News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

The Early Days of Pinehurst by Chris Buie
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »
I went for an annual review with our hosting company last Friday and Monica informed me that 7,200 different computers logged into GolfClubAtlas.com in 2010 on a daily basis. In 2011, that number grew to 9,400, a spiffy 30% increase. However, only ~1,400 people are registered to post, which means the preponderance of people tune in strictly to read.

And one of the best reads you can have is Chris Buie’s freshly posted paper on the early days of Pinehurst now found under In My Opinion. Laced with postcards and photographs from back in the day, his writing takes us on a meandering journey. In pleasurably unhurried prose, Chris talks about James Tufts’s early vision and how it changed out of necessity. You meet Doctor Leroy Culver who laid out the first holes as well as the first Scot golf professional of Pinehurst, John Dunn Tucker (Ross came second!). You’ll even brush past F Scott Fitzgerald as you peruse The Early Days of Pinehurst. Importantly, Chris imparts a sense of the times like in this paragraph:

'When deprived of the tempering influence of home and hearth, lively groups of men are sometimes known to pursue what Ross called "sporty" vacations. This was roundly discouraged by the Pinehurst establishment. In fact, one had to be personally approved by the Tufts family to be admitted into their Southern haven. So keen was Tufts upon a wholesome environment that alcohol was not allowed within the resort at any time. The banishment of intoxicating spirits within the gilded edges of this village was about as successful as it soon went in the nationwide Prohibition decree - which is to say that there was the occasional discrepancy between stated community standards and the activities which actually took place.'  8)

What a treat to read (!) as sadly such nuanced humor and sly writing is largely absent in golf circles these days.

Relating to golf, two of the titanic figures in early American golf, namely HC Fownes and Walter Travis, feature prominently. Chris shines the spotlight on an eye-popping passage from Travis in The American Golfer, where Travis claims much of the credit for the evolution of No.2  :P (and this, mind you, 30 years prior to the greens becoming grass): 'Finally in 1906 I won him {James Tufts} around to my way of thinking and he gave me carte blanche to go ahead.' In regards to Ross, Travis wrote that Ross ‘although credited with laying out some hundreds of courses all over the country, really had no genius for the work. Donald heeded my advice...and golf has been tremendously benefited by his many very fine creations since.’  :o

Just as amusing as these quotes from The Old Man are how Chris treats them by noting afterwards, ‘The main thing one can deduce from this striking passage is that it is unlikely Mr. Travis suffered from a shortage of ego. Indeed, it is the imperious tone ("he was merely an echo of my own views") which draws the credibility of his statements into question. Any discriminating reader would view his words with no small measure of skepticism. It is interesting to note that genius and graciousness are not the most compatable of personal characteristics. Some manage to pull it off - but that is the exception rather than the rule.’  ;)

That’s just GREAT writing. My course profiles are just that – course profiles. Chris does something far more interesting – he tells us a story. The fact that he elected to spend so much time, twenty images and over 5,000 words makes us all the richer. This is what GolfClubAtlas.com was built for – richly textured articles of the sort that magazines rarely can publish due to space constraints.

Looping back to the top, why do so many people read GolfClubAtlas.com? Some like to be entertained. Some like to learn. Others appreciate having events put in historical context. All of these ingredients are present in spades in this delightful essay. It is like a Russian doll, with many things of interest found inside. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:24:23 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Ed Oden

Re: The Early Days of Pinehurst by Chris Buie
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »
Chris, fantastic job!  Hopefully this leads to more pieces from you down the road!

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »
Chris,

What an awesome essay. Thank you for putting together and posting to GCA.
H.P.S.

David Stewart

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »
Chris,

A wonderfully written essay! What extensive research you must have done. Many thanks!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 03:24:24 PM »
Lovely work, Chris - thank you.

You made me think: the true essence of a place lives on, the golf course (at its best) simply a reflection of that essence.

There really do seem to be places with soul, and soul-less places too (there are 3 or 4 country-clubs-for-a-day that I can think of that have no life to them.)

