News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

I think you'll enjoy this new article:
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/0cfd5be2#/0cfd5be2/46

The website has a curious interface - just hover your cursor over the page and click - then it magnifies so you can read it.

PCCraig

Re: New Lee Pace article on Southern Pines GC - featuring your GCA host
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »
Great stuff Chris, thanks for posting.

The article does a great job of capturing the essence of the course, which is a fun, low-key public course which also happens to have a great design pedigree. It gets lost in the shuffle of all the great courses in the area, and it's hard to convince traveling golfers to play a short town course. However, when I visited with a couple friends we all really enjoyed it a lot, plus it's very reasonable making it a great value.
H.P.S.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »
Who owns the third nine that has gone to seed?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
I think you'll enjoy this new article:
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/0cfd5be2#/0cfd5be2/46

The website has a curious interface - just hover your cursor over the page and click - then it magnifies so you can read it.

Ran's final line about how "if this is not your cup of tea, then golf isn't your cup of tea" says it all.
Sounds like Palmetto or Aiken GC

Regarding the interface.....Is it a bad thing I clicked on the "Cool Sweats" add first? ;D ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chris Buie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 01:22:41 PM »
Hi Pat, always nice to hear from you.
I sort of hesitate to publicize the course because its the one I mainly play. For my own personal interest I'm not really keen to see it get packed with guests! But it certainly deserves higher regard than it gets. I believe that if a few things happened it would go from a "very good to play" to "you really must see this".
As I was saying to Jeff Loh last night, a very serious tree thinning program - combined with the new #2 native aesthetics and playability...well if that happened properly it would be stunning. I'll get some photos up when I get the chance to show you what I mean.
By the way, Kris Shriner knows this course and is very knowledgeable about how trees relate to a golf course. I had the pleasure of touring the course with him last year. Actually, he would be a good guy for any club considering tree thinning to consult with.

Hi Michael. Both are owned by the Elks Club and managed by Avestra. A fourth nine was routed but apparently never put into play. A few of those corridors still exist.

jeff, I'm pretty sure you weren't the only one considering the merits of the Cool Sweats ad.  ;)

Mike Tanner

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Sounds like a good walk, unspoiled.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
I was surprised to find a March 1909 issue of The American Golfer that had a brief item about Southern Pines, accompanied by a picture purportedly of the "Fifth Green".  The news item reported that the winter's season had been so successful at Southern Pines, plans were underway for adding another 9 holes.  I have played Southern Pines on a number of occasions and always thought it was a course developed in the early 1920s.  From this American Golfer article, it is apparent that golf existed there as early as 1908.  Did Ross create that course in stages?

It is a terrific golf course.  I have played Mid-Pines and Pine Needles, but Southern Pines is the only one of the three where I can replay the course in my mind.  Each hole has a distinct character. 

Ronald Montesano

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Chris Buie

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »
Ed, the origin of the course is a little mysterious. A guy wrote an interesting piece about that which you can read here:
http://southernpinesgc.com/the-golf/course-history

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »
As I was saying to Jeff Loh last night, a very serious tree thinning program - combined with the new #2 native aesthetics and playability...well if that happened properly it would be stunning. I'll get some photos up when I get the chance to show you what I mean.
By the way, Kris Shriner knows this course and is very knowledgeable about how trees relate to a golf course. I had the pleasure of touring the course with him last year. Actually, he would be a good guy for any club considering tree thinning to consult with.

I loved my only visit to the course in 2009, but certain holes did make me feel a little claustrophobic.  I attributed part of it to defending the short course against the modern game, but it would be great to open things up a little.  Stunning would be an apt description.

I am planning a trip to Pinehurst this spring, and Southern Pines will certainly be on the agenda.  Ideally, I will have my new set of Hickory Clubs by then and perhaps arrange a game with Ran.

Chris Buie

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »
Kevin this rendering gives you an idea of what it would look like opened up. I wouldn't recommend cutting down all the trees - have a few dotted here and there. But having it opened up a lot more is one of the things that would take the place to an entirely different level.
This simulated view below is from the 5th fairway. There are a lot of other areas that would go from fairly mundane to fantastic as well.
You can scroll back and forth to get the full image.

Craig Disher

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 05:07:55 PM »
The true origin of SPCC is one of those stories that may never be resolved although it's good to see people are still trying.  My take is that the early 9-holer (pre 1920s) didn't share the same ground as the current course. Here are some photos that led me to that assumption.

A pre-1920 (1908?) postcard of the 5th green at SP.

Another view of the same green, taken in 1909. Note the golfers standing below and behind the green. Are they on another green or the tee for the 5th? This topography is not to be found anywhere near the current 5th green - or anywhere else I can think of on the current course.

A view of the first tee and clubhouse - pre-1920.

The clubhouse in 1919 - same as the one shown in the postcard above.

A view of an unknown hole at SP. The postcard doesn't say specifically that it's SPCC but it appears to be the same vintage as the others, particularly the one of the first tee and the clubhouse. This topography doesn't exist anywhere on the current course.

Lastly, Aymar Embry's beautiful clubhouse which was located approximately between the current one and the Elks meeting hall.

Steve Lang

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 11:10:37 PM »
 8) Always our first play on Sunday in Southern Pines/Aberdeen/Pinehurst area since 1980.. old time religion..   
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back