News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Courses Which One May Have Dismissed Rather Unfairly
« on: December 30, 2011, 06:42:22 AM »
I was going through some photo tours of mine looking for inspiration concerning possible re-visits in 2012.  Sometimes one may get it wrong on a first visit and either be pleasantly surprised or bitterly disappointed with second and third goes.  I happen to look at the tour of Borth & Ynyslas I did in 2010 and my conclusion on the course was rather dismissive.  While at £40 the green fee isn't exactly cheap, but it also isn't crazy expensive.  The town is narsty, but easily avoided.   Looking at the pix, there seems to be a lot of good stuff going on even with the road causing some butt clenching moments (no fear, as part of the green fee one buys insurance for the day).  Perhaps I was overly harsh.  Has anyone else played B&Y?  If so, what are your thoughts?

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43575.msg944040.html#msg944040

What are some courses which your gut tells you that it wasn't given a fair shake?

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Stephens

Re: Courses Which One May Have Dismissed Rather Unfairly
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:12:25 AM »
Painswick - I need an another closer look!  ;D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »
I have a tendency to dismiss Roger Rulewich courses as being overly penal and punitive. He was RTJ Senior's design guy and is responsible for the RTJ Trail in Alabama. He did a number of courses in New England, where his base of operations rests. Places like Fox Hopyard, and Saratoga National leave me with no desire to return, yet I would do so, if only to play a very forward tee, to determine if the courses are any more playable from up there.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »
I have a tendency to dismiss Roger Rulewich courses as being overly penal and punitive. He was RTJ Senior's design guy and is responsible for the RTJ Trail in Alabama. He did a number of courses in New England, where his base of operations rests. Places like Fox Hopyard, and Saratoga National leave me with no desire to return, yet I would do so, if only to play a very forward tee, to determine if the courses are any more playable from up there.

Have you played any of the courses on the Trail, and if so, what was your opinion?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:54:51 PM »
I tend to dismiss the courses of Gil Hanse because they are so poorly engineered. Actually I kind of enjoy how Rustic Canyon changes after every storm. it gives a new meaning to elasticity.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 11:56:01 PM »
I have not played the Alabama Trail courses...My comments are in reference to the ones I have played in New York and Connecticut.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 11:58:28 PM »
Didn't Rulewich do work at Yale?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 01:50:23 AM »
Crumpin-Fox in Massachusetts, I only got to like it after changing to a higher ball flight.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

J_ Crisham

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »
The Dormie Club- felt it was my least favorite Coore/Crenshaw course I have played so far. When we played in May the greens and fringe areas were in poor condition. The routing was not a fun walk with areas that could have had better footpaths in direct lines. The short par 4,3rd?, was my favorite hole. A couple of nice green complexes/bunkering on the par 3's. I probably should give it another play before writing it off as a so so course. So much great golf in Pinehurst to choose from, I question whether Dormie will make it in this tough economic downturn. The contraction of courses is certain to hit Pinehurst-will Dormie make it?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »
New Course, St Andrews which I may well have dismissed unfairly on another thread.

My father and I played Southerness back in the 1960s and as neither of us could find the fairways and spent most of the time looking in the gorse for our balls we didn't enjoy the experience. Then I played it again in the mid 80s (and several times since) and my opinion is very different. It is a very good course in an idyllic setting.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
Id like to think that I dismissed Sugarloaf Mtn too quickly because it really underwhelmed me.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Gary Slatter

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
I agree with your assessment of Rulwich, based only on his renovation of Half Moon in Jamaica.  He had a great opportunity to improve the very difficult course in 2002 (the routing would have been the easiest fix as it has 9 holes running straight east), however, when it re-opened it looked and played the same.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »
Crumpin-Fox in Massachusetts, I only got to like it after changing to a higher ball flight.

Jim-I`ve always rather liked Crumpin-Fox. There is a lot to be said for the setting and that Italian restaurant they pair it up with in the package deal. :P

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 04:57:09 PM »
Tim,
The first time I played CF was in the early '90s, and my low, port side draw did not make for a fun day (think of approaching #10, and several others, with that combination).  ;D  I've been back there (with a 'new' swing) a few times since and came to like it.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »
Tim,
The first time I played CF was in the early '90s, and my low, port side draw did not make for a fun day (think of approaching #10, and several others, with that combination).  ;D  I've been back there (with a 'new' swing) a few times since and came to like it.