Thanks again
Peter

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »
A very enjoyable and enlightening read,
Thank you Chris

Chris Buie

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 05:14:04 PM »
Oh, you guys are very kind. Thanks so much. It was an enjoyable little exercise for me. I guess some of you will enjoy it well enough - some not, I suppose. Oh well, it was fun having a go at it anyway.

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 08:57:41 PM »
Chris -

Delightful read. Thanks.

About the Travis piece from the 1920 American Golfer. Yes, Travis is boastful, yes he is comes off as egotistical. All perhaps distasteful, but is he actually misrepresenting his role at PII? Being a jerk does not make you a liar.

I ask the question because Travis wrote his piece at a time when Ross was living at Pinehurst and able to respond. If Ross thought Travis had misrepresented things (it's worse than that - he belittles Ross), Ross would have been motivated to correct Travis' account. Have you found anything indicating that Ross did so?

Bob   

Tom MacWood

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 07:07:09 AM »
Chris
That is a very interesting essay.

I agree with Bob, considering Travis told this story at a time Ross was riding high nationally, and Ross and others could have easily challenged his account, as opposed to 1906 when Ross was not well known, the story comes across as valid to me. Travis wrote a lot on the subject and I don't recall him exaggerating his role in any particular design. I think there were probably more situations like this, where he played an influential role, then we know.

Also in 1920 the #2 course was not as highly respected as it would later become. No doubt it was one of the premier courses in the South, but I would say it was in the second tier nationally. Its not like Travis was taking credit for designing PV.

Travis had a lot of issues as a person but I think he was pretty honest about his architectural accomplishments. And really in this case he is not saying he laid out the course, it seems to me he is crediting Ross as the primary designer, but taking credit for influencing the more challenging aspect of the design. Then again maybe he is taking credit. Hard to say. In 1906, I think one can make the case Travis was the more experienced and advanced man architecturally; some of Ross's early work in Massachusetts was pretty crude and dull.

Do you know if John Dunn Tucker was related to Willie Tucker? That is the first I've heard his name.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:23:59 AM by Tom MacWood »

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 08:13:49 AM »
Chris,
       Excellent work.
                             Bruce

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 08:24:38 AM »
Bravo Chris! An adroitly crafted, well-researched read sir. Tell me that text, expanded and matched with a Burns-quality video prodution, wouldn't be well-received by those interested in history AND golf. A wonderful series, spotlighting the game's evolutionary locales, wrapped around the life and times of those that helped create them, as well as help shape the nations' in which golf grew, would make for superb viewing.

Some Golf Channel folks recently inquired on this site seeking suggestions beyond Big Break XXXIV at Stalag 13. Ding, Ding, Ding...paging Mr. Buie! If they are really looking for what they can CONTRIBUTE to elevating the game, I can't imagine a better way to profile or convey how much those that embrace and play golf have accomplished for society in general throughout the game's rich history.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:30:23 AM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Chris Buie

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »
It's interesting you reference Ken Burns Kris because that is exactly what I thought. His style would fit the story perfectly - and as you can see there is plenty of material for such a film. There is, of course, a lot more to the story that I didn't get to. If the Golf Channel is doing well enough financially then they need to step up the quality of their programming at least on occasion. They do have some level of responsibility to the game they (presumably) profit from. They did well with the Story of Golf (I think it was called that). In the right hands a documentary can be very compelling. I'm sure there are many very talented auteurs out there that would be elated to work with that material. I'll even give them a head start. Here is a fabulous film clip from early days which they could incorporate into their little opus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtT5wOTzTsM&feature=fvsr

Hi Bob, thanks for your input. You raise a very good question.
What exactly was Travis' role in the formation of No. 2 - and what, if any of his work remains?
Here is the answer:
We don't know and never will.
That is, it is a mystery.
I love the fact that there is a mystery involved in that course. For me, that makes it more interesting.

