News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Re: The Metropolitan Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (6th hole posted)
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »

The 6th tee shot offers different challenges to different classes of players. Average hacks can aim at the left fairway bunker, while bombers may try to bend a fade around or carry the set on the right.

A duffed shot to the right will lead to a second shot complicated by sand and trees.

Past the fairway traps, the prepared turf turns and slopes to the right.

Bunkers surround another elevated green, yet a small avenue is offered for run-ups.

This green features some of the busiest contours found at Metro, and I imagine the scores posted on this hole are quite variable for mid-handicappers.

Another big thank you to Sir Clayton for the corrections and insights above!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Scott Warren

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 11:49:07 PM »
I'm quite fond of this hole after a single play, but I know several of the Melbournians don't like it at all.

For those who aren't fans, why not?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:56:08 PM by Scott Warren »

Mark_F

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 01:00:06 AM »
I'm quite fond of this hole after a single play, but I know several of the Melbournians don't like it at all.

For those who aren't fans, why not?

Scott,

Have a look at this image:

The bunker is just dreadful - steep protruding tongue against an Eiger face of sand.  Just dreadful.  The whole green complex is vastly overbunkered, and the contours of the green don't fit in with the rest of the course.  The double-bunkered tee shot is hardly emblematic of the best of Sandbelt golf, although perhaps not in and of itself a dreadful idea - maybe it is just the execution. 

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 04:54:30 AM »
It is a much better hole now you can see the left hand greenside bunker from the place Kyle has taken the 3rd photo.
There were some big trees on that right corner by the green.

David_Elvins

Re: The Metropolitan Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (19th hole posted)
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 06:58:18 AM »
I think your solution/suggestion is a good one though - a very good one!

One small problem with 11 is that itwould be a pity to lose the best example of "Dick Wilson's"  work on the course. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Kyle Henderson

Re: The Metropolitan Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (7th hole posted)
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 01:28:53 AM »
#7:

Playing through a shoot of trees, the 7th looks even more demanding than it plays from the tips. There is plenty of space around the green, but that space is filled with bunkers and slopes.

The front/right allows the low ball to find green space, while the large surface area of the green also accepts aerial approaches somewhat liberally.

A look back over the immaculate putting surface to the 7th tee with the 6th fairway at left.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »
This was a short four before Wilson made it par three. They took a number of trees from the back of the tee recently and now you can play it from just off the right edge of the 6th green as a 300 yard par four. With some well placed hazards it could be a really good short,drivable par four - something course could do with.
It is the only par three over 175 yards so many would see its loss as taking something away from the course.
Of course it could be both - a long three with a back tee.

Scott Warren

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
Mark F,

So other than that tongue in the bunker, you think 6 is a good hole?

Mark_F

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »
Mark F,

So other than that tongue in the bunker, you think 6 is a good hole?

Scott,

No, I don't.

Whilst not adverse to the idea of the fairway bunkers on this hole, I don't think they work very well.  The green is bunkered very strangely - it is pretty much a strictly aerial route, which isn't at all in the Metropolitan manner.  The right hand side of the hole looks to have been vegetated by the same person responsible for the abortion on the left of RM East 15, and the green is a little too abrupt. 

Hopefully I will be having a hit there on Monday, so I will get some more pics and thoughts then.  :)  It's clearly the second worst green complex at Metro - behind four.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
Mark

You will be happy to know that the 4th is out of play because they have reseeded the green.
How do you think 6 would be is the long second and the pitch played something close to the way the 1st at Peninsula South works?
There is a functional drain right of the 7th tee that runs up the 8th that could be incorporated into the play of 6 in the same way the drain that used to run left of Peninsula's 1st hole was used.

Chris Kane

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 04:15:30 PM »
A creek on a sandbelt course Mike? Say it ain't so!

Mark_F

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »
How do you think 6 would be is the long second and the pitch played something close to the way the 1st at Peninsula South works?
There is a functional drain right of the 7th tee that runs up the 8th that could be incorporated into the play of 6 in the same way the drain that used to run left of Peninsula's 1st hole was used.

