News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Phinney

Donald Trump "Golf Film" Debuts in Chicago on Friday
« on: January 17, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »
For those GCA members in the Chicago area interested in learning more about what Donald Trump has promised will be the "best golf course in the world",  the American theatrical premiere of You've Been Trumped is being held this Friday January 20 at the Gene Siskel Film Center at in 164 N. State Street in downtown Chicago at 8:15pm.  There will be a second showing at 5:15 pm on Sunday, January 22.

Ticket information can be found at   http://www.siskelfilmcenter.org/you’ve-been-trumped

My colleague - the British director Anthony Baxter, who was arrested while making the film - will be there to answer questions. I'm going to try to make it to Chicago for the first screening as well, so please say hi if you come along.

You've Been Trumped will be playing in the next few weeks in Washington DC, Miami, Spokane, San Francisco, Sedona, Sautaket (NY),Saugatuck (Michigan) and Cleveland, with further dates to be announced soon.

David_Tepper

Tom_Doak

Re: Donald Trump "Golf Film" Debuts in Chicago on Friday
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 05:39:01 PM »
Did a scientist really describe those dunes as "Scotland's Amazon Rain Forest" ?  That's a bit of hyperbole, isn't it?

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:42:12 PM »
"Did a scientist really describe those dunes as "Scotland's Amazon Rain Forest" ?  That's a bit of hyperbole, isn't it?"

Tom D. -

The scientist may have said it and it may be a bit of hyperbole, but it likely pales next to Trump's claim that he was going to build the greatest golf course in the world. ;)

DT 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
"Did a scientist really describe those dunes as "Scotland's Amazon Rain Forest" ?  That's a bit of hyperbole, isn't it?"

Tom D. -

The scientist may have said it and it may be a bit of hyperbole, but it likely pales next to Trump's claim that he was going to build the greatest golf course in the world. ;)

DT 

David:

I think for most people, including myself, "Amazon rain forest" trumps (small T) "greatest golf course in the world" as a comparison.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
Personally, I can't wait.

On a lighter note... 

http://deadspin.com/5876963/
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »
Rosie O'Donnell will moderate the discussion at Friday's 8:15 show.

Trump must be behind this movie because I am suddenly interested in playing the course. It could be the boycott breaker.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »
The Guardian reviews the documentary:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2011/sep/13/youve-been-trumped-scotland-golf-course

The claims regarding the nature of the dunesland, while possibly inflated, appear to have some merit.  

Anyone seriously interested in an analysis of the property might want to read this:

http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/publications/commissioned_reports/232.pdf 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:00:38 PM by David_Tepper »

Ross Harmon

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:29:57 PM »
Rosie O'Donnell will moderate the discussion at Friday's 8:15 show.

NOW I'm interested!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 03:01:59 AM »
The disturbing thing is nature and locals can be uprooted on the whim of a foreigners cash for sport and leisure.

The film is also being shown in London on 29th January
Cave Nil Vino

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 05:41:47 AM »
Anyone want to go see it in Setauket on 3/12?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:44:49 AM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 05:45:03 AM »
It's also being shown at Stourbridge Golf Club on 29th February.
Cave Nil Vino

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:46 AM »
The disturbing thing is nature and locals can be uprooted on the whim of a foreigners cash for sport and leisure.

I am guessing the soon to be filmed reality series, "Trumps teaches the Euros a lesson or two" will soon be airing. Let's see how the French and Swedes handle Donnie boy!!

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Trump-threat-to-can-Scottish-resort/2330/Default.aspx

"Trump organization:

"All further plans for future development, including the hotel, are now on hold until the Scottish government makes a decision on the application for the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre. If the north east of Scotland is serious about tourism and creating a global golf destination it cannot allow the coastline to be ruined by an ugly industrial park directly off the shoreline.”

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 08:07:43 AM »
Richard,
I note you are the Producer of the film, would you like to talk a little about how you came to be involved in this project and do you anticipate any kind of release in Australia?

Cheers
BM
@theflatsticker

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »
Sounds like a real-life scenario depicted in the excellent film, "Local Hero".  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085859/

Richard Phinney

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
Richard,
I note you are the Producer of the film, would you like to talk a little about how you came to be involved in this project and do you anticipate any kind of release in Australia?

Cheers
BM

The short answer is that when I'm not writing golf books I am a documentary producer for radio and television.  My business colleague Anthony - the director of You've Been Trumped - and I knew something about coastal erosion, having produced a BBC doc on the subject, and when the Trump development got its final approval we thought we would look into it more, given the incredibly one-sided coverage in the local Aberdeen Press.   Our office is in Montrose, a links town about an hour down the coast from the Trump development, and once we interviewed the locals affected by the course we realized that the caricature of them in the worldwide press was just that, and it didn't take much digging to discover that the environmental impact was severe and irreversible, and the economic case was, to put it mildly, flimsy.  Anthony decided he had to start filming to make some kind of record of what was going on, and before long we found ourselves in a jail cell, which opened up a host of other issues.

The film did play at the Brisbane International Film festival, and we've had a couple of queries from Australian distributors (and Qantas!) but we've been focussing on the USA and the UK at the moment. 

Richard Phinney

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 01:15:32 PM »
Sounds like a real-life scenario depicted in the excellent film, "Local Hero".  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085859/

You may be interested to know, Dan, that the film uses a number of clips form Local Hero to make that point...and there is a very funny scene where Anthony calls Donald Trump from the very same phone box used in Local Hero......

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »

The film is also being shown in London on 29th January

Thanks Mark, it’s Quite convenient from Chateaux  Muldoon.

I'm playing in the morning  so my only worry is standing out from the students as an obviously golfy type, and then falling asleep 10 mins in.

I think the wife is out so I might well wander along. 
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Smolens

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 03:37:09 PM »
Thinking of attending the Sun p.m. show if there are any Chicago gca denizens going -- maybe a trip over to Tufano's after the show for some lemon chicken?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
Richard, I found the trailer remarkably compelling.  Under IM, I'll match you up with some of the NYC media who might be interested in seeing the film and speaking to you.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
Richard,

will it playing in Aberdeen or Inverness?

Jon

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 07:29:06 PM »
Played in Aberdeen for a week in the Belmont cinema, around Autumn time last year.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 09:00:28 PM »
I would suggest leaving Chicago before one runs into someone who saw it and starts to babble nothingness after the sheer horror of being exposed to an egomaniac's work.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 09:47:55 PM »
Richard,

If the economic case was ... "flimsy", why would Donald Trump make any investment in the project ?

David_Tepper

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »
"If the economic case was ... "flimsy", why would Donald Trump make any investment in the project ?"

Pat M. -

The "flimsy" is likely in regard to the data offered concerning what benefits the project would provide to the economy of Aberdeen, not to the potential profits the Trump company might earn from the project.

DT 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back