News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: A course you plan to play in 2012 and why
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2012, 10:54:57 AM »
(hopefully) Chicago Golf...cause I still havent had the pleasure!

If Paul is not able to grab access to Chicago Golf in 2012 it will become my grail for 13.  The only course I deeply desire to play this year is the new Doak at Dismal simply because it will not be finished.  The 18 holes I played in 11 were the most fun I had all year.  I thought I had two holes in one and they didn't even cut holes.

Jeff Tang

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
Old Mac and Bandon Trails.  This will be my second trip to Bandon but my first time there were only two courses.  Really interested to see Old Mac after seeing the USGA amateur pub links there on TV which looked phenomenal.
So bad it's good!

Brandon Urban

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »
I'm really looking forward to the 5th Major at Dismal. Excited to see the course, but also excited to get the opportunity to meet a bunch of guys from the internet... of course my awesome,understanding wife thinks I am nuts.
Planning on stopping at Wildhorse for a couple of days and wherever else the car drives by on the way to Dismal.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

George Freeman

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
The Ross course at French Lick.

I just love the look of this course.  You get those great Ross qualities coupled with what appears to be lots of width, something not many Ross courses boast.  Not to mention the piece of property with all the rolling hills, etc looks amazing.  Plus big, undulating greens...

I could go on.

I would also love to get down to Pinehurst to see #2 and Dormie (and a couple others), but unfortunately I think that will have to wait for another year.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »
I'm really looking forward to the 5th Major at Dismal. Excited to see the course, but also excited to get the opportunity to meet a bunch of guys from the internet... of course my awesome,understanding wife thinks I am nuts.
Planning on stopping at Wildhorse for a couple of days and wherever else the car drives by on the way to Dismal.

Brandon,

I was just talking with some locals about this very trip.  If you want to be shocked and awed you need to play Awarii Dunes.  My friends, who are not members of GCA, have never played a course that they hated so much.  I thought it was crazy, crazy fun and am begging them to go again.  It's like playing Tobacco Road while strapped to a tilt-a-whirl.

Problem is, you need to come from the Omaha side and Denver is such a great city.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:35:57 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Jim Eder

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 11:37:27 AM »
Brahan - Because it sounds so unique and interesting and the story behind it is just fantastic so would like to meet the person who created it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »
Every time I see this uncomfortable picture of a mother and son it makes me want to return to Awarii.  I thought the clubhouse would be finished but see no evidence on the web site.

http://awariidunes.com/stay-and-play-application

Mike Tanner

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »
Jeez, this post took off like a rocket. I feel like a piker because my plan for 2012 is so modest, but based on the responses so far it looks like there'll be some great posts to read as the year unfolds.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
Jeez, this post took off like a rocket. I feel like a piker because my plan for 2012 is so modest, but based on the responses so far it looks like there'll be some great posts to read as the year unfolds.

Mike,

Starting threads like this is the surest way to get green with envy!

In my years on this site, regardless of how "sweet" you think your upcoming trip is....there will be plenty of other GCA'ers who have stuff lined up that will make your trip seem pretty vanilla!

That being said, I'm also very much looking forward to attending the 5th major as well.  It'll be my 1st time to Nebraska.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »

In my years on this site, regardless of how "sweet" you think your upcoming trip is....there will be plenty of other GCA'ers who have stuff lined up that will make your trip seem pretty vanilla!

Who cares if they will be playing alone.  Can't wait for the pics!!!

Brandon Urban

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 12:11:08 PM »
John,

After that endorsement, we will definitely make the stop at Awarii. We are actually driving from Lawrence, KS so it's on the way. I've never been to Tobacco Road, but it looks like a ton of fun. So Tobacco on a tilt-a-whirl is intriguing.

Shaping up to be a great trip. Thanks for the suggestion.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »
John,

After that endorsement, we will definitely make the stop at Awarii. We are actually driving from Lawrence, KS so it's on the way. I've never been to Tobacco Road, but it looks like a ton of fun. So Tobacco on a tilt-a-whirl is intriguing.

Shaping up to be a great trip. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brandon,

Living in Lawrence sounds great from a golf trip perspective.  If you have never played Wild Horse before it is an easy fit either coming or going.  One of the great things about Dismal is that you have to choose between Omaha and Denver.  I still have not decided.

I know that all this is unspoken but new ownership at Ballyneal just might make Denver all the better.  Can somebody say Carts.

Richard Choi

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »
I plan to play Rope Rider at Suncadia and Salish Cliff since those are two of the very few new courses that opened last year and they are all within a short driving distance from where I live. I will do a full photo tour when I get a chance.

I hope I get a chance to revisit Ballyneal after all the dust has settled...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »
I'm planning on coming in via the Denver route and playing Bayside and Wild Horse on the way there...

