News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Architects, in what ways have you been influenced....
« on: January 10, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
....by the likes of Tillie, Mac or Colt? Have you ever found yourself having to make a difficult decision and asking yourself, 'What would Mac have done here?' Or, have you encountered a piece of ground which closely resembled, say, the 8th at St George's Hill and said to yourself, 'Whatever I do I must not build a replica of the 8th at St George's Hill?' 

Lester George

Re: Architects, in what ways have you been influenced....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
Mark,

After doing Cavalier G&YC (Banks) in which I used his original routing as a "guide" to recreating the things he either intended or got taken out over the years, I found myself much more concerned with thinking "what would CBM or Raynor do when I embarked on the 5 year process of restoring the Old White. 

Lester

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »
Mark,

Well, Mac bunkers are the gold standard (or at least tied with Billy Bell) and many of us have been quoted as saying we are trying to emulate those.

Colt greens have influenced me, as KN always put the mounds on the inside corners of greens, and playing an old Colt course years ago, I noticed rounder greens, with the high points on the outside curves, which gave a nicer rolling edge effect.

I have built about a dozen of the Raynor templates over the years.

I believe most architects, whether they care to admit it or not, store golf hole ideas in their heads, waiting for the perfect opportunity to use the principles of some great or at least favorite hole, by finding the perfect land.  After a few years in the biz, certain land forms just suggest certain holes that have been done before. 

Its harder for me to pinpoint a routing concept that has influenced me, other than the "triangulation" routing of Muirfield, and in a few cases, the inside-outside loop routing I first encountered at Medinah No. 2 (one of the first courses I played)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »
Mark,

When there is a complicated or eccentric bit of land in play I find myself asking "what is similar to this" which is an attempt to discover what are my options? It has nothing to do with architects and everything to do with shuffling through the collection of ideas you assemble as you see other architects work.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »
Mark,

Well, Mac bunkers are the gold standard (or at least tied with Billy Bell) and many of us have been quoted as saying we are trying to emulate those.

Colt greens have influenced me, as KN always put the mounds on the inside corners of greens, and playing an old Colt course years ago, I noticed rounder greens, with the high points on the outside curves, which gave a nicer rolling edge effect.

I have built about a dozen of the Raynor templates over the years.  Biarritz at the Wilderness!

I believe most architects, whether they care to admit it or not, store golf hole ideas in their heads, waiting for the perfect opportunity to use the principles of some great or at least favorite hole, by finding the perfect land.  After a few years in the biz, certain land forms just suggest certain holes that have been done before. 

Its harder for me to pinpoint a routing concept that has influenced me, other than the "triangulation" routing of Muirfield, and in a few cases, the inside-outside loop routing I first encountered at Medinah No. 2 (one of the first courses I played). The inside-outsidebrouting was there at Muirfield too!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back