News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stewart Naugler

Re: You have to love Waialae CC
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 10:09:28 PM »
It would be a dream come true to have Waialae restored by Tom or Silva...

Damn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 11:38:04 PM »
It would be a dream come true to have Waialae restored by Tom or Silva...

Damn

I really don't know how good it could be.   That is one very flat piece of land.   Some variety in terrain would seem to be necessary for a decent Raynor.   

JC Jones

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 07:57:07 AM »
Certainly Doak or Silva would make a helluva lot more sense than C&C.  It could probably be as good as other Raynors on flat sites like Charleston or Yeamans.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »
I think we have a few other fine architects on here that could restore this into a fine Raynor. Flat is not a bad thing except on a woman with a poor tush.

Jud_T

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
When you look up "GCA mental masturbation" in the dictionary....I don't recall it being very memorable or a great piece of land, and somewhat hemmed in, although I suppose you could fell all the trees and have a bunch of Japanese tourists hitting into one another.  Maybe a couple decent greens left.   I may be getting senile but I could have sworn George Bahto said somewhere that some of the land had been lost at some point in history.  All I remember is being pissed that I hadn't convinced my wife and kids to go to Kapalua instead...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 05:37:35 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 01:52:23 PM »
I thought about the terrain being flat but to me it's a dream come true anytime you can restore a Raynor to it's original intent. That alone would be enough for me to plan a golf trip to the islands.

I can't imagine anyone not selecting Doak or Silva to restore any Raynor design.

JC Jones

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 02:44:09 PM »
Probably should include Urbina on that list as well.  My bad for excluding him.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2012, 03:22:03 PM »
Flat...boring...not even all that scenic.  I would imagine is was just as flat and boring after Raynor built it.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 03:32:52 PM »

Absolutely JC! Go Green!

JC Jones

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »

Absolutely JC! Go Green!

How was year 1 at OFCC?  Hopefully you didnt go to the game yesterday.

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
It was great! I've heard we were in the best condition of any club in the city and it wasn't the easiest year to grow grass. I've also made a lot of new connections if you ever want to get out and play a few holes.

I was at the game...

Let's just focus on beating UofM! Man they looked bad yesterday...

Iowa?

George_Bahto

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
"Its about as mysterious as a clogged toilet would be to a plumber"

good one

I was thinking it a course run over by a huge bleckavator (sic) ( a rototiller)  followed closely by a huge steamroller

sad - that plan was so good
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
"Its about as mysterious as a clogged toilet would be to a plumber"

good one

I was thinking it a course run over by a huge bleckavator (sic) ( a rototiller)  followed closely by a huge steamroller

sad - that plan was so good

Hi George.    Do you think there was enough elevation change on that site to create good template holes?   I walked it many years ago (1966), and remember it as dead flat.   Hard to envision a good hog back, Alps, or Redan without 10' of change, and I don't recall that much at all.

JC Jones

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »
Bill,

More flat than Chicago GC?

George_Bahto

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 10:23:29 AM »
Bill - great courses were built by Raynor and Banks on flat land: Yeamans Hall etc

Banks built Waialae - Raynor designed it just before he died and never saw ground broken, as far as I can tell.

The flat farmland where Banks built Forsgate is a sight to behold. You would think it was quite a rolling-hills type property.

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
Bill,

More flat than Chicago GC?

Chicago GC is to the Rockies as Waialae is to Low Country SC.   The first green, 17th green and 2nd and 18th tees are on a nice hill.   The 12th green and 6th green and 7th and 13th tees are on a nice if smaller hill.  The Redan #7 sits on a nice landform.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »
I hosted a member of Waialae a few years ago at Olympic.  According to him, that membership has no interest in Raynor or any classic elements he placed into the course.  They like resort style, cart golf.  They would love it if Fazio or Nicklaus came in and bulldozed the course and put a waterfall on every hole.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 05:40:37 PM »
I have to love it? Really? Because I find the course as is to be one of the least interesting to watch all year on tour. I'd love a reno to be done and make it actually look and play like a Raynor.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 11:22:37 PM »
Matt wait to the west coast swing is over before you toss out the bored line.  I think boring is when the tour hits , Scottsdale, PGA National and South Florida, New Orleans, Houston etc. I am not bored in the least the last two weeks. The potential there gives one wonderful dreams of what can be. The only thing better than a Raynor course is a Raynor course on the ocean. Kapalula was just wonderful as well. Is it Pebble or Riviera, of course not?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back