News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Walker

RIP Jim Huber
« on: January 02, 2012, 09:37:58 PM »
An hour after recommending his book about the 2009 British Open on another thread, I read that he has passed away this evening.  One of the classiest golf (and all sport) broadcasters out there, he'll be missed.

Howard Riefs

Re: RIP Jim Huber
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »
Very sad to hear about the sudden passing of Jim Huber.

According to reports, Huber woke with cough on Dec. 22, went to the ER on the 28th, was diagnosed with acute leukemia on 29th. "By Jan. 2, one of the nicest and most eloquent voices in sports journalism was gone. He was a young old 67," reports Scott Michaux of the Augusta Chronicle in a touching tribute:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/golf/2012-01-03/hubers-sudden-passing-sad-blow
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 09:47:47 AM »
A real loss.  I loved Mr. Huber's work.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:55:45 AM »
What I really liked about Jim Huber:

He never made himself the story.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:10:30 AM »
So sorry to hear.  I was friends with him on Facebook (I never met him) and I expected him to talk about golf.  He talked mainly about his wife Carol and his family.  When his wife was ill last year, he gave daily updates, about taking her to the doctor, hospital, etc. 

I hope he is in a better place.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
I had a chance to play golf with Jim on two occasions here in Atlanta, about a year apart. For someone as busy, well-traveled and well known as he was, he remembered our first round together and made me feel each time like I was the "celebrity." One of the most genuine, friendly and likable men I've ever met. A sad day and a great loss.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back