News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

2012 Open Comps in England/Wales
« on: January 03, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
All

This is the season to try and book a few Open Comps.  

I spotted one at PYLE & KENFIG on 12 AUGUST.  Its a 4Ball for £60 a team.  I think we have two already, is anybody interested in seeing this cracking and terribly under-rated  Welsh links for £15 a head?  Let me know.

Is anybody looking to fill a team for good, reasonably priced comps on weekends?  I may be just the guy you are looking for!

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:01:41 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

Re: 2012 Open Comps in England/Wales
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 02:51:49 PM »
There are two at Elie, one on June 9th organised by Earlsferry Thistle and one in mid August organised by The Golfhouse Club, which is quite a serious proposition and a handicap limit of 12.  Seaton Carew has an entire week in early August. Brancepeth Castle also has one. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »
I have not checked the 2012 schedule for the exact dates yet, but Golspie, Fortrose & Rosemarke and Tain usually all have Open Senior (55+) comps within a 12-15 day window in mid-May. It is a nice way to play these courses for no more than a 15 pound entry fee.     

David Nelson

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »
http://www.scottishgolf.org/go/open-competition-search
There used to be a similar facility on the EGU site (indeed, the two sites used to be twinned) but I can't find it now.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »
Deal week is always the last ten days of August finishing on bank holiday Monday. In the knockouts you get a minimum of two rounds and upto six rounds for a £50 entry fee. Midweek has a 36 hole medal as well as seniors, mixed and less formal competitions. Many clubs especially seaside clubs have open weeks and tend to be great value.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:32:46 AM »
Here is a link to the Conwy Opens, of which there are a good many:

http://www.brsgolf.com/conwy/opens_home.php

Martin Toal

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 07:26:45 AM »
Mourne Golf Club (the 'town' course that plays at Royal County Down) has a great Open Week each year in the middle of July (often the week before The Open Championship.

You get a guaranteed tee time, play with some locals usually, RCD is always set up in great condition, you play off the medal or back tees, have a chance to win something and save a bit of cash compared with the green fee into the bargain. There are singles, 4-balls and a couple of other formats during the week.

Books up fast, though!

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:32:33 AM »
All

This is the season to try and book a few Open Comps.  

I spotted one at PYLE & KENFIG on 12 AUGUST.  Its a 4Ball for £60 a team.  I think we have two already, is anybody interested in seeing this cracking and terribly under-rated  Welsh links for £15 a head?  Let me know.

Is anybody looking to fill a team for good, reasonably priced comps on weekends?  I may be just the guy you are looking for!

Ciao

Okay, advertising being completed, is there anybody actually interested in playing????

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »
Always interested in playing competitive golf.  Always interested in cheaper green fees.  So yes, but Pyle & Kenfig is an awfully long way from Newcastle.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »
Sean I'll take a spot on Pyle and Kenfig if you still have room. 

Last day of the Olympics, so on my return,  for the first time in 2 weeks I will be able to park within 5 miles of my house.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »
Sean,

I've sent you a Private Message.

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »
I hope to take a trip to GBI for one clubs's the golf weeks some day.  I imagine it would be a great way to immerse oneself in one club rather than the usual American strategy of trying to play as many name courses as possible.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »
Jason,

I think that would be a great fun, especially if you could find a club in a town somewhere that's a pleasant place to spend several days/nights in a row. The trick would be to finagle an invitation into a group competing in the team events which seem to make up the bulk of Golf Week most places. I've always figured I'd keep an ear open for any hint as to a possibility of doing so. Presumably I'm not going to find three like-minded Americans who want to accompany me and bring our own team to such a weeklong affair.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back