News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T_MacWood

Re:Cape Cod.....
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2004, 06:03:39 PM »
Matt
"...deserves to be seen by those who enjoy layouts from the classic period."

Who doesn't enjoy good layouts from the "classic period"?

My three favorite holes are:

#6, a beautifully molded dogleg (kind of banked) to a nicely bunkered elevated green (there is a pond through the dogleg) -- a very cool hole.

#11, a long par-4 without a single bunker, there is a pond to the right near the green. A wildly undulating green. I believe this hole along cost something like $200,000 to build...that was a lot of money in 1926-7.

#3, a beautiful par-3 over an expanse of sand, nearly tee to green.

The course is completely flat, which IMO is its major weakness in comparison to the other top courses on the cape. The course was constructed on a swampy island and cost an outrageous amount of money to build--it is largely man-made.

The greens are not crowned...a la Pinehurst...although some are elevated or pushed up. They are however among the wildest Ross greens I have run across...they rival Canton Brookside.

The course was brutilized by a hurricane in the 40's or 50's which wiped all the tall pines that gave it a Pinehurst-like look (scrub pines now days). They also have lost the wild sandy effect that Ross invisioned--wall to wall grass today.

I'd be curious if they allow raters...I'd seriously doubt it. A few years ago I wanted only to take a look around and couldn't even get on the island. I even had my brother-in-law who had many political contacts call one of the Kennedy's (because I had read that grand pa Joe had been a member), this Kennedy laughed and said he couldn't get on the island. As a kid he and some of his siblings/relatives road their bikes up to the gate to volunteer as a caddies--they were told to hit the road.

I was lucky enough to hook up with the club historian...a wonderful old gentleman who started the Boston to Provincetown airline. At the end of our day he introduced me to a fellow member who took me out for a game...this guy's father was one the founders of ANGC.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 12:22:55 AM by Tom MacWood »

Dave_Miller

Re:Cape Cod.....
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2004, 06:12:58 PM »
Any thoughts on Hyannisport CC?
Is it really an old Ross gem?

OT for the cape - What are the thoughts out there on Rhode Island CC?

thanks.
Tom

Excellent Golf Course.  Good routing.  Very good challenge.  Several terrific holes along the ocean.  Great track if one can get an invite to play.
Best
Dave

JLahrman

Re: Cape Cod.....
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 06:09:26 PM »
Hi team,

I went looking for some old Cape Cod golf reviews/advice, this is as close as I could find (apart from one that devolved into arguments about asking for access).

I'll be in Boston in June for my brother's wedding. My family will probably be heading out to Cape Cod for a week afterwards, which will be nice family time since we're spread out all around the country. My two brothers and I each play golf. If there are some good public options to play on Cape Cod, I wouldn't mind bringing my clubs along. But I'm not interested in paying to take my clubs from San Francisco to Boston for one or two rounds of mediocre golf, and I'm sure my brother who will be coming in from Houston feels the same way.

It looks like most of the highly recommended options are private, anything public worth playing or should I leave the clubs at home?

Thanks for any advice.

David Hendler

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
Hi team,

I went looking for some old Cape Cod golf reviews/advice, this is as close as I could find (apart from one that devolved into arguments about asking for access).

I'll be in Boston in June for my brother's wedding. My family will probably be heading out to Cape Cod for a week afterwards, which will be nice family time since we're spread out all around the country. My two brothers and I each play golf. If there are some good public options to play on Cape Cod, I wouldn't mind bringing my clubs along. But I'm not interested in paying to take my clubs from San Francisco to Boston for one or two rounds of mediocre golf, and I'm sure my brother who will be coming in from Houston feels the same way.

It looks like most of the highly recommended options are private, anything public worth playing or should I leave the clubs at home?

Thanks for any advice.

