News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Allan Jamieson is posted
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:52:34 AM »
The lifelines of every club are new members. With them, you are fine. Without them, little good ensues.

That said, suppose the credentials of a private club could be distilled as follows: ‘Eighteen hole course situated on great land. Thirteen holes built during the Golden Age of architecture. The other five holes don’t belong and were built during a different era. Too many trees exist, which means the course plays slow and wet most of the year.’

Who would join?  ::)

Perhaps those who play golf occasionally. They aren’t attuned to golf (good or bad) and certainly not the nuances of golf course architecture. If they can drink, play cards, and have fun with friends, their needs are satiated.

However, golfers that cherish the most time honored virtues of the game would be underwhelmed by such an offering. Life has taught them that places that celebrate the great game – that put golf on a pedestal - attract very fine people and that an atmosphere is created that draws them in. Essentially, they want to spend their precise spare time at such places.

Many grand clubs with proud golfing heritages have faded over time, diminished by the soft demands placed on them by social or occasional golfers. The character and special design features of Golden Age courses tragically disappear  >:( under lax stewardship. Reversing the culture at such clubs is a rare occurrence.

Now consider the following:

‘Eighteen hole course situated on great land. Superlative golf holes laced throughout, many built during the Golden Age of architecture. Wide playing corridors, lots of short grass. Conditions: Firm. Trees are well back from play and cypresses provide handsome backdrops. Walking is highly encouraged.’

Who would join? Golfers, of course, the very people who become the life blood of a GOLF club!

This month’s Feature Interview with Allan Jamieson tells such a story. It’s about a noble course that had disappeared from most people’s radar and fell outside of a thousand courses that you would like to play. It has been ingeniously resuscitated and emerges in a form that may make it the best in the greater San Francisco area. All the Golden Age design tenets are in full force: width, playing angles, well-placed hazards, acres and acres of short grass, fast running surfaces, all capped off by first rate and varied green complexes.

Looking down the length of the eleventh fairway at the clubhouse with the San Bruno mountains in the distance.

Was it expensive? Yes. How daunting was it to bring in five thousand truckloads of sand  :o so that the course would not only look right but play right? Very! Closed for only 15 months (and not one employee was laid off during that time), the course – which is any golf club’s primary calling card - went from mundane to a type of firm, bouncy, thought provoking playing experience rarely found (especially on the west coast).

It was worth it because golfers are smart and quality eventually wins out. Here is a course that is now fortified for the foreseeable future. It is attracting young golfing members (25 last year) who are enthralled by the playing conditions. Some say that nearby SFGC is its equal for short grass and sprawling bunkers but to get comparable kick and run, you may have to travel to Melbourne, Australia! No wonder that Ian Baker-Finch loved the California Golf Club when he played there last September.

Al Jamieson was the chair of the committee to renovate in 2005 and club president in 2006 when the debate was held and it was voted to proceed. The course shut in April 2007 for Kyle Phillips’s broad reaching plan to be implemented. Rarely has there been a more fortuitous circumstance than Al on the board at the Cal Club at that very time. While there were sharp differences of opinion within the club, everyone will tell you that Al and the board acted in the club’s best long term interests. His commentary is always genuine and heartfelt. Words like ‘I’ and ‘me’ are mercifully absent from his vocabulary. Among our correspondence over the past four years, Al once wrote (and I reprint it with his permission): “The game is bigger and better than all of us. The integrity of the club is more important than the parochial interests of any member or group of members. Like all great clubs, it will endure and continue to enrich the lives of all who respect the game and nurture her.”

Wow! If leadership promotes those sentiments, sign me up! Along with Sleepy Hollow (I haven’t seen LA North and Pinehurst No.2 always had its greens) this is the greatest course transformation of which I am familiar. See if you agree. In any event, this is an insightful story of accomplishing something special within the framework of a private club, related by a standup guy.

Hope you enjoy this month’s Feature Interview.

Cheers,

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Feature Interview with Allan Jamieson is posted
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:31:57 AM »
Great interview.  Al is one of the really good guys and in my mind his club is the best in town.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »
Ran,

I've been waiting for this one. Thanks for doing and posting. Al's a true gentleman and all class. The Cal Club story is special I think.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 02:12:40 PM »
Ran & Allen,

Thank you for taking the time to publish this interview. The Cal Club's renovation story really is unique and special, and from the looks of it, the results are extremely dramatic. I sure hope in this age of so little new construction, golfers and architects can take the time to study and restore many more classical designs in this fashion.
H.P.S.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »
It is a great story and the club has a lot to be proud of. 

On a much larger macro scale it rates as one of the great restorations in American golf history and serves as a great example of how a course should be restored. 

Along with LACC and Pinehurst it has set the bar high.  Hopeully more courses will follow it's example.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »
Absolutely fabulous interview, there is so much any club could learn, regardless of whether it is considering some small projects or a complete renovation.

I believe it takes real courage and foresight for a club's membership to undertake a project like the one completed at CGC and its membership should be applauded for its bold actions.  It also takes great leadership, and Allan Jamieson and the others members who shepherded the project through to completion should be very proud of what has been accomplished.

I am sure a lot of us are members at clubs that could benefit from the wisdom and forethought the California Golf Club has exhibited.  Hopefully their example will help others move forward.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:30:37 AM »
Funny, I was just interviewing Kyle Phillips about this same course!  Great to see him getting props here o GCA.  Great job, Ran.  Maybe we should get Kyle to participate here.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 12:34:58 PM »
Funny, I was just interviewing Kyle Phillips about this same course!  Great to see him getting props here o GCA.  Great job, Ran.  Maybe we should get Kyle to participate here.

