News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Bandon Dunes is "Merely Adequate"
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:59:46 PM »
Clearly, Ron Whitten got hit in the head by an errant golf shot. 

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2012/01/the-tao-of-steve.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Sam Morrow

Re: Bandon Dunes is "Merely Adequate"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »
I read that earlier and was waiting for the backlash.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »
See...it really should be bulldozed!!   ;D
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:05:21 PM »
So, this
So as a New Year’s resolution, I’ve decided to embrace the Steve Jobs Quest for Perfection, and thus forego any sugarcoating.

Means more quotes like this?:
None of the bathroom sinks has a stopper, so I can’t fill the basin with water. But I hate to let the faucet run continuously while I shave, wasting precious water down the drain.

::)
H.P.S.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »
I think Digest was simply looking for a dissenting opinion on Bandon and Whitten had to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »
So, this
So as a New Year’s resolution, I’ve decided to embrace the Steve Jobs Quest for Perfection, and thus forego any sugarcoating.

None of the bathroom sinks has a stopper, so I can’t fill the basin with water. But I hate to let the faucet run continuously while I shave, wasting precious water down the drain.

Dude...if I don't have a good stopper in the bathroom sink...I'm VERY disappointed.  VERY!!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:10:25 PM »
If that's not a nit-picking article, then I don't know what the hell is.

Sinks without stoppers?  Wait staff trying to keep up with morning rush hour coffee and bagels?  That's the best he could do?

And since when is 18 at PD anti-climatic.  That's one of the best holes on the course and my fav par 5.

Please....

...Ron Whitten couldn't even carry Mike K's jock strap.  Let see Ron ball up and make something even 1/4th as good as the resort.  Very lame analysis!!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »
If Bandon had a Waffle House and stoppers would it be the best resort in the world?

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »
So, this

Dude...if I don't have a good stopper in the bathroom sink...I'm VERY disappointed.  VERY!!!

Who shaves when they're on a guys golf trip?
H.P.S.

Alex Miller

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 02:15:53 PM »
I think if you come into a place with this sort of attitude, this is the result you can expect. I don't think any of the guys at the KP had this experience, but then again all of us were there to enjoy ourselves and take advantage of the golf that is there.

This article is probably more a reflection of the man than it is the resort.

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »
I'd like to ask him if it ain't the best golf resort in the world, what's better?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »
Heaven forbid Mr. Whitten ever plays The Old Course and stays in an affordable B&B while he's there. He'd label the entire St. Andrews experience "Mediocre Golf at Best". Especially if he doesn't locate that place that serves cold Budweiser.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »
I would hope this is just a byproduct of "Its January, its off season, no one is interested in golf right now, so I'm going to publish this terd"

...but if this is the future of Golf Digest "journalism", then I guess its time to cancel the subscription.  Oh wait I already did a few years back!!  ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 02:33:27 PM »
This reads like a Golfweek review of Erin Hills.  It has been a long boring bitter feud every since Whitten wrote that he preferred Gillette Ridge to Wintonbury Hills.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 02:43:01 PM »
If Bandon had a Waffle House and stoppers would it be the best resort in the world?

I was about to answer when I figured out this was likely a rhetorical question.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »

I was about to answer when I figured out this was likely a rhetorical question.

Bogey

It was, Waffle House makes everything better.

Michael George

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
In honor of Ran's 2012 post, everyone is entitled to his opinion and certainly he has seen more golf courses than me.  Further, I respect his knowledge on golf course architecture.  However, I could not disagree more on each of his points.

First, I question the reason for his post.  Egos obviously come into play with people in his position.  To my knowledge, he has never been consulted on anything Bandon.  Did he get upset that Brad Klein was consulted on Old MacDonald and not him?  I have no idea, but it certainly appears that he has an agenda with this article.  

Now with respect to his reviews of the courses, what is the problem with the wetland on #13 at Bandon Dunes or #17 at Old Macdonald?  I simply don't understand why having a water hazard is a problem?  No strategy at Pacific Dunes?  What would he call #6 and #16?  You have tons of options on both holes.  As I have said before, I think #14 at Bandon Trails is a litmus test for people - if you don't like it, you are a "fair" or "test" guy and if you do like it , you are a "fun" or "options" guy - it is my favorite hole on that course.  Being that Golf Digest has always rated difficult courses higher than fun courses, I assume Ron is a "test" guy.  Lastly, if he says an opportunity was missed at Old Mac, tell us where he would have done it and what holes would have to be changed.  If he would change #7 or #15, then I think he is wrong.   I am sure that Tom would have loved the hole he mentions, but the routing has to work together and he has to give up something.

Re: the accomdations, I stayed at the Lily Pond, the cheapest rooms they have and I thought they were much nicer than the reviews.   In addition, Bandon has never sold itself as a spa.  It is about the golf.  I don't need flowers or bath robes in my room.

Same with the food and food service.  The food is good, especially the breakfasts and the service was fine.  However, again, Bandon does not try to be a 5 star restaurant with ala carte service. Also, I don't know if he ever ate at Pacific Dunes, which has a great and diverse menu.  Their food is everything I need without fluff that just costs more.

Lastly, he may have a point on the caddies.  Our group of 28 had 3-4 great caddies - Harry Lusk, Pat Fox, Adam Araneo - and many ok caddies.  However, a couple of the caddies had real attitudes and almost seemed to think that they were doing us a favor by carrying the bag.  Unfortunately, I was unable to use Joe for my trip.

In sum, I just don't think Ron understands the purest appeal to Bandon.  Maybe he has been pampored too long on visits to other places.  Kind of like the choice between country clubs.  Do you want the place with a great golf course and laid back approach with a modest clubhouse or do you want the blue blood club which the huge clubhouse and "social be seen" atmosphere.  I wonder what he would say about the club I play at where they leave large steaks in a cooler and you have to cook it yourself on the grille.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:50:04 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »
A couple of months back Matty G wrote about the reasons he loved Bandon, I don't have it in front of me but he said the food and lodging was as good as it needed to be.

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 02:51:16 PM »
The lodging is excellent IMO and very well designed.  The food could be better, but has improved significantly since my first visit.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »

Krispy Kreme?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »
Golly, I like Bandon Dunes.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »

Do you guys have stoppers in the sinks?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »

They have these shinny mirror things in the shower to use when shaving, stoppers not needed.

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »
Clearly, Ron Whitten got hit in the head by an errant golf shot.  

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2012/01/the-tao-of-steve.html

caddies who keep play moving?-hallelujah!!!!!
So because they're being "paid by the golfers" they should disregard pace of play and hold up the game like we see on tour and at so many rich guy clubs.
His criticism of the caddies("marshalls in coveralls") is the single best thing I've ever seem written about caddies at a resort.
So not only does he not share my opinion about what's important at golf destination, he's a slow player as well.

I've never used a stopper on a drain, and I shave every day-what's it for?
Turning water on and off-man that's an inconvenience.....

Tom Doak, one of the premier architects of our time, and one of the most well traveled critics/architects used to be in charge of GOLF's Magazine's list.
And this guy's is in charge of Golf Digests'?
Really?

He'd last about 1/2 a day on one of my golf trips ;) ;) ;D ::) ::)

You've got 4 and 1/2 of the best courses in the world, and you're worried about breakfast, a stopper, or your room?
in the middle of nowhere?  Go to Kohler!!!::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
No doubt they've got quality stoppers
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 01:08:51 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Eric Smith

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 03:05:03 PM »

I advise you to not answer that Chris for fear of persecution.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back