I will say this, none of the green complexes and almost half of the holes in play since the 1930's were not in play in the version Travis was associated with. You can check Ed Oden's encyclopedic compilation to see the 1922 version - the earliest routing map I know of. Compare the early version with the final and you will also see that two of the original holes are...under the lake of today's No. 4 course.

Never the less, it is certainly possible some of the course may to this day hold some of his input. But that version was not the magic version. Not yet.

Regarding the non-response from Ross - it is true he could have said something about it and I'll tell you why I think he didn't. He was too much of a gentleman. I think he would considered it an unworthy exercise to get into a debate with someone over credit - especially with someone who took such a shrill tone with him.

Travis was brilliant, and his little soliloquy probably has some level of truth in it. However, his tone was almost as charmless as some of the tripe I've read on this forum. It is sad to me that Travis went in that direction because it reflects very, very poorly on his character. He was so gifted and did so well in so many areas. He contributed hugely to the game. Well, anyway it makes the story more complex.

Hi Tom, always a pleasure to have you around. Regarding Tucker check pages 40 and 41 of Richard Mandell's book Pinehurst - Home of American Golf. To me that is best book on the area. A lot of the essay was derived from the facts within those pages. His research was a lot more extensive and impressive than mine.

I was interested in writing and really I'd prefer to just leave it at that rather than getting into a lot of debate about it. That doesn't interest me at all these days.

Mike Tanner

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:50:24 PM »
Chris,
Thanks for for sharing such an informative and well-written essay. It definitely expanded my knowledge about Pinehurst and the Tuft legacy,  as well as the connectedness of Donald Ross, the Fownes and Travis. Reading your essay also served as an reminder to keep working on a research project of my own.

Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
Thanks Chris.

Interesting. I did not know that Travis and the Tufts knew each other so well.

I understand that Ross made any number of changes to greens and surrounds at PII over the years. But other than the two holes now under a lake, is it plausible to think that PII is largely a Travis routing?

A related question - if Ross didn't push back against Travis' 1920 article, did Ross ever give Travis credit for assisting with PII?  

Bob
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:59:08 AM by BCrosby »

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:56:27 PM »
But other than the two holes now under a lake 

Bob

Could someone expound on this.

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
But other than the two holes now under a lake 

Bob

Could someone expound on this.

In one of Chris' responses above he notes that two holes of the original routing of PII are now under a lake found on PIV.

Bob

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 07:10:25 AM »
Chris,

Thanks for that video link. Bang on regarding that being the type of archive footage and storylines that would make for compelling material to be woven through a lively video production.

I checked and Mr. Burns is currently engaged in another of his epics, this time focused on Vietnam, due for a PBS airing in 2016!!! :-[
Give me a few days and I'll be in touch, as there are a couple of other potential leads on producer-types that might be interested in such a project. Funding would be the main challenge, but I believe that could be surmounted.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Danny Brassil

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 07:17:43 AM »
wow very interesting reading thanks for sharing it.

Chris Buie

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »
But other than the two holes now under a lake, is it plausible to think that PII is largely a Travis routing?

Hi Bob, good question. I think it would be a pretty strong mischaracterization to say that No. 2 is "largely a Travis routing". A great deal of the final  routing is different from what we can see in the map below. And of what remains from that time - who can say what Travis did?

Have a look at the map below you can see that 12 holes of the final version have the same routing as in 1922. What are today's 7th and 10th were changed greatly. I'm not sure what the difference between 1922 and the earlier version Travis worked on was. I do recall seeing a very early line drawing of a routing where the first 3 holes barely made it past where the first hole ends today. I don't seem to have it on hand at the moment - sorry.

A proper study of Travis and No. 2 could be interesting. A Travis expert could analyze the earliest material and could at least give his best guesses - say which parts (if any) are very reminiscent of his design style. I don't know his design style well. But I'm sure there are some people who do. Why don't one of you guys start a thread on the subject and see what turns up?  

If we're looking to give credit where due on that course, Frank Maples is the guy who deserves more consideration. He and Ross were symbiotic and Maples spent decades crafting that course - bit by bit.