And then perhaps something in Denver before a PM flight back out.

Doug Wright

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »
I've been to the Mauna Kea area on the Big Island several times but have never played the RTJ Mauna Kea course; plan to do so this spring because I've heard that it has improved. I also hope to get to Royal St. George's during a visit to the English coast in June.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Scott Szabo

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »
I hope I get a chance to revisit Ballyneal after all the dust has settled...

+1
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Scott Stearns

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2012, 05:03:27 PM »
After a really blessed list in 2011, Iam going off the beaten GCA track in 2012. 

Planning on playing Split Rock in NYC---The photos posted here, coupled with an Alison course i played this year (same vintage--i know different architect) have really piqued my interest.  Fun greens are becoming my favorite part of a course, and this looks good.

Also plannng a trip to Cleveland--hellooooo CLEVELAND!  to try to play the country club, Canterbury and hopefully one of Sand Ridge/Sharon/Shaker Heights/Congress Lake.  I grew up playing parkland golf, and these type of courses remind me of that.

Brian Finn

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2012, 10:02:01 AM »
I am hoping to play several new courses this year, many of which rose up my list due to stuff I read here on gca. 

First, I am hoping to see more of my new home state's (OH)  fine courses... Short list includes OSU Scarlet (to see which side I fall on the re-do debate, and to play any Dr. Mac course, even if not much original remains), Springfield (loved CCC and Granville and hear it may be as good or better Ross than those), Scioto (have had several rounds there cancelled due to weather and work...hope it finally pans out) and Moraine (not originally on my radar, but hear a lot of love for it).  Still haven't played MVCC or the Golf Club...maybe someday.  Also hoping to get up to Cleveland at some point...long list there.

Back on LI, I have rounds lined up at The Creek (been waiting to play there since high school) and Nassau (played it only once and really want to see it again...fun course...and OT a really cool old clubhouse).  Always try to get out at Bethpage too...sentimental favorite for me, and haven't played the Red in 3 years.  Also going to head out east to play Tallgrass and hopefully a few wish list courses (if my big bro can line them up).

Finally, plan to visit my brother that moved to Omaha...we have been researching / planning a drive out to the Sand Hills with a few stops along the way.  This is top of my priority list, but subject to my bro's busy work schedule.

Hope to have the chance to meet some more gca folks this year...had the opportunity to play with a few last year, and it was great fun.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2012, 10:07:15 AM »
IF I HAD the werewithal (connections, flow, time) I'd venture NOTB to Canadia-land and play every course from St. Kits to Markham...the run of great courses from St.Catharines past Toronto to the the bedroom communities is hard to match. Right now, working on a few things up that way, mainly a little friendly competition (2 v. 2) USA/Canada...will post when it cements itself.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean Leary

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »
Toronto Golf Club. Been meaning to play it when in town and haven't made the time. Will this year.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2012, 11:59:11 AM »
Funny thing abt cent Ohio is i often have more fun on the "secondary" courses than i do on the big 4.  The big 4 are expected to be great.  There are others, if they were in another city, that would be talked about as top courses.  I'll bet you REALLY enjoy Moraine--great use of a piece of property that nobody would believe is in Ohio.  Springfield is great.

Go try Brookside Canton.  Great.  And go play Little Turtle---its not great, but its an example of Pete Dye's early work.  try to find the holes built after Pete Dye walked off the job.  

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »
I'm planning on coming in via the Denver route and playing Bayside and Wild Horse on the way there...

And then perhaps something in Denver before a PM flight back out.

Kalen:

That looks like a great lineup.  Bayside and Wild Horse should not be missed.  If you have the time, I'd recommend at least 36 at each, as there's a lot to learn at both.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Michael George

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2012, 02:59:39 PM »

Honestly, looking forward to meeting some great people more than the courses - Mountain Ridge (with some nearby course on Sunday before) and 5th Major.

Thanks to Pat and Eric for planning.  Hopefully, I can put together a NE Ohio outing.  Working on it now.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Brian Finn

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
Funny thing abt cent Ohio is i often have more fun on the "secondary" courses than i do on the big 4.  The big 4 are expected to be great.  There are others, if they were in another city, that would be talked about as top courses.  I'll bet you REALLY enjoy Moraine--great use of a piece of property that nobody would believe is in Ohio.  Springfield is great.

Go try Brookside Canton.  Great.  And go play Little Turtle---its not great, but its an example of Pete Dye's early work.  try to find the holes built after Pete Dye walked off the job.  

Thanks for the guidance, Scott.  I will definitely get to all of these that I can.  Do you live in the area?
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Scott Stearns

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »
Live in New York City.  Have family in Columbus. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back