Cape Cod National is a private course which offers public access IF you stay in the adjacent hotel/inn. 

http://www.capecodnational.net/welcome.php

Cape Cod national is a private golf club dedicated to serious golfers and the only public access is limited to overnight guests of the Wequassett Resort & Golf Club - www.wequassett.com

JLahrman

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 07:11:21 PM »
Thanks David...I doubt that I would be interested in staying at that resort but I will look into it.

John Foley

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »
The Captains in Brewster is solid. Good golf over good terrain - will be busy but I like it. Close by is Cranberry Vally and again solid golf. I would avoid Ocean's Edge - it's overrated!

Off the cape (biut close) in Plymouth is Waverly Oaks which is probably the best architecture wise in the area. Lots of fun and some very good golf holes.

If you are therefor a week and want to play I would recommend it. If your busy and have other obligations the WOW factor is low but the enjoyment factor is there.
Integrity in the moment of choice

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 08:04:28 PM »
Jlahrman-

If you like-
low key links golf
blasting driver
Buying beers from the pro in his shop
killer views of the Atlantic Ocean
Public golf

Then go play Highland Links. June should be a good as it is just a few weeks away from prime time.

I will try to post a few pictures.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:32:59 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

David Hendler

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »
Another great public just off-Cape is Pinehills.

Tim Martin

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 08:37:23 PM »
Although private I believe you could access New Seabury CC(Ocean) which is an early 60`s William Mitchell design. Some great holes on the water and always in terrific shape.

David Hendler

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 08:42:35 PM »
New Seabury (Ocean) is a great course and can be accessed by resort guests and I think to non-resort guests if booked with enough advanced notice.

jeffwarne

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »
Jlahrman-

If you like-
low key links golf
blasting driver
Buying beers from the pro in his shop
killer views of the Atlantic Ocean
Public golf

Then go play Highland Links. June should be a good as it is just a few weeks away from prime time.

I will try to post a few pictures.

Cranberry Valley-solid
Dennis Pines-solid
Highland Links-make the drive and just do it

sneak onto Eastward Ho ;D
Seriously,Have your pro write a nice letter, or write one yourself-well worth the effort-still off season
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
I heartily recommend Waverly Oaks; Plymouth is a short drive over the Cape cod Canal; plenty for the family to do there while you're golfing too. Heres a link to a photo tour:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,15211.msg259478.html#msg259478

Cranberry Valley is a small step below that but much better than the Captains; I was perplexed at what draws people there? I have not played it since they added the new 18 though.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

JLahrman

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »
Gents,

Thanks for all the advice and please keep adding input.

My wife and I will be bringing a ton of crap with us due to having what will be a 9-month-old daughter by June, so I'll already be packing heavy. Not sure I can work golf into this, but if nothing else it's good to have an update on Cape Cod options.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »
Thanks David...I doubt that I would be interested in staying at that resort but I will look into it.

Joel, I think New Seabury is public, I've had some fun, windy golf there.   I do see on their website that they say it's private, but the riff raff who took me definitely weren't members!   That was in 1994, maybe it's turned private since then.

http://www.newseabury.com/CountryClub.aspx

jeffwarne

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »
Gents,

My wife and I will be bringing a ton of crap with us due to having what will be a 9-month-old daughter by June, so I'll already be packing heavy. Not sure I can work golf into this, but if nothing else it's good to have an update on Cape Cod options.

Strap the kid in tight up top so the clubs don't get wet ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 05:55:21 PM »

Joel, I think New Seabury is public, I've had some fun, windy golf there.   I do see on their website that they say it's private, but the riff raff who took me definitely weren't members!   That was in 1994, maybe it's turned private since then.

http://www.newseabury.com/CountryClub.aspx

Bill,

When I lived back there, they let the general public play in the off season, starting in Sept or Oct.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

JLahrman

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 06:03:31 PM »
I definitely match the riff-raff requirement.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 07:04:22 AM »
Gents,

You could always Fed x the clubs to Cape Cod and back

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back