News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Just an open question to everyone here. I'm just curious as to who on here either sits, or once sat, on their Club's Green Committee. Would be interesting to hear how long you served, any major (or minor) projects you might of partially oversaw, if you enjoyed your time on the Committee, as well as any additional thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
H.P.S.

Terry Lavin

Re: Who on GCA has served on their Club/Course's Green Committee?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:52:57 PM »
Being on a club committee is a good thing to do, just to get educated about certain aspects of club management.  Being on the Board, on the other hand, is largely a fool's errand, in my judgment, but most good guys make that mistake at some point in their "career" as a member at a private club.  I plead guilty in that regard!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »
I was a board member for seven years, including four as Grounds Chair. During my term we re-built our dam, dredged the pond, and installed a new irrigation system. We also continued a tree pruning/removal program started by my predecessor and developed a master plan, approved by membership, for restoration of our course to re-capture lost features. Made more friends than I lost (I think...)

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
I served in the following capacities:
Chairman of Greens and Grounds
Chairman of Capital Fund Committee
President of the Board of Governors

As Cap Fund Chairman I was able to influence the movement of funds for the following:
Resurface tee boxes with Zoysia.
Wrap all bunkers with Zoysia.
Rebuild three greens to USGA specs.
In all, I was able to direct over $300,000 in upgrade activities. Needless to say, it was great fun. One needs credibility with membership and management. Not easy when you think about it. My only regret was not getting enough trees cut down.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »
I served in the following capacities:
Chairman of Greens and Grounds
Chairman of Capital Fund Committee
President of the Board of Governors

As Cap Fund Chairman I was able to influence the movement of funds for the following:
Resurface tee boxes with Zoysia.
Wrap all bunkers with Zoysia.
Rebuild three greens to USGA specs.
In all, I was able to direct over $300,000 in upgrade activities. Needless to say, it was great fun. One needs credibility with membership and management. Not easy when you think about it. My only regret was not getting enough trees cut down.

Funny you mention the tree cutting issue.  I was on the committee at one club that cut down 800 trees and the chairman of another club's committee that cut down even more.  There's nothing more exciting, in the world of a committee member, than seeing a tree get cut down that opens up the view of a golf hole.  At Olympia Fields, Tom Meeks of the USGA recommended cutting down a bunch of trees on our signature hole.  I looked at him like he had three heads and told him that half the members wanted to kill me as it was and he wanted me to whack trees on the best hole on the course AFTER we whacked hundreds and hundreds elsewhere.  Ultimately, I recommended, and the board accepted, that we would vote as a board on a tree by tree basis and watched as they went down in real time.  Man, that was fun.  And he was right, the hole is much improved, by the removal of a bunch of trees by a creek, which obscured views (and the hazard) of the creek and half of the green, on a 450 yard hole.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:32:07 PM »
I was a board member and golf chairman (both green and competition) at our club the year before, the year of, and the year after Hurricane Ivan in 2004.  The clubhouse was destroyed and the golf course was completely rebuilt with a new, mostly revised, routing by Jerry Pate Golf Design.

It was very interesting.    ;)

Bart Bradley

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »
I have been on the Green Committee at one of my clubs for 5 years.  I helped in finding and recruiting architects who might have been interested in a course renovation/restoration project.  We are awaiting delivery of the chosen architect's master plan.  There are certainly some elements that are fun and enjoyable but often the process is slow and frustrating.  Good luck.

Bart

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »
Greens chair for 6 years.  President for 2 during which we did a "sympathetic renovation" of our Colt & Alison course which had been changed by several architects.  Then became assistant greens chair for the last 10 years. Over the last 2 years put in XGD drainage and regrassed the greens.  But it is the greenkeeper who does the work.  We find the money, convince the membership and keep the members away so that the crew can do their jobs.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »
Being on a club committee is a good thing to do, just to get educated about certain aspects of club management.  Being on the Board, on the other hand, is largely a fool's errand, in my judgment, but most good guys make that mistake at some point in their "career" as a member at a private club. 

Terry,

Can you elaborate on your comment above? Or if it's too much information for a public forum, no worries.
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 04:33:26 PM »
Committee for six years and starting my third as co chair.  It is a strange role because the super knows much more than you do but at the same time you represent the members as both owners and customers.  I have enjoyed it and have learned a lot - probably more about what I don't know than anything.

JMEvensky

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »
Being on a club committee is a good thing to do, just to get educated about certain aspects of club management.  Being on the Board, on the other hand, is largely a fool's errand, in my judgment, but most good guys make that mistake at some point in their "career" as a member at a private club. 