Kyle did an interview here several months ago.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/kyle-phillips-september-2010/

Josh Smith

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »
Al mentions Mark Thawley in the interview.  Mark was one of the original Discussion Group contributors.  It would be cool to see him back and active here.  Mark used to tell me how cool Cal Club could be, and I was skeptical.  I had played nine holes there, alone, on a miserable, cold foggy morning.  I was underwhelmed.  Mark suggested I try to work on the crew out there so that if the project went through, I could be there to help with the transformation.  I went to work at Cal Club a year before the shovels went into the ground.

The foresight that guys like Al, Mark, and Kyle, among others have is really a gift. 

I see or talk to Al every couple of days and I have to echo what those above are saying.  The thing that is most important to me about him is that he cares about individuals and actually takes the time to get to know everyone.  He doesn't give you that "blank Member stare" and look straight through you as if you were just another tree on the course.  I think he looks at the club's employees as part of the club not part of the course.  During the project a few of us were there night and day and every Friday night we had "It's Beer Thirty" sessions.  We would send word arond the course that "it was time to pack it in, Jamieson has pizza and Beer for us above the pro shop".  And he didn't just buy it, he invited prominent members to join us and talk about the work or other related golf stories.  It was something we all looked forward to.  He would tell stories that impressed us and we would tell stories that impressed him.  It was a great way to get everyone familiar with one another. 

Hope he retires soon, so we can see him around even more often.  Oh yeah, and whenever members complain about how impossible the bunkers are, I tell them to play with Jamieson because he doesn't have ANY trouble hitting those shots !! 

Josh

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
Great story about Mr. Jamieson's pizza and beer parties during the project, Josh. That's great stuff that goes a very long way, as you know well.

When you're in the golf business, fortunate to see and play a lot of the world's great courses, some times you don't expect much. I had an unforgettable day at the Cal Club back in January 2009; played with George Waters and Tom Doak. Jim Urbina was there, too. He joined us for a few holes while driving around with Thomas Bastis. I think we were the only golfers on the course that day. Great company, and a great course. I'd heard much about the work at Cal Club before this visit; saw a lot of photos, too. But, from my perspective, you can't truly appreciate what's been done there until you get there. Talking with guys like Thomas Bastis, Mark Thawley, Josh Smith, and George Waters about the project is a bonus. And, you can't talk to anyone about the Cal Club without the name Al Jamieson coming up, either.

I've heard a few people nit-pick about this and that, which is typical. But, the big picture improvement at Cal Club is absolutely incredible. If you get a chance, try to track down some more 'before' photos to see what I mean; especially with regard to trees. Cal Club may be the most impressive tree project I've seen, never mind all of the other stuff. All of the 'junk trees' that cluttered the property are gone, revealing beautiful standings of cypress and creating gorgeous long views.

This is a wonderful story that's truly made an almost forgotten course - by comparison with some of its more famous neighbours - one of the true greats in the San Francisco area and, perhaps, the world.

Congratulations to all involved.
jeffmingay.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 11:18:54 PM »
Have they cut back the trees in front of the tees?   It's been years since I played there, but I can clearly recall it was really easy to nail a tree with a tee shot 80 yards out.   No fun. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »
I had the good fortune of meeting Al a few years back and you could not meet a nicer gentleman.

Both he and the other Cal Club personnel I met on that day truly made me feel like long lost friends. The visit was one of the highlights of my trip. The passion he showed for his club is amazing as is the story of the resoration.

With respect to SFGC and Olympic - I dont think there is a better place to play golf in San Francisco.

Thanks for the interview Ran.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 10:02:31 AM »
Bill

I did a quick synopsis back in 2009 - they did a fair bit of tree clearing.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43587.0.html

Howard Riefs

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »
Another wonderful interview.  Cal Club certainly looks to be a special place.

Bill

I did a quick synopsis back in 2009 - they did a fair bit of tree clearing.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43587.0.html

1,800 trees were cleared, according to the Jamieson interview. Sounds like it was much needed ... and appreciated.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »
Great interview, thanks.  He seems like a true gentleman.

Played Cal Club almost exactly a year ago and loved it. 

David Kelly

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »
I met Mr. Jamieson and he seemed like a great guy.  He and his committee have a lot to be proud of with the new Cal Club course.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
I was fortunate enough to meet, play and have dinner with Mr. Jaimeson during my visit to Cal Club in November of 2010.  I received a PhD on Cal Club's history/renovation/restoration that day.  

I agree with Kyle, it's the best club in town.  Congrats again to the Cal Club and Mr. Jaimeson!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:33:40 AM by Ron Csigo »
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »
Wow! Great interview and great story.  The place looks incredible from your write up.  Its great to hear more about the story on how the renovation/restoration came to be and the man behind it.

Great stuff!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 09:33:52 PM »
Talk about great leadership.  Thanks, Ran, for this interview.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
On my initial visit, way back in '96, it was whispered Cal Club was the best, of the local "big 3". One just had to unearth it from it's decades of keeping up with the times. (ponds, trees and rough)  the guy that whispered it... Roger, now in Santa Barbra.

On a recent visit, the course had moments where many feelings were palpable. Thanks to the journey and variety.

Good on ya', Al, and Cal. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back