News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

"Golf Architecture" magazine
« on: December 06, 2001, 04:11:04 PM »
:D  The Society of Australian Golf Course Architects has in the past published an annual magazine known as "The Journal", on the topic of golf course architecture. Some GCA posters will be familiar with this. This year, the magazine has been significantly redesigned, upgraded, enlarged in page numbers and rebadged as "Golf Architecture" magazine. Here in Australia it will be on sale through newsagents for A$9.95.

For overseas readers, we now have a mail subscription service that accepts credit cards. The costs for overseas subscriptions is as follows:
Issue 5, 2002      A$ 12.95
Issue 5 and 6, 2002 and 2003   A$ 25.00  (around US$13)

If you wish to order, you can do so by fax or mail. Please send us your credit card number, type of card, expiry date, name on card and your subscription requirements, ie 1 or 2 years, and we'll do the rest. Also you have to give us your name and mailing address. Within the magazine there are details also on how you can order our back issues. Please note, the credit card provider will automatically bill you back in the funds of your country, so no problems with exchange rates etc.

Post to Golf Architecture Subscriptions, PO Box 196, Brooklyn Park SA 5032 Australia
or Fax your subscription to +618 8354 2644

The magazine should be printed just before Christmas and articles include Geoff Shackelford on Temptation in design, Jeff Mingay on Stanley Thompson's strategic design abilities, Peter Thomson on cross country golf, features on the Redan and Pacific Dunes, Classic Holes of Australian Golf which features the par 3 5th at Royal Melbourne's West course, book reviews and many others. As editor, I hope you will support our little venture and I'm sure you will enjoy the reading.

Many thanks
Neil

Neil Crafter
Editor "Golf Architecture" magazine
President SAGCA
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Ran Morrissett

Re: "Golf Architecture" magazine
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2001, 06:07:19 PM »
I am familiar with The Journal and with Neil Crafter, and for U.S. $13 , this is the bargain of the century.

Everyone should jump at this no-brainer.

Cheers,

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2001, 06:37:47 PM »
The web site is located at http://www.sagca.org.au/Issue #3 is there.
Hope you don't mind the additional traffic Neil.
There didn't appear to be a way to order the journal on line, might not be a bad idea.  But I'll try my hand at faxing.
Thanks.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Lynn Shackelford

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2001, 07:36:11 PM »
;) Ran, the bargain of the century was probably in the 60's when green fees at Pebble Beach were less than $20.00.

Jeff Brauer

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2001, 07:55:55 AM »
Lynn,

Technically speaking, the Pebble Beach bargain was the bargain of the last century.  I vote this as the best bargain (so far) of the 21st century!

Jeff

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2001, 08:01:30 AM »
Neil,

Thanks for giving us notice.  I'll be sending you an email to get a copy.

For those not familiar with Neil's previous work, Ran Morrissett is exactly right in his endorsement.
Tim Weiman

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2001, 07:04:02 PM »
:D Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Firstly, the Society does not have a secure website set up for E-commerce and to be honest we can't really afford to. So if anyone wants to order online they will have to do it by emailing me and chancing it that your credit card details are not intercepted somehow. We are not able to accept any responsibility for info sent to us this way, if you choose to do it it's at your own risk. This is why we have said that ordering is to be by mail or fax.

Mark H - the article you have quoted is in the Club's possession and is dated November 1926 (not 1925). However, my searching in the State Library here in SA did not reveal this article and I believe the date written down by the club is incorrect, but not by much. Mackenzie definitely had the Cypress Point job in hand before he left for Australia. This is recorded by a number of sources.

I hope everyone who is interested orders a subscription to our magazine - I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Ran and Tim, thanks for the endorsement - the cheque is in the mail! Ran, I will send you a copy that you might like to review on these pages somewhere if you can.
Cheers
Neil   ;)

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2001, 07:04:12 PM »
:D Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Firstly, the Society does not have a secure website set up for E-commerce and to be honest we can't really afford to. So if anyone wants to order online they will have to do it by emailing me and chancing it that your credit card details are not intercepted somehow. We are not able to accept any responsibility for info sent to us this way, if you choose to do it it's at your own risk. This is why we have said that ordering is to be by mail or fax.

Mark H - the article you have quoted is in the Club's possession and is dated November 1926 (not 1925). However, my searching in the State Library here in SA did not reveal this article and I believe the date written down by the club is incorrect, but not by much. Mackenzie definitely had the Cypress Point job in hand before he left for Australia. This is recorded by a number of sources.

I hope everyone who is interested orders a subscription to our magazine - I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Ran and Tim, thanks for the endorsement - the cheque is in the mail! Ran, I will send you a copy that you might like to review on these pages somewhere if you can.
Cheers
Neil   ;)

Paul Daley

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2001, 12:00:36 AM »
Neil:

Good luck with the first issue. Really looking forward to having a read - lots of interesting contributors - if the promo is any guide.
 :)
Cheers,
Paul

PETER_G

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2001, 02:34:41 AM »
Neil - As an Australian with an emerging interest in golf course architecture, I am very interested in your well credentialed publication and shall order by fax as suggested.
For those of us who were otherwise occupied when the initial editions were published - are they still available and if so at what cost?

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2001, 01:48:01 PM »
Hi Neil.

I know Mike Clayton is a new boy on the block in the design game but I enjoy hearing his candid and honest opinions of courses.

Has he been involved with any articles in the mag and would you consider using him in the near future ?

Let me know when you're next up Brisbane way..i'd like to hook up.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2001, 03:02:42 PM »
Paul - thanks for the wishes. We were able to give your book around 1 and a half pages for its review and used 3 of David's great photos. Hope you enjoy it.

Peter G - look forward to getting your order. Inside the magazine when you get it is an order form for back issues. All four of the past issues are still available at A$7.95 per issue in Australia and A$10.00 overseas plus a mandatory back issue handling of $5.50 in Australia and $15.00 overseas. These can be ordered by credit card as for subscriptions. You can combine a back order with your subscription if you like. Thanks.

Dr Kildare - No, Mike Clayton has not contributed to this issue or any of our past ones. Mike is not a member of the Society of Australian Golf Course Architects at the present time and we naturally prioritise our own members contributions to the magazine. That is not to say that we wouldn't approach Mike or consider it if Mike approached us with an idea for an article in the future. Contributors to our magazine do so voluntarily and I know Mike writes as a paid contributor to one of the mainstream golf magazines. Will try and get together when I am in Brisbane next (not that often though). Email me direct with your contact details. Thanks.

Cheers
Neil  :D

Danny Goss

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2001, 08:12:40 PM »
Neil,

I have read the magazine over the past couple of days and I congratulate you on the layout and content. It is full of great articles and enhances my limited knowlege of this great subject.  The article on Mackenzie was enlightening and I also enjoyed the article on the "strategic use of the diagonal hazards". I will be sending my cheque for the back copies soon!

Peter Goss

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2001, 12:17:12 AM »
Couldn't agree more DannyG. I have recently been delivered the past 5 editions on the recommendations of this newsgroup and have found them all enthralling. Congratulations to those involved in a quality production and a must for ALL Australian golf clubs in my opinion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back