News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Finn

Re: Who here is on Twitter?
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 03:47:20 PM »
@bfinn12

I do not post much to twitter, but do read it often.  I would like to be added to the list.

Thank you.
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs), Kapalua Plantation...

Kirk Gill

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »
What do you get out of Twitter?

I only have used it to connect to people who seem to say interesting stuff. I haven't said much, personally.

If everyone follows your example and gets on Twitter, will you continue to get out of Twitter what you get out of Twitter now?

I haven't gotten much out of it, but it seems like famous people, and people who like them enjoy it a lot. I follow Lloyd Cole, for example, and he's always saying interesting stuff.

Aren't you a little concerned, as I am, that Twitter will turn into a combination of Fritter and Clutter?

To me, Twitter isn't that compelling, but just this morning on the radio I heard someone say that it had changed the world. But I'd say rather than Fritter and Clutter I'd go Twaddle and Blather.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Jim Colton

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »
I'm at @hriefs

I also started a Twitter list of GCA'ers and will continue to add to it with names provided below:

https://twitter.com/#!/hriefs/gca

If I had to follow only one person to follow on twitter, I'd follow Howard. He's like a world wide filter for interesting articles and content.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:09:48 PM by Jim Colton »

ChipOat

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
@ChipOat

I only Tweet about stocks; no personal stuff except one re: Steve Williams when Tiger canned him.

Otherwise, just business.

However, the more followers, the better.....................

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 04:37:23 PM »
@ChipOat

I only Tweet about stocks; no personal stuff except one re: Steve Williams when Tiger canned him.

Otherwise, just business.

However, the more followers, the better.....................

Chip,

Great to finally see a picture of you.  What do you think of Weyerhaeuser Co?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »

If I had to follow only one person to follow on twitter, I'd follow Howard. He likes a world wide filter for interesting articles and content.

Jim, that's kind of you to say. Thanks.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Sean Walsh

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 06:13:42 PM »
I'm on twitter but only follow if you want to read tweets about the glory of Tottenham Hotspur or the frustration at any of Melbourne Victory, Buffalo Bills or the Australian Cricket team.  Very little golf content.

Also no laughing at the unoriginal handle.  it is the same one I use whenever playing the xbox and on that particular service no-one is likely to get the reference. 

Now I've been using it for a year or so and don't know what to change it to. 

@oldtom29

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »
I'd like to pose a completely serious question, to those who are:

For, me Twitter is one of the greatest sources of information. By following people that tweet things that I find interesting, I have a constant feed of information available at any time and in any place. Use twitter as my newspaper.  Twitter was part of the reason I joined this site. I followed Rob Rigg and @truelinkswear which lead me to learn about Jim Colton's Ben Cox marathon. I then bought "one divot at at time" and decided GCA was a place I would in nicely.

If everyone follows your example and gets on Twitter, will you continue to get out of Twitter what you get out of Twitter now?

There are lots of people on twitter that have good things to say but I choose not to follow. Howard has started following me, but if he doesn't like my tweets and unfollows me I'm not offended, I may do the same to him (likely not)

Aren't you a little concerned, as I am, that Twitter will turn into a combination of Fritter and Clutter?

If you follow 1000's of people, i don't know how you can manage that stream. I follow around 500 people (about 70 of them are golf writers). The only time I get bugged is when Tiger makes an announcement or PGA does something big and I get 60 tweets that all say the same thing.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
I lost interest in Twitter when a golf buddy told me all of my tweets went directly to his phone.  Tweets and text messages are not interchangeable.

That was just the way your buddy had his account set up. You can have tweets from people delivered as texts if you wish, take it as a compliment.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »
I lost interest in Twitter when a golf buddy told me all of my tweets went directly to his phone.  Tweets and text messages are not interchangeable.

That was just the way your buddy had his account set up. You can have tweets from people delivered as texts if you wish, take it as a compliment.

I blocked him. He kept calling asking for me to explain.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »
Twitter is a good way of getting the news.  Follow a number of journalists in different fields and click the links that look interesting.

Also, these days half of the golf articles are just quotes from the twitter accounts of Rory, Luke Donald etc.

