News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Things I’ve Learned & Things I Love…
« on: December 28, 2001, 10:22:30 AM »
It's years end and time for everyone to post thier lists. Some folks despise them while others are entertained by them.

Here is my cut at what this year and this wonderful pastime afforded me. Feel free to add yours. Hope everyone has a great New Year and looking forward to a great 2002.

-Dave Wilbur teaching us how & why  grass grows...
-The Line of Charm...
-Figuring out that this green that I’ve loved playing is actually a Biaritz... (How cool is that!!) :)
-Walking around Pinehurst for the first time...
-The anticipation Driving North on Route 97 out of North Platte, NE...
-Dick Daley’s passion for said Nebraska...
-40 degree’s Sunny, Windy and an empty course in November...
-Sneaking out of work, not to play golf, but to buy Doak & Co’s. McKenzie book once it was released...
-Jeremy Glenn’s passion...
-Paul Daley’s book...
-Dan King’s quotes...
-Trying to pick our courses from 35K feet...
-All of us wondering if Noel was OK on 9/11...
-Hearing from Noel that same day...
-Watching guys like Jeff Brauer, Gil Hanse, Steve Smeyers, Tom Doak, Mike Devries actually share their thoughts w/ us... (Do you think Emeril or Charlie Trotter would do this regularly on a Cooking  DG??)
-Finally understanding what a “Heathland” course was...
-Driving by Crstal Downs and getting a glimse...
-Pat Mucci standing up for a friend...
-For all the wrong reasons, BarneyF/JakaB, BY, Johnny Thunders and all the other mystical characters here...
-The amazing pictures...
-The first off in the AM and the last off in the PM...
-Dr. Katz...
-Trying to figure out how I am ever going to get to Scotland & Ireland...
-Mike C's dad home for Christmas...
-Merion, Pine Valley, NGLA & Shinnecock. Is there a quartet of courses which evoke more passion?..
-Watching my 4 year old daughter tee one up and take a rip when I never encouraged her...
-Trying to get a glimpse of Cypress Point every time I’m on 17 Mile Drive and now knowing why!..
-Ayn Rand & Golf Course Architecture. Only here!!..
-The Writers: Brad, Gib, Lorne, Darren, Geoff, Jeff, David Wexler & others…
-The Supers: Pete, Mike & others…
-The Archs: Hanse, Devries, Doak, Brauer, Ian & others…
-The Passionate,  Knowledgable & Utterly Amazing  -  Rich, Tommy, Tom Mac, TE, Pat & others…
-The Charachters, Huckster, Gib, King, Nacaratto, Slag, & others…
-The mysterious BY, Gene, Johnny Thunders, JakaB & others…
-The Pizza Man...
-Ran & John, for without them, where would we be?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Integrity in the moment of choice

Brian Phillips

Re: Things I’ve Learned & Things I Love…
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2001, 10:32:40 AM »
Where the hell has Dave Wilber dissappeared to?  He said he was going to Scotland earlier this year and that is the last time I heard him on this site.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Ed_Baker

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2001, 02:30:21 PM »
Cool list John f.
I would say ditto and....

The opportunity to meet,play golf, and get drunk with golf's most beloved figure.

The opportunity to meet,play golf several times and become friends with Pizza Man! ( He still won't post, but I'm working on him!) By the way, he spent a week at "ground zero" helping with food and equipment on his own dime, now that's CLASS!!! Don't be mad at me for patting you on the back Bill,you deserve it!

Playing as much "Gowf" as competitive golf and having more fun,even though my skills are eroding at an alarming rate.

Finally realizing after two years of lurking and posting on this site that a golf course doesn't have to be old to be great.

Taking solace in the fact that many talented professional architects are fighting the good fight for informed restoration, Wilmington comes to mind as an example.

Increasing my understanding of "maintainence meld" to the point that I may be able to impart that information to others with out assaulting them.That there are "degrees" that can be implemented within existing budgets that still can have a dramatically positive effect.

Not being ashamed of comparing a round at NGLA to sex. The instant I was finished I knew I would do it again!

Getting pleasure out of a noticable swelling of the ranks of GCA active posters. Thar's mo of us in them thar hills than you think!

And the delicious prospect of meeting and playing golf with many more of you in the seasons to come.

A wish for a safe,healthy,New Year to you all.

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2001, 10:35:42 PM »
Just found the site in August which was one of the coolest things that happened this year. Now I can actually start learning more about something I've been interested in for close to ten years.
Meeting Mike DeVries at the Meadow Club along with a bunch of NorCal GCA guys and seeing Mikes work there, playing some holes as a six or sevensome, and then eating/drinking and talking golf architecture into the night. What a great introduction to some of the guys of the GCA.

Playing golf at some courses I never dreamed possible due to the generosity of likeminded GCA'ers.

Meeting and having lunch with Neal Meagher talking architecture.

Meeting Jim Wagner (Gil Hanse associate) at Rustic Canyon and having him take a couple of hours out of his day to describe what they are doing there. Having Jim drawing golf holes in the dirt with his finger to describe strategy was very educational and demonstrated to me his passion for his work.

Many other rounds and great memories in just these few short months, I can't wait for winter to be over!
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

BillV

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2001, 03:19:35 AM »
Great list john.

Developing an education in this arena started with a few events, but the realization long ago that what I had perceived a "bad" hole was just my inability to repeatedly execute the type(s) of shot(s) required was a revelation leading to this field of study of the game for me.

My favorite from the internet still remains meeting a new character from this group for the first time.  Finding the face and swing to fit the opinions, ideas and preferences already learned. It's fun unlike any other.  It remains so in 2001 and will in 2002.

It's nice to have a group that has the core of the game as the source of passion because once you understand the dirt you understand the game, whether it was Hogan digging out the secret or learning why what stimulates and confounds us actually does so.

"I've never met a stiff that was into Golf Architecture."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back