News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Stearns

Re: "The greatest experience"
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
Best experiences for me are those clubs where iam treated the same way the members are treated.  Some clubs, that means a few rules and a prescribed routine--which is gently and matter of factly explained.  Some clubs that means i get asked who iam playing with and thats it.

Worst experiences have been at those clubs where i sense a different standard for treatment of guests than there is for members.

Legendary examples are

"You can't park here (when i was just getting my bag out) we have members coming in."

"Who is your member"--and it wasnt a question---it was an admonishment to shut up and wait in the parking lot rather than go to the range.  At a city club (as distinguished from a place like Augusta, where the guests are coming from out of town) If iam good enough to get invited to the club, iam good enough to be allowed to use the facilities for ten minutes while my friend finishes a call. 

Quality of course, clubhouse, et. has zero to do with it for me.  Best experinces for me are largely tied to the people i play with .   tied to the fellowship. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »
Playing ANGC is a spectacular experience.

First and foremost, it's a spectacular golf course.

I don't understand how people who have never played the golf course can rate or evaluate the golf course.
That seems rather foolish to me.

It is extremely well conditioned, from a golfer's/player's perspective.
There are no swimming pools, tennis courts or day care centers.
GOLF is king.
Is ANGC more formal in its operations than TOC ?
Pebble ?

Remember, it's a private club

It's extremely well run, but, I'd differ a little with Tom Doak as I found the club flexible with respect to playing.
So much so that every time I expressed a desire to play another 18 holes after lunch I was told to come out and play whenever I was ready.  Is there structure/discipline ?  Sure, but you can't run a club/course that's so incredibly popular in a willy-nilly way or you'd have complete chaos.

Is Pine Valley very structured ?  Of course it is.  It has to be.  It's popularity dictates structure/discipline/order.

Imagine if 320 members and guests showed up, wanting to play at the same time on the same days.

So, you have to understand the nature of the club, whether it's PV, ANGC, PBCG or any other extremely popular golf course.

Caveat:

I like structure.  I like rules.  I like maintaining a dress code.  I like maintaining a pace of play.  I like the "history of golf".  I like reliving the history of golf.

How many of you don't long to play amen corner, to see how you'd fare, knowing how others have fared throughout the history of the Masters ?

How many of you want to see if you can get home in two on # 13 and # 15 ?

How many want to see if they can hit the 12th green ?

How many want to see if they can par # 10, # 11 and # 18 ?

How many want to see how good a shot they can hit on # 16 ?

I know that I wanted to do every one of those things.

I wanted to relive history.

I wanted to relive Sarazen's shot heard round the world, the eagle attempts at # 13, a birdie at # 12, parring # 18, all the things I've watched the greatest players in the world do, every spring for the last 50 years.

Is there a greater golfing experience than that ?

For others, perhaps there are, but, for me, ANGC is one of the greatest, if not the greatest experiences in golf.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;D

Tim Martin

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:19 AM »
As previously stated there are a number of components that make up a great experience. First and foremost it`s gotta be about the golf course. A couple of holes into the round I have to say to myself "Man this is even better than I thought it would be". I know it`s great when I realize that when putting out on 17 I think "Shit I can`t believe it`s almost over. Where did the day go?" The company, the setting, and the amenities put the cherry on top but when I feel privileged to be out there walking the ground and hitting the shots it was a great experience.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2012, 08:48:13 AM »
Shadow Creek was also an awesome experience. I will remember my first round there probably as much as any other mostly because I got married later that night at The Graceland Chapel.
Mr Hurricane

Michael George

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2012, 09:11:10 AM »
Shadow Creek was also an awesome experience. I will remember my first round there probably as much as any other mostly because I got married later that night at The Graceland Chapel.

Golf on your wedding day.  Golf on the honeymoon.  Some of you guys must be married to saints! 
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Dan Kelly

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »
How many of you don't long to play amen corner, to see how you'd fare, knowing how others have fared throughout the history of the Masters ?