I'm on twitter but it is blocked here - will start posting again next week in NZ
@Pure_Golf

Joe Bausch

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 08:42:14 PM »
I can't believe anybody would have a Twitter account.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
@CognizantGolfer...mainly created as a way to keep followers of my website updated. 

I rarely use it for personal reasons. "I brushed my teeth with MINT toothpaste! Yay!"......who cares.  That $hit drives me nuts.
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
I can't believe anybody would...

Why not?

Twitter has allowed me to engage in direct exchanges with some decent writers from some well-known golf publications. We're not friends or nuttin', but the exchanges were rewarding.

You cull the ones you don't have use for and connect with the ones who might have something to say, show or link.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike_Young

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 10:14:56 PM »
Mike young  :   @mydgolf

Charlie Rymer:  @CharlieRymerGC
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Trey Kemp

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 10:22:48 PM »
@colligangolf
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Mike McGuire

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
@mikemcguire

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »
I'm not on Twitter (yet), either personally or "professionally." Don't plan to be, personally, ever.

I'd like to pose a completely serious question, to those who are:

The same thing you get out of other social media websites...a distraction from whatever you are supposed to be doing and a disconnection from important relationships that surround you.

And one more:

The total number of people "on Twitter" is irrelevant to what a person "gets out of Twitter"...if there is anything to get.  The more people you follow, the more you will know about what they know or think.  The more people that follow you, you will be able to share your ideas, thoughts, and food choices with them.  I like to think of Twitter as "mini-blogging".  Unless someone is reading...you're just tweeting!  ;D

Oh, and a third:

I'm not familiar with either. Hope I answered your questions.

As I said: These are serious questions, not meant to be smart-ass.
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 12:11:12 AM »
Dan & Joe
Twitter is a giant listening device
There are a number of reasons to have a twitter account or presence

Let's pretend you are H&R Block
Many people tweet about hating their taxes and a number of problems they have
H&R Block can find them and help them
They can also provide helpful information on timely news items
And be entertaining
#lightenupfellas

If I were a golf course I'd find anyone talking about playing and invite them to my course
There are lots of ways to search and communicate
#getcreativeyouturkeys

@nuzzogolfdesign
#cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 02:41:34 AM »
I guess my original post should have had an emoticon.  I thought my current signature file would be enough!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 04:04:51 AM »
Not!

Nor have I glommed onto any other social network. I simply refuse!

I am not a late adapter of technology, I now have the latest iphone 4s and use all it's utility but I refuse to buy into the social media craze.

Sorry, not for me... Although, I'm sure you all would find my everyday life to be completely fascinating...

Malcolm

Andrew Harris

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2011, 05:28:57 AM »
@hkgolfnews

Tim Bert

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2011, 08:38:12 AM »
@fiveclubwind (with Jim's blessing)

To answer one of Dan's questions, my primary use of Twitter is to follow baseball news. I follow it year round, but the coverage of the offseason as well as In July nearing the trade deadline is outstanding. A year ago I watched the Cliff Lee signing unfold on Twitter and saw the news break there and it was fascinating.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »
@RickShefchik

I got a Twitter account with the intention of using it as a promotional tool for my books, but I learned early on that nobody wants to follow somebody who is always selling stuff. Now when I tweet, it's usually a random observation that I hope no one else was brilliant enough to tweet first.

Twitter is a perpetual newscast for me now, when I choose to monitor it. Experts in every field I'm interested in -- golf, politics, music, baseball, publishing, etc. -- alert me to the latest news, way before I'd read it, get it on a newscast or even find it online.

I just checked my Twitter feed and came across this beauty from the New York Times:

"Memorial Service for Brooklyn Woman Set Afire in Elevator"

No further justification necessary.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »
In spite of my well-advertised "Twitter-averse"ness, I (or should I say "we"; the editorial "we," with which I edit my newspaper column [http://twincities.com/bulletinboard]) -- have joined the Twitterverse: @BBoardPP.

All of us "newsmen" are doing it.

All I can promise is: If you "follow" me, I'll do my best not to waste your time.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back