Bruce, the holes 9 and 10 on the map below are the ones that are under the water that is on the edge of today's 13th on #4.

Kris, I just saw this bit on the news about the Sundance Film Festival that's going on now. Basically, there are a boatload of film makers out there dying to have a chance to show what they can do. I'm sure some could do a piece on Pinehurst history really well. It would probably be good for the Golf Channel to pick a particularly talented one, give him a grant and say "here's your big chance kid."
Oh, and by the way, it is a pity the GC hasn't broadcast Creating Old Macdonald by Michael Robin. I really enjoyed it. Surely they could spare us yet another re-run of Big Break and show it at least once.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:10:06 PM by Chris Buie »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »
Chris
Travis's design style? Unless you are going to supply 1907 photographs of the course what are we going to compare his design style to? I don't know if I've ever seen a photo of the course circa 1907. I think the more useful exercise would be to search contemporaneous news accounts for clues to who may have done what.

I don't have Richard's book what does it say about John Dunn Tucker?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »
Kris, On my recent trip to the area, I met a young man who was making a documentary on Ross. I've forgotten his name, sorry. He seemed in the early stages of his research, but, my guess is that someone at the Tuft's Archives, might know the young man. He's a local, if that's any help. Straight black hair and glasses. Mid- Late 30's early 40's.

Chris, Bravo! Appreciated. You live in a magical place.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

BCrosby

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 09:32:22 PM »
Chris - Thanks. I can think of no one better than you to sort out the Travis contribution. I hope you will do so. Notwithstanding the off-putting tone of the Travis account, I would be inclined to take him pretty seriously. Circa 1906 he was on the cutting edge of American gca. I hope you will also follow up on Maples' work at PII.

A quick story about Maples. The son (Jimmie) of the man who built Athens CC in the 20's was sent by his father to Pinehurst for a month in the late 40's to learn from the Pinehurst crews how they maintained the Ross courses there.

I talked often with Jimmie (that is not a misspelling) in the late '90's when putting together a history of Athens CC. He was then old and very frail. But one of his strongest memories was of the the month he spent in Pinehurst back in the 40's. He told me two or three times, unaware that he was repeating the story, about how Maples and his wife had met him at the train station on his arrival in Pinehurst, gave him a room in their home and made a place for him at their table for his meals. He loved Maples like a father and they stayed in touch over the years. Jimmie became very emotional talking about Maples. And Jimmie did not show his emotions easily. Quite the opposite.

I know little about Maples the elder as an architect or as a course super. But he must have been a wonderfully generous man. He was fondly remembered by someone who had spent only a short time with him many decades earlier.

Bob  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:31:30 PM by BCrosby »

Craig Disher

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »
Chris,
Thank you; your essay was pure pleasure to read.

I'd never seen the short film clip before. Do you think the par 3 hole shown around the 8:00 mark is the 15th on #5? It looks like it to me.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 04:32:27 PM »
This is a preface that Travis wrote for the first installment of his autobiographical article "20 Years in Golf." This first appears in April and the reference that Chris uses is from final article in October. It would prove interesting to see if there was any further discussion in the letter to editor section of the Nov/Dec/Jan issues. Also, arguments our corrections were sometimes carried over to local papers where some comments are made in the sports section.

Chris did you come across much information on Robert Hunter at Pinehurst, he was very close with both Ross, Travis, and even Tufts! He spent quite a bit of time there and battled with Travis over the links there. Also, we have a random mention of Hunter taking MacKenzie down to Pinehurst to meet with Ross. Have not seen any collaborated evidence to that end, if you could keep you eyes open for any mention I would be very thankful.

Tully

BCrosby

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »
Sean -

Maybe I'm late to the party, but Travis was a very savvy guy. The passage you quote is a good example. He knew full well that his PII account would come off as egotistical. And he published it anyway.

Travis is badly under-appreciated in the history of gca, as much for what he wrote about gca as for the courses he built.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back