Terry,

Can you elaborate on your comment above? Or if it's too much information for a public forum, no worries.

I'm not Hizzoner but,the only members who remotely understand the inner workings of a club learn them while on a committee.If every member served just a few months watching the sausage get made,a lot of problems would go away.

As to serving on a Board,I'd guess TL means that the aggravation received from fellow members is rarely worth the trouble.

Former President,Board member,Green Committee member.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 04:50:36 PM »
i served.  do it only if your Supt. is good, and membership is basically happy.   If there is member dissention, or the guy isn't good, only a club president with a lot of respect through the membership can fix it. 

C. Squier

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 05:46:15 PM »
Funny you mention the tree cutting issue.  I was on the committee at one club that cut down 800 trees and the chairman of another club's committee that cut down even more.  There's nothing more exciting, in the world of a committee member, than seeing a tree get cut down that opens up the view of a golf hole.  At Olympia Fields, Tom Meeks of the USGA recommended cutting down a bunch of trees on our signature hole.  I looked at him like he had three heads and told him that half the members wanted to kill me as it was and he wanted me to whack trees on the best hole on the course AFTER we whacked hundreds and hundreds elsewhere.  Ultimately, I recommended, and the board accepted, that we would vote as a board on a tree by tree basis and watched as they went down in real time.  Man, that was fun.  And he was right, the hole is much improved, by the removal of a bunch of trees by a creek, which obscured views (and the hazard) of the creek and half of the green, on a 450 yard hole.

Just think about how good that hole and the next would be if the trees in between were thinned out and one could see both the dynamic elevation change between parallel holes and subsequent vistas. 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 06:16:36 PM »
Just an open question to everyone here. I'm just curious as to who on here either sits, or once sat, on their Club's Green Committee. Would be interesting to hear how long you served, any major (or minor) projects you might of partially oversaw, if you enjoyed your time on the Committee, as well as any additional thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

I sat on the green committee for 1 year and it was horrible.  I really wish I never did.  It eventually made me quit the club.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 06:45:29 PM »
Pat,

I've been on Green committees at various clubs for about 50 years.
Chairman of the Green Committee,
Chairman of a renovation/restoration Committee
Board member at various clubs for about 25 years.

To properly serve a club, you must first have a passion or love for the entity/club, second, you have to be able to devote the time necessary and third, while not a requirement, it definitely helps if you're intelligent. ;D.

While not nescessarily a mandate, the smaller the committee, the more efficient the committee.
Same for Boards.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »
This is my second year on two committees at my home club - I am on both the golf committee and greens committee.  I have really enjoyed both experiences and learned a lot about the operations of the club, how things get done, and about what goes into maintaining the course and many of the challenges facing our superintendent and greens staff.

If you have some time and the interest - I would highly recommend it...

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 08:11:57 PM »
Served on the board, green committee, golf committee, captain of the golf teams, handicap chairman, restoration committee member and as the golf chairman.  Resigned in the middle of my term as golf chairman.

I will not discuss in a public forum but I will never serve again.  I just pay my bills and tip well and bitch.

Don't do it.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »
Served on the board, green committee, golf committee, captain of the golf teams, handicap chairman, restoration committee member and as the golf chairman.  Resigned in the middle of my term as golf chairman.

I will not discuss in a public forum but I will never serve again.  I just pay my bills and tip well and bitch.

Don't do it.

It's pretty much impossible to make everybody happy, but even a few would be nice!    I share your pain!    I was bitching about the speed merchants behind us last week, saying "Who the hell are they, we pay dues just like they do.".   One of my buddies said I have become a grumpy old man.    Well yeah!

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 08:26:38 PM »
Actually being on committees was fun but they are  like a gateway drug that should be avoided if you are the type of person that does not just experiment with life experiences.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »
Served 6 years on BOD at my club. Served 4 years as Grounds Chair. Hired a new Supt, was involved in sourcing a new irrigation system, suffered through the loss of 15 greens due to Winter desiccation and the re-seeding project to bring them back to life. It was a great learning experience.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Willie_Dow

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 08:28:34 PM »
Nine years at Merion.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »
At my previous club I had that honor(?) ...never again in this lifetime.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »
Tens years cap chair,failed with the Knuth point system. Ten years golf / green committee. Tens years GAP team two captain. First year on board and now have house committee. Good Lord the food issues are harder than chasing sandbaggers.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 09:01:04 PM »
Nine years at Merion.
Have you commented on the changes to 12 and 15 yet??  Quite a thread.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
Ed

Yes, I've read them all.  No comment !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back