How many of you want to see if you can get home in two on # 13 and # 15 ?

How many want to see if they can hit the 12th green ?

How many want to see if they can par # 10, # 11 and # 18 ?

How many want to see how good a shot they can hit on # 16 ?

I know that I wanted to do every one of those things.

I wanted to relive history.

I wanted to relive Sarazen's shot heard round the world, the eagle attempts at # 13, a birdie at # 12, parring # 18, all the things I've watched the greatest players in the world do, every spring for the last 50 years.

Is there a greater golfing experience than that ?

For others, perhaps there are, but, for me, ANGC is one of the greatest, if not the greatest experiences in golf.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;D

As well you should!

I'd love to do (or attempt to do) all of those things you asked about.

It's good to see, though, that you agree with my premise at the top of this thread -- that Augusta is not, unquestionably, the greatest experience in golf; that it is, rather -- quoting you now: "one of the greatest, if not the greatest."

I'm happy for you, that you've played Augusta National. (That's MY story, and I'll stick to it if I need to!)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:35:32 AM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2012, 10:08:25 PM »
Dan,

The opportunity to relive history, to replicate some of the great shots/holes that we've seen over the years, the opportunity to transport ourselves back to a memorable event in Masters history is an integral part of the first and subsequent rounds at ANGC.

We have such an incredible familiarity with the golf course, having watched the Masters for half a century, that it's almost like our home course, especially the back nine.

On the back nine of my last round at ANGC I started 3, 3, 3, 4, having just missed a 12-15 footer on 12, and as we walked off the 13th green our caddies and our group were discussing how much that start would be worth to the Sunday afternoon contenders.  Then we discussed previous tournaments and how that start would hane altered the outcomes.  What's really neat is playing the course when the hole locations are in the spots you've seen on TV.

When you play a hole well you can't help but relate your play to play you've seen at one of the previous Masters.

The course, and each hole is so inextricably connected to the tournament that we've been watching every year for decades and decades that you can't help but relate your play to the play of others.

It's a golfer's dream/fantasy experience, it's that special.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2012, 10:19:49 PM »
Pat, I agree with you in every way except I have never played there much less stayed there to enjoy the fruits of life there you described. You did an incredible job of describing your Greatest Experience! There is more than one famous Southern man's best day ever that includes your story, a private jet, a great meal, the best of bourbons and of course the company of as many lovely young ladies as his day and night choses to include. somehow I do not see this a southern only great day.

Ben Sims

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
Pat, I agree with you in every way except I have never played there much less stayed there to enjoy the fruits of life there you described. You did an incredible job of describing your Greatest Experience! There is more than one famous Southern man's best day ever that includes your story, a private jet, a great meal, the best of bourbons and of course the company of as many lovely young ladies as his day and night choses to include. somehow I do not see this a southern only great day.

I'll gladly offer my services free of charge if you need a driver for that jet.   I even have the needed accent.  ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2012, 10:59:41 PM »
Tiger,

I've been fortunate in that one of the members of my foursome or a friend flew me down in their plane.

As to the other activities, that's proprietary information and the statute of limitations has yet to expire.  ;D

Dan Kelly

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Tiger,

I've been fortunate in that one of the members of my foursome or a friend flew me down in their plane.

As to the other activities, that's proprietary information and the statute of limitations has yet to expire.  ;D

That's your non-story, and you'd damn well better stick to it.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »
Life is grand and life playing golf with friends on a lark can be just wonderful. I must admit the advertising motto what happens in Augusta stays in Augusta has a ring to it.  I might add when these perfect day emails come from New Orleans you often have a line about going over the racing form to get a few bets down while taking a massive ----- to start the day. There are often great detail on the off course activities and timelines with the ladies as well. Yet being gentleman they do clearly respect the rules of ANGC when on campus. It seems the rest of the day things become a little loser. lol

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back