News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Re: Rustic Canyon: Can I Please Be Linked to a Good Photo Tour
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 11:42:48 PM »
An updated Rustic photo tour sounds like an assignment for the fearless Kyle Henderson & his trusty camera!

+1

You guys realize he lives about 350 miles away right? : )

I'm glad to hear that Angeles National gets a lot of play, if there is any hope for future Los Angeles area golf course to be built we need all the courses to be successful. 

RC has never gotten old for me.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

David Kelly

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 11:44:14 PM »

I'm probably about 450 to 1 in plays between Rustic and Angeles National.

At least you're willing to mix it up!

Think about how your golf allocation would change if HH was 40 minutes from your house.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
An updated Rustic photo tour sounds like an assignment for the fearless Kyle Henderson & his trusty camera!

+1

You guys realize he lives about 350 miles away right? : )

We do David but distance doesn't seem to be an issue for the Great Man.
And I hear there's good company to keep at RC too  :)

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

David Kelly

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »
One downside of Rustic Canyon are there are a number of days in the winter when you get a forecast like this.

"Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 72. Windy, with a northeast wind between 30 and 35 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. "

WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT SATURDAY NIGHT TO 4 PM  PST SUNDAY...  THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LOS ANGELES/OXNARD HAS ISSUED A  WIND ADVISORY FOR THE SAN FERNANDO AND VENTURA COUNTY VALLEYS.  THIS ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT SATURDAY NIGHT TO 4 PM  PST SUNDAY.  * WINDS... GUSTY NORTHEAST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH WILL  DEVELOP ON SATURDAY NIGHT AND PERSIST THROUGH MOST OF SUNDAY.  LOCAL GUSTS TO 60 MPH ARE POSSIBLE IN THE HILLS.  * TIMING... GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS WILL DEVELOP ON SATURDAY NIGHT  AND PERSIST THROUGH MOST OF SUNDAY.  * IMPACTS... GUSTY CROSS WINDS WILL CREATE HAZARDS FOR MOTORISTS ON  AREA ROADWAYS... ESPECIALLY THOSE DRIVING HIGH-PROFILE VEHICLES.  HIGHWAYS LIKELY IMPACTED BY GUSTY SANTA ANA WINDS WILL BE  HIGHWAYS 23... 101... AND 118.  PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...  A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WINDS OF 35 MPH OR GREATER ARE  EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT..

DMoriarty

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 05:58:49 PM »
WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT..

Don't I know it.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

DMoriarty

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »
I don't walk so my ratio's are a little more realistic. 5-5, love both courses and they are by far the best publics in the LA area. Angeles is tougher in my opinion and Rustic has more character, but both are very good courses.

I know it is a matter of opinion as to both quality and "the LA area" but while I see a large gap in quality between Rustic and Angeles, I don't see a large gap between Angeles and the rest.   In fact I don't think I'd place Angeles Crest above the handful of decent Curley Schmidt designs in the area. For that matter, in terms of character and an enjoyable round I am not even sure I'd place it above some of the old muni's in the area. Give me a round at Santa Anita or even Rancho Park anytime over Angeles National.

As for the ratios,  I am not sure that I'd characterize the opinions of those who actually make the choice on a weekly basis as "unrealistic." It doesn't get much more realistic than actually putting one's money down and playing every week.   Even if walking was allowed at Angeles, I don't think my ratio would change much if at all.  But to each his own.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:15:19 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

David Kelly

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 07:19:14 PM »
I don't walk so my ratio's are a little more realistic. 5-5, love both courses and they are by far the best publics in the LA area. Angeles is tougher in my opinion and Rustic has more character, but both are very good courses.

I know it is a matter of opinion as to both quality and "the LA area" but while I see a large gap in quality between Rustic and Angeles, I don't see a large gap between Angeles and the rest.   In fact I don't think I'd place Angeles Crest above the handful of decent Curley Schmidt designs in the area. For that matter, in terms of character and an enjoyable round I am not even sure I'd place it above some of the old muni's in the area. Give me a round at Santa Anita or even Rancho Park anytime over Angeles National.

As for the ratios,  I am not sure that I'd characterize the opinions of those who actually make the choice on a weekly basis as "unrealistic." It doesn't get much more realistic than actually putting one's money down and playing every week.   Even if walking was allowed at Angeles, I don't think my ratio would change much if at all.  But to each his own.  

Yeah my 450-1 ratio has nothing to do with walking and Angeles National is definitely not my second choice for public golf in the LA area behind Rustic Canyon. Probably not in the top ten.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back