Mike,

That could work pretty well.  Good choice of options for the second.  A bit of variety too. 

A creek on a sandbelt course Mike? Say it ain't so!

There is already a creek on Peninsula South 1,3 and 5 Chris, so your outrage is misplaced. 

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »
Chris,

It would be a drain made to look like a creek - a bit like that thing across the first on the Old Course!

Kyle Henderson

Re: The Metropolitan Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (8th hole posted)
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »
#8:

The 8th hole does not begin with visual fireworks. A flat fairway is seen working right around bunkers that can be challenged for an advantageous approach.

A slight push will invite sandy lies and tree trouble for short-hitters.

Bombers may reach the corner on the racing fairways.

Bunkers are also set to ensnare careless lay-up shots that finish 100-140 meters out. This behemoth on the right side protects the best line in to back left pins.

Mike_Clayton

Re: The Metropolitan Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (8th hole posted)
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 07:32:49 PM »
Kyle,

I think this hole is more interesting for the majority from the women's tee at about 440 yards. All can reach the corner so there is a reason to drive close to the right bunkers. Off the back tee the majority need to aim left so not to get stuck behind the trees on the corner.
Into the wind it is a long second through the hollow in front but it is ideal for a running shot.
Down wind its a drive and a middle to short iron so the green, whilst demanding, is not overly so.

I have long thought it is one of those holes that if it had always been a long 4 it would have been thought of as one of the best par 4s on the course and if you suggested moving the tee back 70 yards and making a par five the members would think you were mad -  and vice-versa.

Chris Kane

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
There is already a creek on Peninsula South 1,3 and 5 Chris, so your outrage is misplaced. 
True. Is that creek original or a recent addition?

Kyle Henderson

Re: The Metropolitan Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (9th hole posted)
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »
#9: 313 meters. Par 4.

The 9th is another dogleg to starboard -- the front side mostly turns right, with the exception of #1; the back side mostly turns left with the exception of #16. Sir Clayton reports that many trees pictured on the right side have been removed since this photo was taken.

The inside of the elbow offers unpredictable kicks…

… and sand depending on the line and carry distance of one’s drive. The approach is a bit easier from the right.

A look back over the green’s left flank.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Kyle,

The trees are gone off the corner - all except the big one immediately in front of the tee. It isn't too hard to carry so the hole has gone from being a drive and a 4,5 or 6 to an 8 or a 9.
It is a poor drive to have to hit - but why stand on principle and leave a 5 iron when you can hit the same drive but further right and have a 9?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
Kyle,

The trees are gone off the corner - all except the big one immediately in front of the tee. It isn't too hard to carry so the hole has gone from being a drive and a 4,5 or 6 to an 8 or a 9.
It is a poor drive to have to hit - but why stand on principle and leave a 5 iron when you can hit the same drive but further right and have a 9?

I'm not proficient enough with my golf game to intentionally play by any principles other than the official rules.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 09:12:24 PM »
Kyle,

Then just aim down the fairway and hit a big,high block.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2012, 09:55:37 PM »
Kyle,

Then just aim down the fairway and hit a big,high block.

Ah, the Haney Special. I'll try that one next time. ;)

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
Bump...

Kyle must be buried in the books again or something  ;)

I definitely liked how this front 9 started out, despite having been sent out to kick things off with the back 9 first. 

I agree the 1st is quite good.  The first few holes allow the player to work their way into the round without getting too beat up is how it felt for me.  The 1st is also one of the, if not the, most consistent in "Sandbelt" looking in bunker style to the course.  Rather consistent when compared to the other holes on the course, if you ask me.

The 2nd suffers from being so flattish I think.  But from the tee, it looks ok.  The bunkers definitely command respect.

