouse at CPC.  Honestly difficult to choose, though I'm fortunate to do HCEG once or twice a year, so I'd go for CPC if pushed.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 11:59:15 AM »
Woody Allen is a nice writer and does a good job with this subject in his latest movie "Midnight in Paris".  

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »
Augusta is an event where everything is beautiful, the infrastructure functions perfectly and everyone is good-looking and well behaved.

Which is not something you run across everyday. If you did, I think it would soon drive you nuts. For me, a not insignificant part of Augusta's greatness is that I get to leave it at the end of the day.

Bob

Michael George

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »
I know that it is not my ideal experience.  I think the dream golf experience is the eastern Long Island tour.  A tour of any combination of Shinny, NGLA, Sebonack and Friar's Head, while hitting Garden City on the way out there.  I think this is the holy grail of golf trips for any golfer in the US.  In fact, I would play any of the group over Augusta - but that is just me.  

I likewise agree with John K that the sand hills tour (Ballyneal, Sand Hills and Dismal River Doak and Nicklaus) is preferred by me over Augusta.  

Bill - my experience talking to people that have played Augusta is that the average golfer that knows little about design and architecture think of Augusta as the holy grail.  My guess is that the majority of the people on this site don't have it on the top of their bucket list.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »

I likewise agree with John K that the sand hills tour (Ballyneal, Sand Hills and Dismal River Doak and Nicklaus) is preferred by me over Augusta.  

Not this John K.  I'd pay a years dues at Dismal for one trip to Augusta.  But then...spoiler alert...spoiler alert...Dismal is soooo damn affordable.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 12:49:28 PM »
Everything about Augusta is perfect except for one minor blemish, the docility of its members; it reminds me of a male version of the "Stepford Wives."

Bob

Terry Lavin

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 12:52:27 PM »
I haven't played Augusta yet, but I'm sure it will be a special experience.  How could it fail to be, with all of the memories in the vault about past Masters championships?  It's like playing Pebble, because there have been so many great championships played there.  Your mind is flooded with reminiscences of heroic shots and gagging by some of the best in the game.  Your brain is chock full of the photographs of these iconic courses that everybody can see on television.  But it's easy to play Pebble.  Pay the piper.  Augusta takes a lot of effort, some good connections and the experience (as has been related to me and as has been related here by Doak and Johnston) is the sort of choreographed event that would have to heighten the experience.

I've played a lot of great private clubs around the country and I've had several golf experiences that were over the top.  The first was playing LACC North by myself, the first person off that morning, the only guy on the course.  My caddie was a player and after a hole or two, he started playing as well and we got into a game.  Guess who lost?  Just an amazing experience.

I played a number of rounds with the Murray brothers, probably the most memorable at Prairie Dunes, which just might be my favorite place to play in America.  The old time feel of the place, the simple presentation of the golf course and the tremendous camaraderie of the welcoming members is really hard to top.  And two of the golf holes (#8 and #17) are among my favorite anywhere.

The next I'll mention was Cypress Point.  We had played Pebble, Bayonet and Spyglass in a three-day tournament and were able to play Cypress before heading back to Chicago.  I was quite simply blown away, but not just by the ocean holes, but even more so by the inland holes, It was nothing short of magic.

The best golf experience I've had was when I successfully bid on a foursome with a private jet to Sand Hills.  I took a Chicago friend and two guys from Golfweek and flew into North Platte and drove to Mullen.  It's been mentioned here, but the last 15 miles or so into Mullen is an out of the world experience, because it looks like there are dozens of golf courses on either side of the road and there aren't any.  Just natural blowout bunkers and perfect elevation changes.  Then you check in by the pro shop and the lodging, hard by the Dismal River (sounds like a Larry McMurtry novel) and take a cart 2/3 of a mile to the range, which looks like a real range, I was looking for cattle.  We played 27 holes and then we got whacked by a huge rolling thunderstorm.  We hung out in the dining room and had an absolute ball with the 60 or so guys who played that day.  Great members, great guests.  It rained about six inches and the course was playable the next morning!  I won't talk about the course, it's been the subject of plenty of chatter.  Suffice it to say that I thought it was the most beguiling, compelling and natural looking golf course I'd ever seen.  Still do.  It changed the way I look at golf courses.  That's a special experience, in my book.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 01:05:28 PM »

Terry,

Thank you for posting your panegyric of Sand Hills, it summed up what I think most of us here feel about that one special occasion that happens but rarely. The place has no artifice about it whatsoever.