Jim-I know what you mean about # 10 with that shape shot and trajectory. That said I`ve always thought that it was one of the best holes.

Ben Sims

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »
I may have dismissed Colorado Golf Club unfairly.  I played it on a day where I was hitting the ball poorly and the course is likely one of the harder golf courses C&C have built.  I also felt like it didn't transition environs as well as other highly touted "transitory" golf courses like Friars Head and Bandon Trails.  Even if the golf course didn't hit the mark on the transitions from hill to meadow, it doesn't mean the golf holes weren't really solid.  

I need to get back and see it again now that I'm hitting my driver much better and see if I still don't care for it.

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 08:14:39 AM »
Turnberry.  I tend to lean toward the opinion that it's a bit overrated due to the weight everyone puts on the scenic views.  While this may in fact be the case,  I played it in such poor conditions (40+ mph winds and constant driving rain) that I'm really not in a position to say much about it except that I survived!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Doug Wright

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
Baltray. It was a nice course but I didn't see much to get excited about on my one and only playing. Perhaps playing it the day after Royal County Down had something to do with it...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

JC Jones

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
I may have dismissed Palmetto unfairly.  Though I found it rather unremarkable except for the green in the middle of the first fairway and a really weak finishing 3 holes.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »
Merion, Pinehurst #2, San Francisco, Bandon Dunes, Crystal Downs, Lost Farm.  You live and learn.

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »
Baltray. It was a nice course but I didn't see much to get excited about on my one and only playing. Perhaps playing it the day after Royal County Down had something to do with it...

Doug

I had much the same thoughts.  Many on here highly praise Baltray (even though it rarely turns up in their lists of favourites/best) to the point where I think I must have missed the boat.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Terry Lavin

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »
Merion, Pinehurst #2, San Francisco, Bandon Dunes, Crystal Downs, Lost Farm.  You live and learn.

Was "brutal honesty" a resolution, Chip?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Shimp

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 08:02:42 PM »
Jc,
You definetely missed palmetto.  On the finish, 16 is a brutal hole truly one of the hardest par 3s in the state of sc, 17 is the toughest easy hole on the course because the green runs away (i par it much less than i shold despite having less than 150 in), 18 i grant you is light duty as long as your arent greedy off the tee.

The thing i love about palmetto is its all about how it plays not how it looks. (btw, this is in high contrast to your thread about the fazio mtn courses at least as far as mountaintop is concerned -- pretty looking but easy to score on and as straightforward as your range finder says) For instance, 16 is a popped up green in a field. The left bunker is out of play 90 pct of the time and the right bunker is a great miss that you rarely get in.  The green is simple but devilish and hitting it requires a hgh soft ball from 210 but it doesnt look like a tough or interesting hole.  You also wont par much from short and straight even though you will feel good about your tee shot. 

All in all, it is one of the most interesting courses to negotiate that ive ever played and ive been lucky to play a lot of places.  I just got back from a great tour in scotland and it gives up nothing to the best over there.  Lets go

Sean Leary

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 08:17:23 PM »
Carne for me. Too high of expectations, a slow round, a long drive.

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 08:47:01 PM »
I was going through some photo tours of mine looking for inspiration concerning possible re-visits in 2012.  Sometimes one may get it wrong on a first visit and either be pleasantly surprised or bitterly disappointed with second and third goes.  I happen to look at the tour of Borth & Ynyslas I did in 2010 and my conclusion on the course was rather dismissive.  While at £40 the green fee isn't exactly cheap, but it also isn't crazy expensive.  The town is narsty, but easily avoided.   Looking at the pix, there seems to be a lot of good stuff going on even with the road causing some butt clenching moments (no fear, as part of the green fee one buys insurance for the day).  Perhaps I was overly harsh.  Has anyone else played B&Y?  If so, what are your thoughts?

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43575.msg944040.html#msg944040

What are some courses which your gut tells you that it wasn't given a fair shake?

Cuscowilla.  Played it twice, both times had to scratch my head as to where all the "love" is.  A few great holes, but IMHO a very ordinary layout, and poor bang for the buck and why do I have to  drag a forecaddy around each time?

Probably will give it another look in 2012, love playing golf in the Lake Okonee area.  Will give Cusco another look, not a bad course at all, but for the life of me it just feels rea reall overrated.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back