The frilly bushes off the 3rd tee didn't quite do it for me.  I never did understand what was going on with the land shape short and right of the 3rd green, but surmised it was a skeleton bunker.  So good to hear Mike confirm this.  I'm also curious about this being the case as well to the left of the left greenside bunker.  There's what appears to be a significant grassed in dip there.  I really liked the approach, green and surrounds to that 3rd.  Rather subtle and it did not feel too abrupt or overdone in being slightly propped up. It feels draped actually.  Solid hole.

On the 4th is where I felt we had some camouflage / depth perception play going on with the bunker short and right of the green.  The approach there left me wanting a little and I felt the bunkers on this hole started to depart in look and shape.  The ones to the green did not do much for me.  The green feels a tad propped up as well.  Certainly noticeably more than the 3rd.

The 5th continues to have some good subtle land rumple movement like on the 4th as Kyle mentioned and that was a definite plus.  The bunkers return with the Sandbelt look except ... for that bunker short of the green and center right that felt completely out of place and annoying actually.  It looks like some disproportional turd.  I get why it's there, but did not care of it at all.  I agree the approach is pretty good with an even better green and greenside bunkers.  I'd like to see some tree management though to the left of the green.  Not much room to recover from the left of the leftside green bunker.

The 19th was pretty much covered and I don't remember much, since it was not in play.  I do recall seeing some contours leading into the green that kind of gave me the impression a runner could possibly be hit into this green.  Not sure though with the looming bunkers left and right.  I also remember the 19th more for what's going on in the back.  A lot of movement and room to the back with some run off slope.  Matthew gave it a go from those those back tees in the woods though and made a decent shot.

19th Tee Back ... Way Back

The 6th had bunkersuperfluous going on for me, but I absolutely loved the shape of the rolling land and how it naturally turns with some elevation change.  Delicious.  Decent green with a rumpled entrance that was pretty cool.

I felt the 7th looked better than the 2nd, but it too felt rather flattish in nature.  Countours show some nice subtlety with good bunker shaping.

I think Kyle nailed the 8th.  For me, the bunkers from the tee look tired and worn.  They don't really impose much intimidation at all.  As much as I tried to appreciate the approach and green, it just felt like a departure.  The shaping feels suspect and overdone short and around the green (especially to the right and back of the green).  Wilson mounds?  Ugh...

I'll remember the 9th for the green more plus the fairway rumples off the tee.  The green goes back to a more subtle and natural feel, even if it's perhaps not all natural.

I'm glad to hear tree management is in the works because that is one of the things I was going to say was in need here.  That and some bunker work along with de-Wilsonizing (like on the 8th?).  But overall, a pretty good nine and the better nine.

Another thing I remember is how Metro has a very cool club logo and I'll be damned if the place is not the most incredible wild bird sanctuary...
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Kyle Henderson

Re: The Metropolitan Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (10th hole posted)
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 03:16:37 PM »
10th hole:

The back nine, often used as the opening loop for member play, begins with a drive to a flat fairway that bends to port.

An artificial lake is found beyond the tree line along the outside of the dog leg, but should be taken out of play from the tee with a well-conceived drive. The ideal placement for the approach is from right of the fairway's center. Bombers may elect to club down for control or attempt to sling a big draw around the corner.

The green is open at the front right. Long/right is a bad miss.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:22:37 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

Re: The Metropolitan Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (11th hole posted)
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »
#11:

The 11th is a solid test of a par 3, featuring an elevated green flacked by multiple bunkers. While not a bad hole, it has few features that memorably distinguish it from similar offerings around the sand belt.

Kyle Henderson

Re: The Metropolitan Golf Club: A Pictorial!!! (12th hole posted)
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »

Play from the 12th tee is dominated by the intrusion of two fairway bunkers into the centerline. The shortest carry point for these traps is near the middle and the strategy induced by this orientation reminds me a bit of the bottle hole template.

A closer look at one of Metropolitan’s most influential hazards. Bombers may easily carry this trap, but medium length hitters will need to display control. An ideal drive will hug the fairway’s left to open an avenue left of the fronting greenside bunker.

A fine hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back