Bob

Michael George

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
Maybe I am in the minority, but it does not rank in my top 10.  Listen, I am sure that it is a great expereince and I would run for a chance to stay and play there.  However, it is not on the top of my Mackenzie designs - I would rather play courses that remained true to Dr. Mackenzie's design, like Cypress Point and Crystal Downs.

John K - did not want to misrepresent your position, but now that you have said it, which routing is better Augusta or Dismal Doak?

Terry - I think your summary of the Sand Hills experience captures my point on Augusta.  That feeling of talking with members and guests during the rainstorm and the relaxed atmosphere is what I love about golf - I don't think Augusta would capture that feeling and thus is not at the top of my list.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:11:44 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »
Suffice it to say that I thought it was the most beguiling, compelling and natural looking golf course I'd ever seen.  Still do.  It changed the way I look at golf courses.  That's a special experience, in my book.

Exactly.

More than 15 years ago, now. Hard to believe. Seems like yesterday.

I'll never forget the first glimpses of emerald, on the road in.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »
Maybe I am in the minority, but it does not rank that high for me.  It is not even on the top of my Mackenzie designs - I would rather play courses that remained true to Dr. Mackenzie's design, like Cypress Point and Crystal Downs.

John K - did not want to misrepresent your position, but now that you have said it, which routing is better Augusta or Dismal Doak?

I'm not sure I could walk 36 at Augusta in a single day if not for the pure adrenaline rush of the experience.  The most tired I ever was golfing was the day I spectated at Augusta.  My nod goes to DD.

David Kelly

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »
One of the greatest golf experiences that I've had was playing The Old Course and then through the good graces of Mr. Huntley being able to tour the Royal & Ancient Clubhouse and have lunch overlooking the course.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »
That.  Or drinks on the verandah, lunch overlooking the 16th green, a round and then drinks in the clubhouse at CPC.  Honestly difficult to choose, though I'm fortunate to do HCEG once or twice a year, so I'd go for CPC if pushed.

I've played Cypress Point twice ans never got a whiff of drinks on the veranda.   Must be nice........ ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »
I guess I'm lucky. I think I will have many many many greatest experiences when all is said and done. I don't see the need for just one.

My siblings tease me about being the favorite child (of 4), but I know that I am at best 1st...and 4th.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 02:11:32 PM »

Augusta may be sterile but its still Augusta. The ultimate experience is TOC for the first time. The 20th time for that matter.

Anthony

Tim Leahy

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »
I have only been once to Augusta for the Wed par 3 and walked the course that day at least twice for the pro's practice rounds, but it was a top experience for me and it seemed like a trip to golf's vatican for me.
I doubt I will ever get to play Augusta but it would be No. 2 on my list right behind Cypress Pt..
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »
My best experience? 

Walking from The Duvegan to the starter's hut at The Old Course and sitting on a bench in the dark waiting for the starter to arrive.  Then getting a tee time assigned and returning to The Duvegan to have coffee with the caddies.  To top it off, walking down the street with my little Ping Moon Bag over my shoulder with a living history lesson minutes away.

Oh my.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Eric Smith

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 03:12:44 PM »
My best experience? 

Walking from The Duvegan to the starter's hut at The Old Course and sitting on a bench in the dark waiting for the starter to arrive.  Then getting a tee time assigned and returning to The Duvegan to have coffee with the caddies.  To top it off, walking down the street with my little Ping Moon Bag over my shoulder with a living history lesson minutes away.

Oh my.

Mike

Sounds about as good as good can get, Mike.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back